ADVERTISEMENT

Higgins versus BBN

Jul 26, 2003
Why has Barnhart not pursued getting John Higgins banned from ever reffing any of our games? Higgins STARTS the whole fiasco making sure we don't win the championship and got away with it. BBN vents their displeasure in various ways while Barnhart does nothing to get Higgins cheat job looked at carefully by the NCAA. Now Higgins hitting back with lawsuits and Cal and his BBN doesn't have any public backing from the AD, that I have heard of.

Why does Barnhart, at the very least, strive to formally get this cheater away from us forever? What would be the reason Barnhart would quietly sit by and not only show support for us but also do nothing about us possibly facing this cheater again?

Why has Barnhart not pursued getting John Higgins banned from ever reffing any of our games? Higgins STARTS the whole fiasco making sure we don't win the championship and got away with it. BBN vents their displeasure in various ways while Barnhart does nothing to get Higgins cheat job looked at carefully by the NCAA. Now Higgins hitting back with lawsuits and Cal and his BBN doesn't have any public backing from the AD, that I have heard of.

Why does Barnhart, at the very least, strive to formally get this cheater away from us forever? What would be the reason Barnhart would quietly sit by and not only show support for us but also do nothing about us possibly facing this cheater again?

Because it’s Barnhart.

See all of his accomplishments on the NCAA Tourney Committee...

Ready for a change at the top myself.

Because it’s Barnhart.

I agree with your take but I can’t see Higgins being assigned to any UK games anytime in the future. Surely we won’t see him doing any more of our games.... correct ?

Reactions: brianpoe

I think you’re giving the AD just a bit too much power. Plus, if he came out and supported the fans who acted like jackasses, he prolly wouldn’t make it through the day as AD. And before you say he doesn’t have a backbone, no AD in the country would come out and support what some of our fans did. Not even Jurich.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Well the FBI said they found zero death threats. And he doesn't have to condone fans actions by calling a spade a spade. But then again, he also said he didn't think we got a difficult bracket last year.
I think you’re giving the AD just a bit too much power. Plus, if he came out and supported the fans who acted like jackasses, he prolly wouldn’t make it through the day as AD. And before you say he doesn’t have a backbone, no AD in the country would come out and support what some of our fans did. Not even Jurich.

It's hard to prove he "started" this whole thing, even though we all kind of know he caused it. But I've said before, if the proof was there, he'd have been fired before April last year.

Still, because of the events before AND after the UNC game.. there is NO reason that guy should ever officiate a Kentucky game again. And our Administration should make sure of it. Because hell, it's the school's pockets that get affected when we bow out of the tournament a game early.

Reactions: KFuqua
No one more thing.

Hatchet men for the fraternity or establishment don't make waves and don't attack other hatchet men for the fraternity or establishment. ..

Has politics taught us nothing in the last few years? Mitch is Jeb Bush.

The end.

I don’t think Higgins will be assigned any UK games since he filed the lawsuit. So ironically, UK fans get what they wanted in the end.
I agree, it would be a huge story line and not in a good way for the NCAA to assign a ref to a tournament game who has basically sued the fanbase of the team in the game, also I think Cal is actually mentioned in the lawsuit.

Reactions: Saven
Well the FBI said they found zero death threats. And he doesn't have to condone fans actions by calling a spade a spade. But then again, he also said he didn't think we got a difficult bracket last year.

I never said anything about the bracket stuff. With that said, he can’t have anything to with UK talk in the committee room. I’m sure I’ll get blasted for saying that and before you come out and blast me for saying that, let me say that I didn’t agree with our seed or our bracket. I’m not saying he couldn’t have done more to help us but I think he gets too much of the blame for it also. He is just 1 person on the committee and I hope he is more beneficial in the future for us but he can only do so much. He wouldn’t last long on the selection committee if it’s obvious that he is only there to get us a good seed and bracket. He’s got to find a way to help us quietly and to help us without being so obvious that he’s trying. His 1st year on the committee was In sure a big learning experience on how things work and I’m hopeful that he’ll do better in the future. After hearing his explanation on the process and how things played out, I understood their thinking. I didn’t agree with it but I understood it.

Actually it never got to the FBI (despite the media reports). There simply weren't any death threats made (again despite the numerous media reports). Doesn't mean many UK fans didn't cross the line. Hopefully they have learned from this experience.

As far as Mitch Barnhart, Higgins has only reffed two regular season UK games. First was UCLA last season in a CBS game which Barnhart may not have had much control over. Second was a SEC game vs. Vanderbilt last season, which because it's a league matchup Barnhart had little to no control over. (and FWIW I don't know for sure but I doubt Barnhart takes time to worry about specific referee assignments. More likely someone in the basketball office pays closer attention to those sorts of things.) The fact Higgins reffed a UK-Vandy game is strange too because I didn't know Higgins reffed SEC games. (He's primarily been a Big 12 official once conference season starts.)

Link to record of John Higgins' UK Games

The rest of the games were all in the NCAA tournament, which UK really has no control over.

One thing which needs to have more transparency and better decisions is who decides which refs advance to the Final Four and what is the criteria. Whoever decided that Higgins deserved to advance to the Final Four after the UNC-UK debacle should be fired. (and I doubt it was Barnhart).

I'm not expecting to see Higgins show up in any regular season UK games going forward. It could happen in the NCAA tournament, but that would be a mistake since Higgins filed his lawsuit (which includes claims against John Calipari), it would seem to be a conflict of interest for him to ever do another UK game again. Hopefully that stands forever, because he can't be trusted to call a fair game, even before the lawsuit.

Last edited:
Actually it never got to the FBI (despite the media reports). There simply weren't any death threats made (again despite the numerous media reports). Doesn't mean many UK fans didn't cross the line. Hopefully they have learned from this experience.

As far as Mitch Barnhart, Higgins has only reffed two regular season UK games. First was UCLA last season in a CBS game which Barnhart may not have had much control over. Second was a SEC game vs. Vanderbilt last season, which because it's a league matchup Barnhart had little to no control over. (and FWIW I don't know for sure but I doubt Barnhart takes time to worry about specific referee assignments. More likely someone in the basketball office pays closer attention to those sorts of things.) The fact Higgins reffed a UK-Vandy game is strange too because I didn't know Higgins reffed SEC games. (He's primarily been a Big 12 official once conference season starts.)

Link to record of John Higgins' UK Games

The rest of the games were all in the NCAA tournament, which UK really has no control over.

One thing which needs to have more transparency and better decisions is who decides which refs advance to the Final Four and what is the criteria. Whoever decided that Higgins deserved to advance to the Final Four after the UNC-UK debacle should be fired. (and I doubt it was Barnhart).

I'm not expecting to see Higgins show up in any regular season UK games going forward. It could happen in the NCAA tournament, but that would be a mistake since Higgins filed his lawsuit (which includes claims against John Calipari), it would seem to be a conflict of interest for him to ever do another UK game again. Hopefully that stands forever, because he can't be trusted to call a fair game, even before the lawsuit.

The Coordinator of officials for the SEC has total control of game assignments for the officials. I’m sure that a few political Conference Supervisors at lower levels of college basketball would listen to a school AD but I really don’t think it happens in Power 5 conferences too often UNLESS there was a major incident that happened like this fiasco after the UNC game. Even then, I think Cal would have more say so then Mitch. I’m sure Cal has Whitehead’s number in his phone.

With that said, the coaches can influence game assignments with their ratings. They rate each official after every game. Whitehead knows what officials that the coach likes and dislikes by their ratings. I’m sure that can influence his decisions during the regular season. Now, as far as a coach or AD blatantly coming out and saying..... I want this official or I don’t want that official, I don’t think that happens too often at the top levels of D1 basketball. I could be wrong and like I said, I’m sure it can happen on occasion but I don’t think it’s the norm when a coach has a problem with an official. That’s been my experience with officiating anyway but then again, I’m not behind the Coordinator’s door either, so I could be wrong. It’s just my opinion.

Because it’s Barnhart.

Lmao how mad was I after the brackets came out. It's as if he wanted a first hand chance at fcking us all by himself by making sure we got by far the toughest bracket I've ever seen especially for a top 2 seed that deserved a one seed then patting himself on the back for how good of a job he did talking about how such a fair draw he felt we got as if he didn't realize how incompetent he was and didn't realize how badly everyone in that room blatantly screwed him they had to be laughing there butts off when he left the room. That had to be the toughest road I've ever seen us get and every year we have the toughest bracket, Scott van pelt even said as much the night of on sportscenter and said it was no coincidence that Kentucky and cal always get by far the most difficult path and how it's a year to year screw job. We had a more difficult road than the last 16 seed had at getting to a Championship which is ridiculous.

I just thought with our damned AD in the room they could no longer screw us anymore and little did I know they screwed us harder than ever. WSU our 7? UCLA our 3? The year before we clearly deserved a long shot at a 2 seed or at the worst the best 3 seed. Nope, we got the worst 4 seed, a lower 4 seed than Duke got, aTm got the 3 inexplicably and almost as inexplicable as Duke getting the higher 4 after losing first round of ACCT when they were ranked 22nd at the time of the first round loss. We were 16 before the SECT that we won started, and somehow Duke jumped us? Oh and we got an IU team that clearly deserved a 3 or 4 seed. It was as if we essentially got a 5 or 6 seed and the most difficult path by far of the 5 or 6's. And the fact we get screwed so bad that it's expected every year at this point since it happens every year is just utter ridiculous and criminal. It's collusion at the highest level.

Lmao how mad was I after the brackets came out. It's as if he wanted a first hand chance at fcking us all by himself by making sure we got by far the toughest bracket I've ever seen especially for a top 2 seed that deserved a one seed then patting himself on the back for how good of a job he did talking about how such a fair draw he felt we got as if he didn't realize how incompetent he was and didn't realize how badly everyone in that room blatantly screwed him they had to be laughing there butts off when he left the room. That had to be the toughest road I've ever seen us get and every year we have the toughest bracket, Scott van pelt even said as much the night of on sportscenter and said it was no coincidence that Kentucky and cal always get by far the most difficult path and how it's a year to year screw job. We had a more difficult road than the last 16 seed had at getting to a Championship which is ridiculous.

I just thought with our damned AD in the room they could no longer screw us anymore and little did I know they screwed us harder than ever. WSU our 7? UCLA our 3? The year before we clearly deserved a long shot at a 2 seed or at the worst the best 3 seed. Nope, we got the worst 4 seed, a lower 4 seed than Duke got, aTm got the 3 inexplicably and almost as inexplicable as Duke getting the higher 4 after losing first round of ACCT when they were ranked 22nd at the time of the first round loss. We were 16 before the SECT that we won started, and somehow Duke jumped us? Oh and we got an IU team that clearly deserved a 3 or 4 seed. It was as if we essentially got a 5 or 6 seed and the most difficult path by far of the 5 or 6's. And the fact we get screwed so bad that it's expected every year at this point since it happens every year is just utter ridiculous and criminal. It's collusion at the highest level.

But, our AD is NOT in the room. Do I think Barnhart could do a better job? Yes. Do I think he is as bad as some think? Nope.

I don't think he has any say so, at all.

While I agree that he (or any coach or AD not based in Durham or Chapel Hill) has no say so. If he made a big deal out of it, I think it would be hard for the NCAA to let him call another one of our games simply due to the fear of media backlash.

Reactions: brianpoe
I doubt you will ever see him ref another UK game again. The dumbass screwed himself over by filing that lawsuit. That's a conflict of interest at it's finest.

Why has Barnhart not pursued getting John Higgins banned from ever reffing any of our games? BBN vents their displeasure in various ways while Barnhart does nothing to get Higgins cheat job looked at carefully by the NCAA. Why does Barnhart, at the very least, strive to formally get this cheater away from us forever? What would be the reason Barnhart would quietly sit by?
Because the "various ways" in which some in the BBN have "vented their displeasure", including threats against the individual that apparently rise to the level of criminal behavior, have triggered police investigations, made the matter toxic in the public domain, and on that basis limited what Barnhart can do about it. But maybe you can leave a message on Higgins' voicemail.

There would be a conflict of interest if Higgins did ref one of our games. He does not need to call any of our games and for sure no tournament game involving the Cats. You would think that's not going to happen with what has went down.

What SOME of our fans did? Just what percentage was that? What all was done is still speculation on the word of a known cheater. If Higgin's word is good enough for you then that's on you. Not good enough for me and it shouldn't be for any fan of any sport or any team.

Just say when and where Willy. I got your back. :boxing:

Can I be in charge of transportation and medication......? I will get him into the proper frame of mind before the (sic) match. I will have
him floating like a butterfly! :pimp:

Reactions: UKrazycat2
If Mitch Barnhart had an alias it'd be Ben Dover. Because that's what he does for anybody who pressures him instead of aggressively fighting for Kentucky. If he thought he could do something important for UK basketball or football, but some powerful person might yell at him or snub him at the next NCAA cocktail party, he'd look the other way every time.

But, our AD is NOT in the room. Do I think Barnhart could do a better job? Yes. Do I think he is as bad as some think? Nope.

The teams you have in your path are more important than what seed in what region you are. I dont think you have to be a rhodes scholar to figure out how to fight for certain teams to NOT be in your direct path.

I mean hey NCAA i'm taking out tons of my time and doing a tremendous service for the NCAA here so yeah sure , I'm fine with my team playing top 10 teams in every round after the first........ signed Barnhart.

Lost 4 of the last 5 games he has officiated and five out of the 8 that he has ever officiated including Patrick sparks Michigan state game

What are the games (seeds)? I think you can probably ignore any 1v16, 2v15 or 3v14 games. Would that make it more like we have lost 5 out of the 6 he officiated?

Reactions: crestcat
What are the games (seeds)? I think you can probably ignore any 1v16, 2v15 or 3v14 games. Would that make it more like we have lost 5 out of the 6 he officiated?
Losses: 17 UNC, 15 Wiscy, 11 UConn, 05 Mich St (all tourney games) + 16 UCLA @Rupp
Wins: EKU 05, Cornell 10, Vandy 17 @ rupp

What SOME of our fans did? Just what percentage was that? What all was done is still speculation on the word of a known cheater. If Higgin's word is good enough for you then that's on you. Not good enough for me and it shouldn't be for any fan of any sport or any team.

OK. I highly doubt he just made it all up. Not saying it’s all true but where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Some of our fans are a bit crazy after all.

ADVERTISEMENT