Look inside you and be strong
And you’ll finally see the truth
That a Herro lies in you

It’s a long road
When you face the world alone
No one reaches out a hand
For you to hold

Herro_Tyler_2018.jpg

I knew he'd be good. I knew he could score from deep, from mid range, and inside. I knew he looked BIG for a guard, every bit of 6'5, maybe even 6'6 ala Booker. I knew he was athletic and I knew he had swagger to back up his game and was not shy to take a shot he thought he could make.

I did NOT think he'd be THIS good THIS fast. He looks like what I thought he'd be going into his sophomore year or towards the end of his sophomore year. I know we haven't played a college game yet but he's a good 12-18 months ahead of where I thought he'd be as far as taking the shots that came to him (as opposed to being passive). He looks better at the same stage than Booker did because Booker, on such a loaded team, tended to take a backseat. Herro would've gotten his on the 2015 team so maybe at the same stage, Herro's more confident? Whatever it is, I see a Booker 2.0 in the making.

That being said, I don't think he's our best player. He's our best scorer 1000% but there is SO much talent on this team there's no way to determine who's the best. Going into the Blue White game last year, no one would've EVER pegged SGA as our best player and after the first dozen games or so, he legit was our number 1 option and rightfully so. If Montgomery is hitting jumpers while also throwing it down inside consistently like he did last night, he's got a case. If Reid Travis keeps showing up as a double double machine, he has a case. If Richards keeps battling inside while dunking everything inside while also being a force on defense, he has a case. If Washington builds off his K-state performance with better conditioning and refined skills and consistently proves he's the alpha on the court, he has a case. And of course, Keldon Johnson, the leader of the team (from what I can tell) has every chance in the world to set the tone game in and game out with his defense, his intensity, and his multitude of skills that range from 2 guard skills to undersized 4 man skills with potential to be a rich mans Admiral Schofield. That's the best part, we have legit 5 or 6 "best players on the team." It's freaking bananas.

Best player on the team
Yes, but good enough to start? Does he deserve starting? Should he say that it's OK to start a player not as good as him? OK to start an older player because they are older?

IMO Washington, Travis, Johnson Herro and Quickley but very hard to not start Richards. Cal saying he may start a different lineup the second half of games because of so many good enough to start and the equality of the team. Easy to see that Montgomery would be a normal starter here right off the bat.

So who are the 3 shooting guards ESPN had rated ahead of him?
- RJ Barret will play SG Duke
- Romeo Langford Indiana
- Quentin Grimes Kansas
- Kevin Porter USC
- Coby White UNC

Tyler looks like a steal and his massive scoring and shooting....he looks like a top 3 SG easily in this class.

If Herro doesn't start, we should be a VERY strong team. Herro is the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT