ADVERTISEMENT

HOF'er Jim Taylor Dies

How old are you?
I was born in 1943 when FDR was president. Unfortunately I had two childhood friends die this week and most of my long time buddies are fading away. Not many left now. Been around awhile and saw some of the best teams and players in the history of sports. The Packers were one of those great teams. Football was a little different then

Years ago, I was out by the pool at a hotel in Nashville and a guy walked up to go into the door of the hotel. I said to him, "does anyone ever tell you that you look like Bart Starr?" He turned around and said, "yes, all the time because that's who I am". I'm never "starstruck", but I was then. He shook my hand and I proceeded to tell him how big a fan I was of him and the Pack. We talked a little about what he was doing and then he said he was going up to his room to watch the preseason game the Browns were playing. It was Tim Couch's first game in the NFL. I told him I lived about 30 minutes from where Tim lived and even refereed a few of his game. He said Tim seemed like a good kid and he hoped that he did well.

I was born in 1943 when FDR was president. Unfortunately I had two childhood friends die this week and most of my long time buddies are fading away. Not many left now. Been around awhile and saw some of the best teams and players in the history of sports. The Packers were one of those great teams. Football was a little different then
Keep it up brother

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Years ago, I was out by the pool at a hotel in Nashville and a guy walked up to go into the door of the hotel. I said to him, "does anyone ever tell you that you look like Bart Starr?" He turned around and said, "yes, all the time because that's who I am". I'm never "starstruck", but I was then. He shook my hand and I proceeded to tell him how big a fan I was of him and the Pack. We talked a little about what he was doing and then he said he was going up to his room to watch the preseason game the Browns were playing. It was Tim Couch's first game in the NFL. I told him I lived about 30 minutes from where Tim lived and even refereed a few of his game. He said Tim seemed like a good kid and he hoped that he did well.
Great, great story. Bart Starr played for Alabama and came very close to signing with UK when Coach Bryant was here. The story goes he had a girl friend back home in Alabama and didn't want to leave her. Bama had offered so he signed with them. This was about the same time as Paul Hornung and he wanted to go to UK but being a good Catholic boy went to Notre Dame. What if we had both of them during their college days. Things we have missed out on over the years. LOL

Reactions: Chuckinden
As a lifetime Packer fan from the Starr, Hornung and Taylor era, I really hate to hear this.

Said he became a better runner when Lombardi got there because he taught him how to run around players instead of thru them.

I like this one:

august-22-1966-sports-illustrated-cover-football-portrait-of-green-picture-id81370534

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT