ADVERTISEMENT

HILLBILLY ELEGY

Glenn Close was good.

The story flopped around a bit. The mom was supposedly smart but it wasn’t demonstrated in one instance in the movie. She was a complete weirdo.

B-

She was definitely a weirdo but that movie personified everything I hate about the (white) intolerant condescending coastal ivy-league d-bags that have this sense of superiority over middle America. These are the smug assholes that probably couldn’t change out a basic light fixture or change out a flat tire. No one is impressed with your ability to say big words, jack.

F Off

Loved the book, will probably watch the movie this weekend. I know, and am kin to these people. They just have different names, are in a different state and in an earlier time.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Loved the book, will probably watch the movie this weekend. I know, and am kin to these people. They just have different names, are in a different state and in an earlier time.

I read the book as well and was pretty disappointed to be honest. Didn't learn a whole lot I didn't already know about Appalachia

I read the book as well and was pretty disappointed to be honest. Didn't learn a whole lot I didn't already know about Appalachia

As I said, I already knew and was kin to those same people, and as a born and raised Appalachian American, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but I enjoyed the read because it brought back a lot of memories. Death at Mud Lick by Eric Eyere is another book that I enjoyed. I know those people as well.

I suggest the documentary Hillbilly showing why so many people in Appalachia voted for Donald Trump. It is very well done and I got a lot out of it. Was made by a woman who moved to LA but grew up in Pike County and went to UK. Well worth the 2 hour watch

She was definitely a weirdo but that movie personified everything I hate about the (white) intolerant condescending coastal ivy-league d-bags that have this sense of superiority over middle America. These are the smug assholes that probably couldn’t change out a basic light fixture or change out a flat tire. No one is impressed with your ability to say big words, jack.

F Off

And in another thread, people are wondering why Conservatives are making their own media and platforms to come around similar ideas.

"Here's the 2,000th piece of media this year that basically shits all over you.. What? What do you mean you're leaving?! You can't do that? You're just supposed to take it!"

I suggest the documentary Hillbilly showing why so many people in Appalachia voted for Donald Trump. It is very well done and I got a lot out of it. Was made by a woman who moved to LA but grew up in Pike County and went to UK. Well worth the 2 hour watch

Netflix?

I was born and raised in the mountains of Kentucky and wasn't that impressed with his book.

It's like mt dew mouth and the news specials over the years only going to interview those in squalor. Not everyone is toothless, addicted, moron no matter what people in ny and Cali think. Life is tough but not impossible.

He's a fraud because he left breathitt county (iirc) when he was two and never returned. He only sells himself as appalachian for commercial reasons.

I've yet to watch a Netflix film that I would rate higher than a C. Watched this movie last night, and that streak still holds.

I did think that the acting was very good. The lead actor that played adult JD was great, as were Amy Adams and Glenn Close. The storytelling was a bit muddled through. Nothing original happened in that entire movie. Nothing in the story made me care about any of the characters. And I was waiting to hear a tale about Hillbillies, and that never happened. It was about a white trash family from Ohio. The grandmother was a redneck and the mom a bipolar drug addict. A totally forgettable movie, IMHO.

I felt bad about her experience in Lexington while at UK. She's a little younger than me, but I hope I wasn't like one of those D bags that treated her like crap because she came from Eastern Kentucky

I went to UK and dated a gal from Eastern KY. I wasn’t from the state so I didn’t know any better anyway, but I never felt like anyone from the Eastern part of the state were treated differently.

I felt bad about her experience in Lexington while at UK. She's a little younger than me, but I hope I wasn't like one of those D bags that treated her like crap because she came from Eastern Kentucky

Eastern Kentuckians were always best drinkers at UK...

Have not read the book nor seen the movie. But is it correct that the guy that wrote didn't even grow up in Kentucky? If so why should I care? I grew up in Owensboro. I have family in California. Would anyone give a crap about a book I wrote about California (especially considering I've never been there)?

Reactions: BigSexyCat
Have not read the book nor seen the movie. But is it correct that the guy that wrote didn't even grow up in Kentucky? If so why should I care? I grew up in Owensboro. I have family in California. Would anyone give a crap about a book I wrote about California (especially considering I've never been there)?
The connection to Kentucky was very flimsy. As myself and others have pointed out in this thread, this is PWT Ohio edition.

But is it correct that the guy that wrote didn't even grow up in Kentucky

He left at 2 years old and never returned. Until he lent his name to the large agribusiness in the state that just got huge funding (I assume he did actually come here for something related to that). I'm sure that was a very nice payday for basically nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT