ADVERTISEMENT

Here's The Truth...

Getting Vanderbilt, SGA, Green and Richards back would be huge. I still don't see how a player like Vanderbilt wouldn't be stashed and taken in the first round but SGA or Knox would. Vanderbilt has more talent than any of them imo.

I've completely quit trying to guess the NBA.

I like Vanderbilt as a pro better than SGA because I think they're both essentially tweeners, so I'll go with the guy who is bigger, longer, stronger, quicker, more athletic, and has a high motor and nose for the ball.

He can't shoot at all, but he's absolutely in that mold of combo forwards off the bench like JaKarr Sampson, Johnathan Issac, etc. who are just big and rangy and versatile.

I think the foot scares teams off though. But I think it might also be what forces him to leave even with low draft stock.

SGA has a slow jumper with a low release point, and I don't think he's able to get by guys in rhe league or finish at the rim over size. He's not a facilitator and he's not an elite defender though I think the potential for that is there.

I like Vanderbilt as a pro better than SGA because I think they're both essentially tweeners, so I'll go with the guy who is bigger, longer, stronger, quicker, more athletic, and has a high motor and nose for the ball.

He can't shoot at all, but he's absolutely in that mold of combo forwards off the bench like JaKarr Sampson, Johnathan Issac, etc. who are just big and rangy and versatile.

I think the foot scares teams off though. But I think it might also be what forces him to leave even with low draft stock.

SGA has a slow jumper with a low release point, and I don't think he's able to get by guys in rhe league or finish at the rim over size. He's not a facilitator and he's not an elite defender though I think the potential for that is there.

Neither are 1st Round material.

SGA is shooting 10 points lower than that 44% with few attempts from 3 with 120 turnovers, is not athletic nor an instincts first point guard.

Jared is injury prone with one half season coming off the bench and cant shoot.

I am using an old iPhone because my son decided I didn't need my new one ( los portales Mexican restaurant salsa bath)

Gonna have to think really hard about what I'm trying to say. More than usual. Can't text on this iPhone 5s.

Reactions: brianpoe

By far the best player on the team but I have been surprised at his draft stock per your breakdown above.

By far the best player on the team but I have been surprised at his draft stock per your breakdown above.

It also says a lot that *that* is our best player.

I love the kid, he always gives us everything he has, he's typically nails in crunch time, he leads the other guys vocally and with body language, but he's really not a dynamic pro talent yet.

The length is there. The craftiness with the ball is there. The intangibles are there. But that stuff doesn't get you drafted in the first round, typically.

Keldon Johnson #6 on Espn and I expect him to move closer to that on every service soon
I am really looking forward to seeing Johnson as a college SF. Maybe part of the reason for that is because of the current team's lack of good SF or 2G options. I understand that Knox is a good young player now, but I think he is currently a better PF option than SF. Likewise, I think Diallo would currently fit better as SF, than 2G. I also think UK has a bunch of good future PF options (Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel), but I don't think any of those guys are ever going to be good SF options in college. So, I'm looking forward to Johnson and hoping he can give UK good significant minutes at SF.

I also really like the fact that Johnson - in order to be OAD (although I don't think he will be OAD) - will have to do so on his skill level. He doesn't have the freakish athleticism or measurable to make up for a lack of skill.

Reactions: UKMKG and brianpoe
I am really looking forward to seeing Johnson as a college SF. Maybe part of the reason for that is because of the current team's lack of good SF or 2G options. I understand that Knox is a good young player now, but I think he is currently a better PF option than SF. Likewise, I think Diallo would currently fit better as SF, than 2G. I also think UK has a bunch of good future PF options (Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel), but I don't think any of those guys are ever going to be good SF options in college. So, I'm looking forward to Johnson and hoping he can give UK good significant minutes at SF.

I also really like the fact that Johnson - in order to be OAD (although I don't think he will be OAD) - will have to do so on his skill level. He doesn't have the freakish athleticism or measurable to make up for a lack of skill.

Johnson does not have Knox's shooting range, but he certainly seems to have 10x the fire in his belly...

It may be the process, but it was not by design. He's losing the elite recruits. Do not for a second believe this was ever a plan.

It's called adaptation. This is what smart people do to accomplish their goals. Sit and complain is what dumb people do and think it is smart.

Neither are 1st Round material.

SGA is shooting 10 points lower than that 44% with few attempts from 3 with 120 turnovers, is not athletic nor an instincts first point guard.

Jared is injury prone with one half season coming off the bench and cant shoot.
I agree.

With today's NBA having such a premium on players being able to make shots, how in the world can Jared Vanderbilt be a 1st round pick?

Having him on the floor would allow opponents to play 5 on 4, like we see here now when him or Hami is on the floor.

SGA can't get through a double team or pass the ball effectively. His jumpshot is also not good enough to overcome his tendency to turn the ball over.

Both have great measurables for the NBA, but I also doubt that a team would sacrifice a 1st round pick on either.

Johnson does not have Knox's shooting range, but he certainly seems to have 10x the fire in his belly...

You guys are building up Keldon Johnson to be the answer or the next coming, you are setting yourself up for failure. While his might play hard (in high school), he hasn't played against a physical SEC defense and again....HE IS NOT A SHOOTER!!!

You guys are building up Keldon Johnson to be the answer or the next coming, you are setting yourself up for failure. While his might play hard (in high school), he hasn't played against a physical SEC defense and again....HE IS NOT A SHOOTER!!!

How do you come to this conclusion off my post?

I said Johnson cant shoot like Knox - you seem to agree he's not a shooter

I said Johnson has fire in his belly - you seem to agree he plays hard

Where did I say he was THE answer?

Where did I say he was the next coming?

The only fail is your assumptions in your post.... and i'm not sure why? Unless you just like quoting me for attention...

How do you come to this conclusion off my post?

I said Johnson cant shoot like Knox - you seem to agree he's not a shooter

I said Johnson has fire in his belly - you seem to agree he plays hard

Where did I say he was THE answer?

Where did I say he was the next coming?

The only fail is your assumptions in your post.... and i'm not sure why? Unless you just like quoting me for attention...

I wasn't specifically talking about you and your post, just talking about UK fans in general.

What is this guarantee?

Of what do you base this statement on, because history and facts are not in your favor...[/QUOT

I said almost guarantee, all three are listed in the first round of 2018 mock draft, & as you seen before we have had kids leave early listed a lot lower than that.

I hope they all stay but I am just going off of past precedence

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
Here's what I've noticed during the last 8.75 yrs with Cal. He does get some guys who stay multiple yrs. But I don't think they develop as much as they should......and therefore don't make as much of an impact.

For instance:
-Let's pretend that UK lands "Dan Smith" as a 4* recruit. He projects to be a very good leader, shooter, defender, and steady SG.....and does fit Cal's system.

-He doesn't play during his fresh or soph yr's because the other one/done players are more talented. So, he now faces a dilemma. Either stay and "hope" that you get some garbage time as a Sr or transfer out.

-Despite being able to practice against uber talent, his growth is stunted because he never gets to play. And even if he's a good leader, the guys that play won't listen to him much because he's not playing.

It's a catch-22. You can't play and develop Dan properly w/o placing a stud on the bench. Therefore it's hard to develop the upperclass leadership that is so desperately needed.

This makes the next few yrs very interesting. The potential make-up of the 2019 or 2020 roster is very intriguing.....this is assuming that we don't have a disappointing exodus of players.

Reactions: UKMKG
I'm with you on wishing to see more fire from Knox. But I'm also pretty forgiving given his youth. I just think he might be better right now as a PF in college, because speed and ball-handling would not be pulling him down as much.

I would ideally also like to see another SF option along with Johnson for next season, so he wouldn't have to try carry too much of the load at the position as a freshman. Do you think Gabriel and Herro can bring enough help in that spot (of course, I'm assuming Knox and Diallo are gone)?

Many have complained about Cal only recruiting one and done's. You're getting your wish.

This is what the process HAS to look like if Cal is going to recruit players that end up staying multiple years (whether by design or not). It has to start somewhere, and this season is what it looks like to transition to multi-year players.

Next year we have more multi-year players coming in: Johnson (#14), Quickly (#15) and Herro (#33).

In the long run we will be fine...but this is what it looks like to transition to what you all wanted. Now let's see if it works.
IF we lose 1 or 2 then yeah I can see that. If 4 or 5 bolt then no, it' just a bad yr. But he has missed out on the last 2 yrs big players

Many have complained about Cal only recruiting one and done's. You're getting your wish.

This is what the process HAS to look like if Cal is going to recruit players that end up staying multiple years (whether by design or not). It has to start somewhere, and this season is what it looks like to transition to multi-year players.

Next year we have more multi-year players coming in: Johnson (#14), Quickly (#15) and Herro (#33).

In the long run we will be fine...but this is what it looks like to transition to what you all wanted. Now let's see if it works.
I've been thinking this all year, particularly when I see a quack fan on here screaming "I'm fine if they all go the NBA - tired of them all!". Those are the same people that wish Cal would recruit players that stuck around. Well, which is it, quack UK fan? You have to go through the rough first year before you can get to the second to complete your wish list!

Reactions: UKMKG and brianpoe
I said almost guarantee, all three are listed in the first round of 2018 mock draft, & as you seen before we have had kids leave early listed a lot lower than that.

I hope they all stay but I am just going off of past precedence

Mocks were very premature... SGA was shooting 44% on few attempts and his turnovers were not an issue

Diallo living off last season.

Both will drop out.

So if only Knox is a 1st Rounder past precedent would mean we only lose 1 freshman.

Do you think Gabriel and Herro can bring enough help in that spot (of course, I'm assuming Knox and Diallo are gone)?

Honestly, no.

I wince at thinking of Wenyen playing the 3. He would foul out in 4 minutes.

I believe that SGA (assuming he returns), Baker, Jared, and Herro will hold the fort down at the 2 and 3 and honestly be more of a 3 guard lineup.

Wenyen and PJ at the 4, Richards and SKJ at the 5, with IQ and Green at the point.

Still not a championship team.

If SGA does leave that makes things different.

Of course if Daillo returns and remembers how to play basketball we could be a totally different team.

I'm hoping the next year Cal can snag an elite recruit or 2 and this foundation has plenty of pieces of left for a great run in 2020.... (sadly)

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP
I've been thinking this all year, particularly when I see a quack fan on here screaming "I'm fine if they all go the NBA - tired of them all!". Those are the same people that wish Cal would recruit players that stuck around. Well, which is it, quack UK fan? You have to go through the rough first year before you can get to the second to complete your wish list!
Not taking up for the quack fans, because I do not want them all to go to the NBA.

Some of you guy are calling this a bridge year what are we bridging to? We will probably lose at least two guys (Knox, Diallo) Diallo didn't want to come back this year but couldn't get a first round guarantee, I think he leaves this year not matter where he is projected (right know he is projected #28 in the first round).

SKG will be probably go he is projected anywhere from 12 to 20, so that will be three guys we lose. I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt & Gabriel leave. I am basing all of this off of past precedence, all of our players seem hell bent to leave as soon as possible no matter where they are projected to go.

So I ask again if we lose 4-5 players what are we bridging to? It seems like we will have another year like this one & when next year is over another three to five players will leave early no matter where they are projected to go.

As I stated before we seem to be the only school that if you stay more than two years you are a failure, we need to change that narrative.

Again, I hope I am wrong & they all come back.

Not taking up for the quack fans, because I do not want them all to go to the NBA.

Some of you guy are calling this a bridge year what are we bridging to? We will probably lose at least two guys (Knox, Diallo) Diallo didn't want to come back this year but couldn't get a first round guarantee, I think he leaves this year not matter where he is projected (right know he is projected #28 in the first round).

SKG will be probably go he is projected anywhere from 12 to 20, so that will be three guys we lose. I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt & Gabriel leave. I am basing all of this off of past precedence, all of our players seem hell bent to leave as soon as possible no matter where they are projected to go.

So I ask again if we lose 4-5 players what are we bridging to? It seems like we will have another year like this one & when next year is over another three to five players will leave early no matter where they are projected to go.

As I stated before we seem to be the only school that if you stay more than two years you are a failure, we need to change that narrative.

Again, I hope I am wrong & they all come back.

"I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt & Gabriel leave. I am basing all of this off of past precedence"

No you are not.

Diallo and SGA will most likely miss the cut by the last mocks.

Stocks have fallen sharply.

Vanderbilt is not a 1st Rounder and like we heard from Giovany, he never was.

Where does Wenyen go and what precedent fits his situation?

The truth is it is not precedent but speculation of worrisome fans....

Reactions: shutzhund

Well, let’s actually see if it works out this way. For some strange reason I have my doubts.

Reactions: crpoore
"I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt & Gabriel leave. I am basing all of this off of past precedence"

No you are not.

Diallo and SGA will most likely miss the cut by the last mocks.

Stocks have fallen sharply.

Vanderbilt is not a 1st Rounder and like we heard from Giovany, he never was.

Where does Wenyen go and what precedent fits his situation?

The truth is it is not precedent but speculation of worrisome fans....
Have we not had several players go pro after their second year? Even though they were all projected to go second round or undrafted? Here is just the one's I can think of below.
Briscoe, both Harrison's, Ulis, Liggins, Dakari Johnson, & Doron Lamb,

Have we not had several players go pro after their second year? Even though they were all projected to go second round or undrafted? Here is just the one's I can think of below.
Briscoe, both Harrison's, Ulis, Liggins, Dakari Johnson, & Doron Lamb,

Ok but you mentioned 4 freshmen. We wont have 4 freshmen go in the 1st round.

Any that go that are not 1st Rounders are breaking precedent.

As to those sophs listed, does Wenyen have:

Briscoe's attitude toward school and was he grossly overrated as a freshman? Not that we know of.

Harrison's overrated-ness out of HS? No.

Ulis All American status? No.

Liggins' child? No.

Doron Lamb - borderline 1st Round with a coveted skill set (shooting). No

Dakari - Cal told him to stay...

Reactions: catben
Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, and SGA are gone at the end of the season.

SKJ loves it in Lexington and is not transferring/leaving.

I have no idea what the rest of the roster will decide.

Last edited:
Every player that comes back is a good thing (I'm not advocating addition by subtraction). But as long as Washington, Richards, SKJ, Green and Baker are back next season, I feel ok about the pieces and the potential. Add Gabriel and/or Vanderbilt to go with the 3 new kids, and I "like my team."

I think the team I described above would still start out rough around the edges, but I think they could be in the conversation to win it all the end of the season. Of course, a few not-so-trivial things might need to happen also. Like Washington learning how to post-up, Richards finding some better hands, Green improving his lateral quickness and re-discovering his confidence to lead a team at PG, not having to play Washington, Vanderbilt or Gabriel much (if any) at SF, and Baker + the incoming freshmen being "good enough" as first year players to carry a big load in the backcourt.

But improvements through experience, development, additions and off-season work, have to happen for any team to be in that conversation every year.

Well Knox, SKG, & Hami, are all but guaranteed to go & I would not be surprised to see Vanderbilt, & Gabriel as well.

So how is that recruiting multi year players?

We seem to be the only school, that if you spend more than two years at the school you are deemed a failure.
I like this post, I agree whole-heartedly

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
Ok but you mentioned 4 freshmen. We wont have 4 freshmen go in the 1st round.

Any that go that are not 1st Rounders are breaking precedent.

As to those sophs listed, does Wenyen have:

Briscoe's attitude toward school and was he grossly overrated as a freshman? Not that we know of.

Harrison's overrated-ness out of HS? No.

Ulis All American status? No.

Liggins' child? No.

Doron Lamb - borderline 1st Round with a coveted skill set (shooting). No

Dakari - Cal told him to stay...
Look, I hope you are correct & they all come back, I was just stating that it seems like all of our players are ready to leave UK as soon as possible.

Wenyen, specifically, I do not know his finances but their are posters on here that say he will leave no matter what because of his families financial situation.

It's all good. After observing your behavior, it's become abundantly clear there is no reason to ever read another one of your posts. I don't need to prove my connections to a guy who is only here to attack people and vent because his daily life is so awful. I figured out how to put you on ignore. Enjoy talking to yourself.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
ADVERTISEMENT