ADVERTISEMENT

Herro like Monk?

Nov 12, 2017
I know this won't go over well here because it transcends skin color but does Herro's instant offense and mid range game not remind you of Monk to an extent? Granted he's not as an explosive of an athlete but damn that mid range jumper reminds me of Malik. Looks like Tyler could play pg if he had to as well..

He looks like a bigger Jeff Sheppard to me as far as his shooting form. Their release is identical.

It isn't an issue of race but be doesn't remind me much of Monk really. A much bigger Murray works better for me but isn't right either.

I think Herro is just his own thing. None or our past guys seems to fit really well as a comp.
In that way he is like Monk, he is a hard dude to compare other players to at least for me.

Reactions: treyforuk
Monk isn’t pushing 6-6” and herro is less streaky it seems. They are completely different players.

Btw I’m sick of the comparisons. Call said it right let herro be herro. He’s not a booker a Shepard a Chapman he’s tyler herro. He may physically look like Jeff Shepard but that’s it.

no, because Monk's ball handling wasn't as good as Herro.

At least Herro is showing more. Remember this is August, i think with more structure and practice, he'll be more efficient and consistent.

Reactions: Crowell7
Lot more skilled than Shepherd as a freshman

Yeah. Better overall floor game, much more fluid, bigger. Likely a better shooter at the same stage.

Maybe not quite as good without the ball yet though. Shep always had a nice knack for moving without the ball and working cuts and screens.

Lot more skilled than Shepherd as a freshman
Maybe but I’m not so sure. Those 90’s UK teams were so stacked with upperclassmen that players like Shep didn’t get to show much as freshmen. I still think their shooting motions are almost identical.

Herro is nowhere near as athletic & isn’t as good of a ball handler as Monk. It’s been two games but Tyler’s decision making & passing seems to be better. His mid range game is awesome and he’s a better defender than I thought he’d be at this stage. Monk was a flash of lightning at times, scoring a lot of buckets in a short time and then disappearing. I think Herro can be more consistent throughout the game.

Truthfully, I think he might be better. He's as athletic, but he builds his game on the fundamentals, whereas Monk was little more flashy.
He is a notch or two below monk in athleticism. But he can be a streaky scorer in the same mold.

Serves Wisconsin right for stealing our 2015 championship.

tenor.gif

no, because Monk's ball handling wasn't as good as Herro.

At least Herro is showing more. Remember this is August, i think with more structure and practice, he'll be more efficient and consistent.
Monk was a reeeeaallllly good ball handler. Not much of a passer though.

I know this won't go over well here because it transcends skin color but does Herro's instant offense and mid range game not remind you of Monk to an extent? Granted he's not as an explosive of an athlete but damn that mid range jumper reminds me of Malik. Looks like Tyler could play pg if he had to as well..
I think he is an all around better player than Monk. Monk got style points for being flashy. Herro is just a high IQ player who gets it done. Hopefully we won't have the long dry spells like we had with Monk.

Won't compare him to anybody but like the idea that UK looks like it will have for the second year in a row a guard that was undervalued by the gurus. Shai last year and Herro this year. I think Dontaie Allen will make it three years in a row.

Won't compare him to anybody but like the idea that UK looks like it will have for the second year in a row a guard that was undervalued by the gurus. Shai last year and Herro this year. I think Dontaie Allen will make it three years in a row.
I remember when I was excited for KC Ross Miller and GJ Villirano.... Dear Lord we've come so far.

Yeah. Better overall floor game, much more fluid, bigger. Likely a better shooter at the same stage.

Maybe not quite as good without the ball yet though. Shep always had a nice knack for moving without the ball and working cuts and screens.

I think this is a pretty good comparison. I believe you'll see him coming off those screens and shooting more later on. I thought he passed up quite a few of those tonight.

Monk isn’t pushing 6-6” and herro is less streaky it seems. They are completely different players.

Btw I’m sick of the comparisons. Call said it right let herro be herro. He’s not a booker a Shepard a Chapman he’s tyler herro. He may physically look like Jeff Shepard but that’s it.

But actually he looks more like Rex and it would be nice if he played like him but not act like him, lol.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Monks' game is about 80% athletics and 20% b-ball skills. Monk didn't work hard on defense.

Herro's game is about 40% athletics and 60% b-ball skills. Herro works very hard on defense.

Bottom Line: I'd much rather have Herro...HE'S A TEAM PLAYER!!!

Monk was overrated. Streaky as hell. The UNC game is why. I also don't think you'll see Herro laughing on the bench while getting blown out by 30.

Monks' game is about 80% athletics and 20% b-ball skills. Monk didn't work hard on defense.

Herro's game is about 40% athletics and 60% b-ball skills. Herro works very hard on defense.

Bottom Line: I'd much rather have Herro...HE'S A TEAM PLAYER!!!

Monk was and is a talent for sure but there's a savvy about Herro that you can't teach. There hasn't been enough opportunities to sample but from what I've seen from Herro, he is the guy I want taking the last shot. Not a high flyer like Monk but Monk almost never drove to the hoop anyway. Herro has a lot of Murray in his game and attitude. I loved Murray and I love what I've seen out of Tyler so far.

Reactions: AF Cat
Monk was overrated. Streaky as hell. The UNC game is why. I also don't think you'll see Herro laughing on the bench while getting blown out by 30.

I appreciated Monks skill and capabilities. The UNC game inflated the publics view of him seeing he did that on national tv. I think there are guys who not just live the game but love to win. I get the impression that Herro is one of those guys. Tyler's game reminds me of the Mike Flynn, Jimmy Dan, and Grevey guys. All who could shoot, pass, handle, and compete fearlessly.

Herro has an edge about him, he likes to get inside the heads of his opponents, he seems to be having fun out there jawing. We need a swagger like that. Think the 2010 team.

No. Reminds me more of Jeff Sheppard.

Monk was an amazing player for us and right now Herro looks better mostly because of bball IQ and passing ability.

Maybe Murray is a better comparison.

Seems like every shot he takes is going in, especially that mid range jumper. Well, to be fair I think all of those have

I guess some forgot just how good Monk was for Kentucky here .

I see more Booker in Herro than Monk tho . It’s too early to tell. I always liked the smoothness in his game from seeing his high school mixtapes . He looks just as smooth in the first two games at Kentucky .

It isn't an issue of race but be doesn't remind me much of Monk really. A much bigger Murray works better for me but isn't right either.

I think Herro is just his own thing. None or our past guys seems to fit really well as a comp.
In that way he is like Monk, he is a hard dude to compare other players to at least for me.
Yep I agree with this . He is more Murray then Monk because Monk just did offensive and didn't even try to play D . Murray could rebound , pass ect too unlike MOnk very well and Herro can do both too. Also Herro is really interested in playing D and though he hasn't learned how yet fully he is hungry to. Monk wasn't much of a driver either whereas Murray could like Herro.

ADVERTISEMENT