Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
UK MEDIA RELATIONS I Share: bit.ly/2mhFYmq
BASEBALL

Jan. 9, 2018

Sean Hjelle, Tristan Pompey Named Preseason All-Americans

Reigning SEC Pitcher of the Year, top returning position player recognized

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky juniors Sean Hjelle and Tristan Pompey have been named preseason First-Team All-Americans by Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game, respectively. The honor follows a 2017 season that saw each player burst onto the national scene with eye-opening performances.

Hjelle, the reigning Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Year, earned first-team honors from Collegiate Baseball and third-team recognition from Perfect Game. The 6-foot-11 junior from White Bear Lake, Minnesota went 11-4 with a 3.89 earned run average in 2017, striking out 102 hitters in 108.1 innings. The 11 victories are the fourth-most in a single season in UK history.

As the Wildcats’ Friday night starter, Hjelle was even better in SEC play, going 7-1 with a 1.90 ERA, becoming the first player in school history to win SEC Pitcher of the Year. He is now 15-5 in two seasons, good for a .750 career winning percentage that ranks third on UK’s all-time chart.

Pompey, who was a First-Team All-SEC and Third-Team All-American in 2017, was recognized on the strength of his incredible sophomore season. The Toronto, Ontario native was named preseason First-Team All-American by Perfect Game and Third-Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball.

The 6-foot-4 outfielder hit .361 with 18 doubles, 10 home runs, 45 RBI and 70 runs scored in 2017. He set the UK single-season record for at bats (266) and his 96 hits ranked second nationally and third on the school’s single-season chart. Pompey also ranked among the nation’s elite players in runs scored with 70, which was fifth nationally and third on UK’s single-season list. He had 29 multi-hit games and enters the 2018 season with a 37-game reached base streak.

The Wildcats are ranked No. 8 in Collegiate Baseball’s preseason poll and open their season at Wofford on Feb. 16.

Reactions: Old_Red
Sure wish we could get the baseball link on the forum pulldown. Can't see it as that hard to do and would help make the forum more visible.

Sure wish we could get the baseball link on the forum pulldown. Can't see it as that hard to do and would help make the forum more visible.

I will second that. I forgot about the baseball forum for months at one point and then had to do some real searching to find it.

I will second that. I forgot about the baseball forum for months at one point and then had to do some real searching to find it.

I have it set up to notify me if there are any new posts. There aren't enough to make it annoying and it makes sure I don't miss anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT