ADVERTISEMENT

Home from the game.

TNCatfanforever

All-American
Apr 3, 2003
Mount Juliet Tn
Since I only live about 30 miles east of Nashville I normally try to make this one game each year to see the Cats. This is Cal's least talented team since the Noel - Goodwin team. Without our 4 star Alexander we would be in big trouble. He is the only player we have who is hard to guard. Everyone else allows themselves to be guarded. We allowed the worst Vandy team in many years to take us to the wire...thank goodness for three missed free throws by a 90% percent shooter. We are really long and play fairly good defense. On offense we just look slow and have no one other than Alexander who can create their own shot. Diallo makes horrible decisions..Knox disappeared the first half. Washington looked uninspired. Gabriel hustles his butt off. Richards and Jones are both very mediocre. We look like a 5 seed and may not make it past the first weekend. This team is the second worst team I have seen at UK since BCG left. Thankfully Vandy shot 9 % from three in the first half and 6-27 for the game or it would have been a long afternoon.. We did guard the three but they miss a bunch of shots I see them often make.

Since I only live about 30 miles east of Nashville I normally try to make this one game each year to see the Cats. This is Cal's least talented team since the Noel - Goodwin team. Without our 4 star Alexander we would be in big trouble. He is the only player we have who is hard to guard. Everyone else allows themselves to be guarded. We allowed the worst Vandy team in many years to take us to the wire...thank goodness for three missed free throws by a 90% percent shooter. We are really long and play fairly good defense. On offense we just look slow and have no one other than Alexander who can create their own shot. Diallo makes horrible decisions..Knox disappeared the first half. Washington looked uninspired. Gabriel hustles his butt off. Richards and Jones are both very mediocre. We look like a 5 seed and may not make it past the first weekend. This team is the second worst team I have seen at UK since BCG left. Thankfully Vandy shot 9 % from three in the first half and 6-27 for the game or it would have been a long afternoon.. We did guard the three but they miss a bunch of shots I see them often make.
Valid points

The threads are always great to look back on in March. As verbatim this same thing is said like every season minus maybe 2010 and 2014. WE are missing 4 of the 11-12 scholarship players ! We are the youngest team literally since Pomeray has tracked such stats. We have zero upperclassmen. And Still we are on track to win our conference , the 2nd best conference in basketball this season. We are exceptionally good considering all these facts. But yes lets look at all the negatives. LMAO. People complain when the SEC sucks and say blowing the SEC out doesn't matter ect ect but when it is damn good (hell IMO Ole MIss is the worst team in the league and they beat UF ) but when the SEC is brutally good like this season and we are still winning credit is given either. Every game will be a war except maybe 1-2 . This is a good thing.

The threads are always great to look back on in March. As verbatim this same thing is said like every season minus maybe 2010 and 2014. WE are missing 4 of the 11-12 scholarship players ! We are the youngest team literally since Pomeray has tracked such stats. We have zero upperclassmen. And Still we are on track to win our conference , the 2nd best conference in basketball this season. We are exceptionally good considering all these facts. But yes lets look at all the negatives. LMAO.
Third best

Thanks for the first hand report. Hope when Green comes back, that it helps everyone play better.

Reactions: RonEJones
I agree with everything you said, I think Shai was bumped up to 5 star status, but you are correct we would be in bad shape without him. PJ has got have that switch on all the time, his passes are really bad. Gabriel kept us in the game, hope we can get better each week and keep improving and be more consistent, I believe the is the weakest class of big men we have had in a while as far as getting better.

Washington is getting better at getting his own shot in the paint. If we give it to him with some spacing he can face up and take most guys guarding him to the rack.

Still have 2 months to get the kinks out. Let's hope they can get most of them ironed out.

Once again, I saw a short handed group of freshmen get their second road win in the SEC. Regardless of Vandy’s record, any win on the road for a young group missing their pg is a huge positive.

Looking forward to the day they are playing with a full roster.

Once again, I saw a short handed group of freshmen get their second road win in the SEC. Regardless of Vandy’s record, any win on the road for a young group missing their pg is a huge positive.

Looking forward to the day they are playing with a full roster.
I don't think we will see that this year

Since the 2013 team was in the NIT and the 2014 team was an 8 seed, I'll take it. Plus a much, much tougher SEC to help get us ready for that 5 seed.

Geez dude...we're 14-3 and we won the game on the road without a key player. It's OK.
1. Good news is we're not without SGA...he's on our team and isn't going anywhere (this year anyway).
2. Hami, SGA, and Knox look slow to you? Really?
3. Well, Vandy was 17-18 from the line at one point so maybe LaChance was reversion to the mean.
4. Knox and Diallo can't create their own shot? PJ can't drive and make something happen? This team is nearly 50% from the field for the year and were 54% today.

I respectfully submit the glass half full take.

I was following your post fairly well until you made the statement that this team plays fairly good defense. That is just about the most preposterous thing you could have said. This team puts no effort into defense at all. Only Alexander is capable of guarding a man by himself. Everyone else requires assistance. All of the players are lazy and put all their effort into the offense. No one wants to play defense and this team is without a doubt Coach Cal's worst defensive team and rivals some of Tubby's teams in defensive ineptness.

I think these kids deserve some credit for winning a road game that is always a tough place for our kids.We only had 7 players.
It is indeed a tough place to win in. UK fans were about 50% of the crowd. It was one of the worst games that Vandy has played against us. Normally they are on fire but they left a lot on the floor against UT on Tuesday night. I really hope most of these guys come back. Gabriel is playing so much better. Richards has a long ways to go as does Jones. Knox and Washington could use another year. Alexander is the most draft ready. Diallo is athletic but makes poor selfish decisions.

Geez dude...we're 14-3 and we won the game on the road without a key player. It's OK.
1. Good news is we're not without SGA...he's on our team and isn't going anywhere (this year anyway).
2. Hami, SGA, and Knox look slow to you? Really?
3. Well, Vandy was 17-18 from the line at one point so maybe LaChance was reversion to the mean.
4. Knox and Diallo can't create their own shot? PJ can't drive and make something happen? This team is nearly 50% from the field for the year and were 54% today.

I respectfully submit the glass half full take.
I just wrote what I saw sitting at mid court.

our offense is fine if diallo and Knox would learn to stop taking selfishly bad shots...

It’s our lazy ass defense that makes me want to punch kittens

You mean the Cat on top? The one on the floor is playing some mean defense...
tumblr_m5iisuxkJB1qduen9o1_500.gif

Thanks TNC. I think you’re spot on with your post. We’re not a great basketball team. We’re going to take some ass whippings. @West Virginia, @Auburn, @Florida come to mind. I would be ecstatic if we can make it to the second weekend of the tournament. If so, I will consider it Cal’s best coaching job.

There will likely be a sanctimonious thread tomorrow about how this board is now terrible even after win.

I think we should hold off on some of the criticism until we have our full contingent of guys.
Plus, road games are hard for even veteran teams. You get taken right out of your normal on the road and do uncharacteristic things and that's how good teams lose to bad teams on the road. But we won while missing 4 guys. Green and Vanderbilt give this team a huge boost.
But here's something else that grinds my gears. Why is it every time we beat a team that didn't shoot as well as they usually do, we have to make it seem like UK got lucky and caught them on a bad night? Yeah, they missed some open threes, but they miss open threes in every game, even when they're on fire. Our guys guarded the three point arch really well today, just leave it at that.
Also, just remember what we did to ULOL, those were our players in those Kentucky uniforms and they are capable of playing like that, yes.

Last edited:
You mean the Cat on top? The one on the floor is playing some mean defense...
tumblr_m5iisuxkJB1qduen9o1_500.gif
The one on top is how we defend straight line drives,everyone goes by us just about as fast as the bottom one(even Vandy's slow white guys who look like they should be in high school)

It is indeed a tough place to win in. UK fans were about 50% of the crowd. It was one of the worst games that Vandy has played against us. Normally they are on fire but they left a lot on the floor against UT on Tuesday night. I really hope most of these guys come back. Gabriel is playing so much better. Richards has a long ways to go as does Jones. Knox and Washington could use another year. Alexander is the most draft ready. Diallo is athletic but makes poor selfish decisions.

I will say Diallo has a make a play when we need it gene though so I can't complain to much about hunting his shot.

Reactions: BassProCat
I was there as well, but we were sitting behind the basket. We made a lot of goofy mistakes, yes. We’d get our hands on rebounds and lose the ball, or foul a three point shot (twice)...Gabriel made some crazy plays but had much more energy than anyone on the court and saved us several times. Funny. I had my four daughters with me. They asked “why does Vandy pass around so smoothly and seem to have plays, but we seem like we are just are freelancing it?”. It does look that way. Vandy was not their typical self when we play them. They weren’t shooting 3’s out of their butts, (Lachance was cold as could be) and their big men got in foul trouble and seemed to lay off. Our guys seemed much more athletic, but more spastic.
We have a long way to go, but seeing only 7 guys lined up for the National Anthem and then Green, not dressed and then the rest of the options, I was overjoyed with the W.
I loved how loud GO BIG BLUE would get anytime we went on a run in THEIR gym. Another reason we go to this game every year.

2nd worst team since BCG? Seriously. There is no dominant team this year. In 2014 UConn wasn’t so great either, but they somehome managed to survive games and win the NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 83Cat
dont get me wrong this team makes their share of mistakes, but to say they are worse

By your analysis the 2010 and 2012 teams would be some of the worst teams as well.

2/20/2010 Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 58 - 56
2/11/2012 [URL='http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/2011-12.html']Kentucky
at Vanderbilt W 69 - 63
[/URL]

What it all comes down to is how well any team plays on the given night. It doesn't matter how good or how bad they are. Riley Lachance a 90% FT shooter misses 4 in a row. That 90% means squat if you miss. One of the reasons they missed a lot of the shots they normally make is because we were way longer than they were and they had to hurry to get the shot off.

Reactions: CatTough

30 miles east of Nashville? Tullahoma?

Something else to consider as well is that this Vandy team is getting thumped. They have quite a few close loses. Most of those games could have gone either way. They just can't finish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT