ADVERTISEMENT

Herro is a star!

Apr 13, 2018
The consensus I've been seeing all summer is that Herro will be towards the end of bench as the 8th man and a multi year player, all of whom I've seen say quickley is the better player and better fit and some even saying it'll be a developmental year for the kid, almost everyone seemingly had quickley ahead of Herro in the pecking order and mpg predictions, never understood why though and kept saying that's just plain wrong and Herro will be our best all around offensive player and Quickley will most certainly not be ahead of him in the rotation, had many arguments on the board over this. And I just kept wondering for the life of me to myself why most people and almost all were saying that, it's as if everyone had been seeing something completely different that I've been seeing.

Both are great players, this is no knock on quickley. But so far IMO Herro has basically proven he's the better player at this point and better all around player in general, he hasn't been a slouch on defense at all. And IMO he looks poised to have a much better freshman year than booker with a better overall game at this stage of career. I guess followed both players very closely and really didn't think it was close as to who will be better for us, yet almost everyone here said quickley will be the better option with a chance at being our star PG. Herro not being a top 10 prospect has been one of the most criminal things I've witnessed in the recruiting world of late, this kid is a star and has a chance at going down as an all time great at UK even if just for one year. He has future NBA All star written all over him IMO and as I've been saying all along, wouldn't be surprised to see him be our best player.

The consensus has been praying Baby Rex comes back for a second season, not sure what the hell you've been reading about him being 12 th man status?

jvi2r9ja62211.gif

He's very talented offensively and has a high basketball IQ. He will still need to work on his D. Quickley will still likely start ahead of him. Quickley doesn't have quite the offensive game of Herro, but he can still score/shoot well, plays better D, runs the offense better, and has such a calm, balanced demeanor that is going to he vital. Sadly, our best shooter may still not have ever played a game yet.

I'm curious to see how we are going to get all these guys minutes. All 9 main guys we have seen so far look very deserving of playing time and all bring something unique to the team. I think Baker will bring maturity and be another strong shooter/scorer for this team. I don't think we will platoon, but seeing as there will be several deep and talented teams this year, and all 10 of ours will likely be deserving, I think we have to figure out a way to get them all time. Going to be a great but interesting problem to have.

Reactions: AF Cat
I don't understand the thread. Herro and Quickley play different positions.

Is the OP lobbying for Tyler Herro to be our starting point guard? If so, he's gonna be disappointed.

I glossed over that part. He might average more points than booker in college but he won't be a better NBA player imo.
I didn't read his post as meaning he was better than Booker the NBA player...........I don't care what his play is like if and when he gets to the NBA..........I only care about his performance while he is dressed in UK blue.........and right now it seems to me that he is doing very well. Maybe you don't want to give him his due? All I know is it is way too early to put projections like that on these players........They will improve between now and the start of the season.....

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Really enjoy watching Tyler play... one of those guys that sort of sees things developing one play ahead of everyone else on the court and combines that with a silky smooth offensive game and underrated athleticism.

He’s better than I even expected on the offensive end (and my expectations for him were high) and not nearly as deficient on the defensive end as I feared. He’s not an elite defender by any means, but he really competes and wants to be good on that end... and that’s more than half the battle right there. Looking forward to watching him grow.

Herro’s D is lacking but he’s efforting. In fact all the freshmen are efforting. That’s all you can ask for in August.

He's has been the best and most efficient offensive player on this team through these 3 games... Anyways he's white so fans automatically will assume he's a bench player that can't guard anyone.. So should he start?? Probably but even if he doesn't, Cal will have a hard time keeping him off the court..

ADVERTISEMENT