ADVERTISEMENT

HILLBILLY ELEGY

I watched it. It was ok. Didn’t seem offensive towards KY.

The movie mentioned him feeling most at home in KY and showed him there as a pre-teen. But moved to OH. He took up for rednecks in a fancy dinner outing while he was in college (movie). His family, mainly mother, was a mess.

I suggest the documentary Hillbilly showing why so many people in Appalachia voted for Donald Trump. It is very well done and I got a lot out of it. Was made by a woman who moved to LA but grew up in Pike County and went to UK. Well worth the 2 hour watch
I just finished watching the documentary. It started out pretty good, then half way through it went straight to the sexual orientation of people in Appalachia and If you supported Trump and not Clinton you were pretty much the stereotype that I thought was trying to be dispelled. Typical.

Reactions: BigSexyCat
I've yet to watch a Netflix film that I would rate higher than a C. Watched this movie last night, and that streak still holds.

I did think that the acting was very good. The lead actor that played adult JD was great, as were Amy Adams and Glenn Close. The storytelling was a bit muddled through. Nothing original happened in that entire movie. Nothing in the story made me care about any of the characters. And I was waiting to hear a tale about Hillbillies, and that never happened. It was about a white trash family from Ohio. The grandmother was a redneck and the mom a bipolar drug addict. A totally forgettable movie, IMHO.

Excellent review , I felt the same

The acting was great. Adams and Close were awesome. JD's character and his sister were really good as well. Surprisingly, I think the issues are with Ron Howard. Why did they use a reflection style? Not necessary. If I hadn't read the book, I would've been very confused at the timeline. Almost no info on his life in the hills. I figured the book would be hard to translate because his story is only a portion of what made it a great book.

I felt a connection with the characters but it also hits really close to home.

I suggest the documentary Hillbilly showing why so many people in Appalachia voted for Donald Trump. It is very well done and I got a lot out of it. Was made by a woman who moved to LA but grew up in Pike County and went to UK. Well worth the 2 hour watch

I saw it... was very good.

Are there no actors in Hollywood that can pull off a true Appalachian accent? Bugs me to no end. Even though people moved north, 99% of them born and raised there never lost that accent, even though their kids born up north probably did. Although I speak proper English. I still retain an obvious Southern drawl more than 50 years after moving from the hills.

Last edited:
Are there no actors in Hollywood that can pull off a true Appalachian accent? Bugs me to no end. Even though people moved north, 99% of them born and raised there never lost that accent, even though their kids born up north probably did. Although I speak proper English. I still retain an obvious Southern drawl more than 50 years after moving from the hills.

I tried out for a bit part in Justified. They said I sounded like too big of a hick....

Reactions: RunninRichie

I tired to watch that documentary and was disappointed. People make money from stereotyping Appalachia. Aside from the geography Appalachia is no different than other economically depressed rural communities in America. However, the loss of the coal economy was/is devastating to that region. It's changed for the worse in the last ten or so years with an exodus of people leaving to find work and drug use skyrocketing. This is what happens when jobs leave town. One thing I'll never do is as an outsider try to tell give my opinion on what is wrong with town X without ever living there. If you want to know then go to the source.

Reactions: parrott
Read the book - thought it was good, not great. Same thoughts on the movie. Good, not great.

Ron plays it safe staying on the non offensive side of the color line when it comes to society's problems but he make a great movie about white pimps in "Night Shift"

ADVERTISEMENT