ADVERTISEMENT

Herro like Monk?

I guess some forgot just how good Monk was for Kentucky here .

I see more Booker in Herro than Monk tho . It’s too early to tell. I always liked the smoothness in his game from seeing his high school mixtapes . He looks just as smooth in the first two games at Kentucky .
Monk is the best pure offensive threat in terms of shooting Cal has had at UK ( until Herro) BUT he was just that. He wasn't a very good passer , he wasn't a great driver and he has zero interest in rebounding or playing D. Those are reasons he spent most of year one in the League on the bench while Fox and Bam played and played well.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Truthfully, I think he might be better. He's as athletic, but he builds his game on the fundamentals, whereas Monk was little more flashy.

Let's not get crazy. Monk could literally fly. Herro's killing it and is far better than I thought he'd be at this moment, but he's nowhere near as athletic at Monk.

That being said, I can easily see the comparisons. Both have a lightning quick release while only needing the smallest sliver of space to get their shot off. They can light you up for 12 straight points in a matter of a few possessions if you let them loose and they heat up from deep. They both have an incredibly strong midrange game in a modern era that doesn't seem to utilize it all that much. They both could/should be starters but also be incredibly valuable off the bench as instant offense as the 6th man (which is where I always felt Herro belonged). Yes, they're VERY similar. But if Herro could sky like Monk, he'd be a top 10 pick.

Reactions: BlakeNapier2017
Let's not get crazy. Monk could literally fly. Herro's killing it and is far better than I thought he'd be at this moment, but he's nowhere near as athletic at Monk.

That being said, I can easily see the comparisons. Both have a lightning quick release while only needing the smallest sliver of space to get their shot off. They can light you up for 12 straight points in a matter of a few possessions if you let them loose and they heat up from deep. They both have an incredibly strong midrange game in a modern era that doesn't seem to utilize it all that much. They both could/should be starters but also be incredibly valuable off the bench as instant offense as the 6th man (which is where I always felt Herro belonged). Yes, they're VERY similar. But if Herro could sky like Monk, he'd be a top 10 pick.
Please see post 19.

well, Herro has other type of weakness compared to Monk tho. I just didn't mention it. Monk is clearly more athletic.

But we'll know more as season progress.

Monk had great elevation on his jumper and so he could get it off over defenders, but other than that he didn't really USE his athleticism as much as he could have. Herro is going to be able to get shots, but he won't be relied on the same way Monk was. We had to have Fox and Monk put up big scoring numbers or we wouldn't beat another very good team. That shouldn't be the case this year with Herro.

He is crafty (like arrow boy).
Sneaky like Steve Nash (not as good).
More athletic than JShepherd (quicker at least).
Streaky like Monk (Dakkich referenced it both games. You can see it is his countenance).

Can't wait to see a bigger sample size.

Monk had great elevation on his jumper and so he could get it off over defenders, but other than that he didn't really USE his athleticism as much as he could have. Herro is going to be able to get shots, but he won't be relied on the same way Monk was. We had to have Fox and Monk put up big scoring numbers or we wouldn't beat another very good team. That shouldn't be the case this year with Herro.

you kind of combined my point 1 and point 2.

If Herro can get stronger, watch out. That kid has great size, so he should be able to get shot off too.

Hopefully with less pressure, he can be efficient scorer like Lamb.

1. Monk could create his own shot...especially taking a 3pt shot while heavily covered off the bounce and just rise up over a guy that was all over him at times. I have yet to see Herro pull that off at a clip that Monk could.
2. Herro may be as automatic off of open looks...but I'd wager they're both going to hit upper 40's/50% when open.
3. The thing I think (maybe hope) we'll see out of Herro vs. Monk is defense, rebounding, passing, etc...which Monk was basically below average or awful in those aspects most of the time. Monk had like 5-6 games in a row in SEC play with 0-1 rebounds. Monk would also have stretches that he didn't really focus on defense and broke down quite a bit (i.e. lost Justin Jackson down the stretch a few times in UNC game).

I really hope Herro can be 90% of the shooter/scorer Monk was but really out-perform Monk in all the other areas and if he does that....we've got a complete stud at SG to help us out.

ADVERTISEMENT