ADVERTISEMENT

Higgins versus BBN

Look at the 1:17 mark of this video. Who is standing there watching the Cornell player push Deandre Liggins to the floor before hitting a three?

Look at the 1:05:00 mark on this one. Cousins grabbed from behind and wrapped up. No intentional foul called even though he's taken to the floor.

The UNC game this past spring had a ton also. The foul at the end of the half on Fox was especially egregious. Then the time where he called a foul a full 5-10 seconds after it allegedly occurred only after it became obvious we had gained possession of the ball and were heading down court on a fast break.

No one says we couldn't have played better or some coaches decisions could have been better in these games. As Cal says, as a referee just be consistent and call the game the same way for both teams.

Higgins is never that with us. He has an obvious agenda. It has been so bad in games involving us I turn off the game because I know what the outcome will be and I can't put my heart and brain though it!

Someone needs to post the mix tape of all these games and bad calls this guy has made. Not even close calls, just criminally bad and corrupt calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: morgousky and GG24
If Mitch Barnhart had an alias it'd be Ben Dover. Because that's what he does for anybody who pressures him instead of aggressively fighting for Kentucky. If he thought he could do something important for UK basketball or football, but some powerful person might yell at him or snub him at the next NCAA cocktail party, he'd look the other way every time.
I realize this is a popular opinion now among the naysayers, but it is fundamentally untrue.

I don't see anyone talking about refs plural. I see everyone talking about one ref, backed up by video evidence in multiple games. You'd have to be either a moron or intellectually dishonest to watch the clip included in this thread and the other video evidence and deny something is up.

Watching for 40 years, I've never once thought or said this. I know what I've seen. By denying such obviously biased and corrupt actions by a ref, people condone it. Incredible that UK fans actually do this.

Here's the thing though, UNC fans can make a clip of the missed calls/bad calls against them in our last game, and it will look just as blatant as the clip we have of Higgins in that game.

Any team can do the same. The reason is because refs miss calls and make bad calls AGAINST both teams in every game. The fix is not in. If it was, then they would not have let us have a lead late in those games.

Here's the thing though, UNC fans can make a clip of the missed calls/bad calls against them in our last game, and it will look just as blatant as the clip we have of Higgins in that game.

Any team can do the same. The reason is because refs miss calls and make bad calls AGAINST both teams in every game. The fix is not in. If it was, then they would not have let us have a lead late in those games.

Usually I would agree. Not with Higgins. Way too many video clips corresponding with losses from the NCAA tournament. Missed calls are one thing. Blatently incorrect or phantom calls are quite another.

So you watch the clip in post 59 on this thread and think, damn he made a mistake there? There is no way an honest official can make the call he made there. The UCONN player literally threw himself onto the ground with no contact RIGHT IN FRONT of Higgins!

Also, I dispute that claim. No team can put together a video montage of ONE referee in the last game of the NCAA for their team in three recent years where the ref is making multiple momentum changing decisions that make no sense.

They may be able to put together a clip of several refs in games throughout the seasons, not ONE ref in season ending games in three recent years.

Reactions: GG24
Also, I dispute that claim. No team can put together a video montage of ONE referee in the last game of the NCAA for their team in three recent years where the ref is making multiple momentum changing decisions that make no sense.

They may be able to put together a clip of several refs in games throughout the seasons, not ONE ref in season ending games in three recent years.

I would be willing to bet that they could if they had the same ref for their last game in the NCAA tourney for the past three years.

Also, how do you explain the bad calls he made/missed against UNC in our last game? Did he cheat against both teams?

I would be willing to bet that they could if they had the same ref for their last game in the NCAA tourney for the past three years.

Also, how do you explain the bad calls he made/missed against UNC in our last game? Did he cheat against both teams?

I'd have to see them, they obviously didn't have the same impact as putting many of our main players on the bench early in the game on phantom calls. There is timing and momentum to consider on all of these.

I would be VERY surprised if any team could show where ONE particular ref put them out of the tournament in three years over the past five. I'll admit I'm wrong if someone can produce proof like we have. We'll just have to disagree.

You still didn't answer about the gif at post #59 in this thread. How can an honest ref make that call?

Ok, let's add some perspective.

First, for those of you that think Mitch could fix a problem with Higgins, I want you to go resolve the problem in North Korea. NOW DAMN IT! Oh? You don't have either the influence, responsibility or authority? Not a fair request? Ok, now you are learning.

Second, we had some fans that acted like total dicks. Death threats? Maybe, maybe not. Inappropriate calls? No doubt but doesn't matter. The issue is no longer Higgins. The issue is whether our "special" fans have introduced a seed of bias and motivation among a much larger group of officials. Can we ever get a fair whistle now? I see this as a very real threat. *Queue the whining about they were just fans and nobody pays attention to poor little fans*

Third, Barnhart had no influence over how we were seeded in the NCAA tourney. See the first item. That screaming you hear is what happens when you toss the bath water without checking for the baby first.

Lastly, if one starts applying pressure to someone to force them to influence things over which they have zero control, you start introducing motivation for corruption. This is the recipe for making a Jurich. This is the proof that the UL boosters and administration really are a bunch of idiots as compared to the UK boosters and administration. Let's not follow their lead into a world of crap.

If you can Barnhart, you do it for lack of performance in areas where he truly has responsibility. You don't do it for failure to strong arm refs or what is already a corrupt tourney selection process. For things that are actually in his realm of responsibility, I suspect the guy is well above the curve for performance.
I believe most fans would like officials to be trained by and employees of the conference they officiate thereby creating accountability in some from .

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat78Scot
I believe most fans would like officials to be trained by and employees of the conference they officiate thereby creating accountability in some from .

I agree this is a step in the right direction. After the debacle with The Filth, I believe the NCAA is corrupt beyond redemption. The game we watch now is frankly a step below professional wrestling.

That said, I don't have a lot of faith in the conferences either. There is WAY too much money involved. I'd prefer to see the officials governed by a totally independent group and compensated on a fee basis by competing teams with equal shares. I'd prefer to see them selected on a regional lottery basis. I'd also like to see an independent review/auditing process which is TOTALLY opaque to the NCAA, fans and teams (the order is significant). These are the three most biased entities and, as such, are not appropriate for audit or review. Only findings would be made public to all entities at the same time. A rigorous training process would also be required.

I'd have to see them, they obviously didn't have the same impact as putting many of our main players on the bench early in the game on phantom calls. There is timing and momentum to consider on all of these.

I would be VERY surprised if any team could show where ONE particular ref put them out of the tournament in three years over the past five. I'll admit I'm wrong if someone can produce proof like we have. We'll just have to disagree.

You still didn't answer about the gif at post #59 in this thread. How can an honest ref make that call?

They had the EXACT same impact they did for us. Those calls put a few of their players on the bench as well. You can find replays of the game online, you should go watch it again because you might be forgetting a few things. In the end of the day, UNC made more plays than us and that is why they won the game. Exactly the opposite of what happened earlier in Vegas, although their fans will blame a few bad calls I'm sure.

For your second point, I'm not sure anyone outside of a few fans here care enough to put together such a clip. I sure don't and won't. So, I guess we will just have to disagree.

Those were some very bad calls/missed calls. But, my question is: Why would he miss/make similar bad calls against our opponents if he was out to get us? It just doesn't make sense that he would equally screw over both teams if he had a vendetta against only one of them...or maybe he wants both teams to lose?

They had the EXACT same impact they did for us. Those calls put a few of their players on the bench as well. You can find replays of the game online, you should go watch it again because you might be forgetting a few things. In the end of the day, UNC made more plays than us and that is why they won the game. Exactly the opposite of what happened earlier in Vegas, although their fans will blame a few bad calls I'm sure.

For your second point, I'm not sure anyone outside of a few fans here care enough to put together such a clip. I sure don't and won't. So, I guess we will just have to disagree.

Those were some very bad calls/missed calls. But, my question is: Why would he miss/make similar bad calls against our opponents if he was out to get us? It just doesn't make sense that he would equally screw over both teams if he had a vendetta against only one of them...or maybe he wants both teams to lose?

Yeah, definitely disagree, I remember the game just fine. I'll go back to the point you keep evading. What about the gif on here, post #59. How can an honest official make that call?

I don't believe there is "a fix in". Something that big and organized would be too difficult to keep secret. But I do believe there are certain teams and/or coaches that certain referees have a bias "for" or "against". That is human nature. Clearly either UK or Calipari is on the "against" list for Higgins. The UK-UNC game was so bad that the NCAA had to go in at half-time and talk to the refs and tell them to stop being so blatantly biased. You can't tell me that happens very often. And the 2nd half was better. Yes some calls will be missed! In the first half of that game it was probably 90-10 in favor of UNC, and the 2nd half maybe 55-45 in favor of UK. Unfortunately the last missed call, travel on the final shot, went against UK. Although, especially in the tournament, refs swallow their whistle in the final seconds of games, so that the travel was not called is not a surprise, not because it was against UK, but because of when it occurred.

I don't see anyone talking about refs plural. I see everyone talking about one ref, backed up by video evidence in multiple games. You'd have to be either a moron or intellectually dishonest to watch the clip included in this thread and the other video evidence and deny something is up.

Watching for 40 years, I've never once thought or said this. I know what I've seen. By denying such obviously biased and corrupt actions by a ref, people condone it. Incredible that UK fans actually do this.

Not to mention the statistical evidence. That we are 1-5 (17%) in games vs a competitive opponent when Higgins officiates, compared to a MUCH higher winning % (vs a competitive opponent) when he doesn't.

Seth Greenberg said it was common knowledge that certain refs have it out for certain coaches, and Higgins has it out for Cal.

Yeah, definitely disagree, I remember the game just fine. I'll go back to the point you keep evading. What about the gif on here, post #59. How can an honest official make that call?

Ok, I think we've spent too much time on refs. But, to answer your question, I am not evading anything. I am not saying that was a good call or that Higgins is an honest person or official. I am simply saying that he clearly made bad calls/missed calls against other teams, while we were playing them. I provided an example where it could clearly (and easily) have led to UK winning the game against UNC last year, and then I asked why he would if he clearly wanted UK to lose. That is all.

Now, I will choose to believe that the team which makes more plays will win the game and you can choose to believe that it is up to the refs to decide who wins the games.

Ok, I think we've spent too much time on refs. But, to answer your question, I am not evading anything. I am not saying that was a good call or that Higgins is an honest person or official. I am simply saying that he clearly made bad calls/missed calls against other teams, while we were playing them. I provided an example where it could clearly (and easily) have led to UK winning the game against UNC last year, and then I asked why he would if he clearly wanted UK to lose. That is all.

Now, I will choose to believe that the team which makes more plays will win the game and you can choose to believe that it is up to the refs to decide who wins the games.

Again, by saying refs you attempt to negate my point. I'm talking about one ref.

That call shown in the gif was not a missed call, it was a corrupt call. You can't be that close to a play like that and make that call and still be called honest. That simple.

They had the EXACT same impact they did for us. Those calls put a few of their players on the bench as well. You can find replays of the game online, you should go watch it again because you might be forgetting a few things.

At the end of the 1st half UK had 4 players (all starters) with 2 fouls each. (Bam. Willis, Fox & Monk). Fox only played 8 minutes that half. UNC’s only starter with 2 fouls at the half was Theo Pinson to go along with reserves Tony Bradley and Seventh Woods.

By the end of the game UK had three starters with four fouls each: De’Aaron Fox, Derek Willis and Malik Monk. UNC had no players with more than three.

Nice misrepresentation. I have never said this. I've said we won't win important games that Higgins refs. Again, that simple.

At the end of the 1st half UK had 4 players (all starters) with 2 fouls each. (Bam. Willis, Fox & Monk). Fox only played 8 minutes that half. UNC’s only starter with 2 fouls at the half was Theo Pinson to go along with reserves Tony Bradley and Seventh Woods.

By the end of the game UK had three starters with four fouls each: De’Aaron Fox, Derek Willis and Malik Monk. UNC had no players with more than three.

This poster seems to misrepresent a lot of things. Thanks for providing further proof!

Ok, last comment. How many of those players with four fouls got their fourth foul at the end of the game when we were trying to foul to extend it? I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this...if not, here you go:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400948726

Now, once again, continue to believe that refs decide who wins and who loses if you choose to. I will take pride in us being the better team when we win and not because we got some calls and the other team didn't. I will also man up and say we got outplayed when we lose and not blame it on a ref or bad calls.

No, they can't. Higgins / UK is a different animal.

Ok, last comment. How many of those players with four fouls got their fourth foul at the end of the game when we were trying to foul to extend it? I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this...if not, here you go:

Now, once again, continue to believe that refs decide who wins and who loses if you choose to. I will take pride in us being the better team when we win and not because we got some calls and the other team didn't. I will also man up and say we got outplayed when we lose and not blame it on a ref or bad calls.

Still with the 'refs' conspiracy theory that is easy to deny. If anyone here has said that there is a general conspiracy including all refs I don't think I've read it. Please show me the posts that merit you continually misrepresenting the discussion here.

The thread title even says it; this is about Higgins, not refs.

Nice link btw. Did you listen to the video that's embedded? Talked about officiating and how it made a big difference. Talked about big players being on the bench throughout the first half, and we already know whose big players they were.

Hmmmm.

Reactions: morgousky

When someone gets their 4th or 5th foul is very misleading. Coaches often limit players minutes after their 2nd and 3rd fouls so they don't foul out or don't get that 4th foul early. Even if left in to play, if a player is thought to be in foul trouble he will often change how he plays, be less aggressive, to stay out of foul trouble.

You keep tossing them out there, and we keep hitting them out of the park.

Does anyone have the clip of the foul the UConn guard got when he launched himself onto the floor right in front of Higgins? I actually think there are several clips showing awful calls that were made, but that one was really bad. I could use those right about now in a thread on the main board.
I haven't read through all 3 pages of this thread yet, so if those clips are in here, let me know where and I'll grab them.

NM, found it on page 2.
Carry on.

Does anyone have the clip of the foul the UConn guard got when he launched himself onto the floor right in front of Higgins? I actually think there are several clips showing awful calls that were made, but that one was really bad. I could use those right about now in a thread on the main board.
I haven't read through all 3 pages of this thread yet, so if those clips are in here, let me know where and I'll grab them.

Post #59

Reactions: kyjeff1

These are some of the worst takes I have ever read on this board.....and that is saying a lot. The discussion is about Higgins only (as previously indicated). No one who watched the UK/UNC 2017 tourney game could claim that game was fairly officiated. No one but a UNC fan---who had arguably 4 games gift-wrapped for them in the 2017 tourney due to officiating. Did UNC makes some plays down the stretch-----obviously. Did UK miss some opportunities....obviously (the wide-open Willis 3 in the corner comes to mind). That said, Higgins waived off 2 legit baskets for UK and gave UNC a basket that should have been waived off. That alone greatly affected the outcome of a 1 possession game----all other arguments aside (which are numerous and legitimate).

I agree this is a step in the right direction. After the debacle with The Filth, I believe the NCAA is corrupt beyond redemption. The game we watch now is frankly a step below professional wrestling.

That said, I don't have a lot of faith in the conferences either. There is WAY too much money involved. I'd prefer to see the officials governed by a totally independent group and compensated on a fee basis by competing teams with equal shares. I'd prefer to see them selected on a regional lottery basis. I'd also like to see an independent review/auditing process which is TOTALLY opaque to the NCAA, fans and teams (the order is significant). These are the three most biased entities and, as such, are not appropriate for audit or review. Only findings would be made public to all entities at the same time. A rigorous training process would also be required.
Agreed, there is so much money involved lets use some of it to train and oversee officials .

ADVERTISEMENT