ADVERTISEMENT

Here's The Truth...

UKMKG

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2012
Many have complained about Cal only recruiting one and done's. You're getting your wish.

This is what the process HAS to look like if Cal is going to recruit players that end up staying multiple years (whether by design or not). It has to start somewhere, and this season is what it looks like to transition to multi-year players.

Next year we have more multi-year players coming in: Johnson (#14), Quickly (#15) and Herro (#33).

In the long run we will be fine...but this is what it looks like to transition to what you all wanted. Now let's see if it works.

Last edited:
Many have complained about Cal only recruiting one and done's. You're getting your wish.

This is what the process HAS to look like if Cal is going to recruit players that stay multiple years. It has to start somewhere, and this season is the transition to multi-year players.

Next year we have more multi-year players coming in: Johnson (#14), Quickly (#15) and Herro (#33).

In the long run we will be fine...but this is what it looks like to transition to what you all wanted. Now let's see if it works.
If the ones we need to do so in fact return,that remains to be seen.

This is what the process HAS to look like if Cal is going to recruit players that stay multiple years. It has to start somewhere, and this season is the transition to multi-year players.

It may be the process, but it was not by design. He's losing the elite recruits. Do not for a second believe this was ever a plan.

Well Knox, SKG, & Hami, are all but guaranteed to go & I would not be surprised to see Vanderbilt, & Gabriel as well.

So how is that recruiting multi year players?

We seem to be the only school, that if you spend more than two years at the school you are deemed a failure.

Question is , do they know they are multi year players ?

The truth is 8 turnovers and missed FT. We out scored them big time in the paint. Actually we shot better for the game than they did, 46 percent to 43 percent. They are getting much better the last two games, just need to tighten up the turnovers and FT's. We beat that team any place else but Auburn.

Keldon Johnson #6 on Espn and I expect him to move closer to that on every service soon

Reactions: MbergCat

Sorry but cal has not changed his recruiting philosophy he simply is now having to settle for the 2nd and 3rd tier kids on his list. Problem though is he is using his same coaching strategy with them as he does the best of the best which isn't working out at all. He is going to have to adapt his coaching to overcome our inefficiencies and get back to being a teacher of the game on both ends of the floor. Not saying all he does is roll the ball out there but on the offensive end at least it is pretty darn close.

Reactions: ck-2 and bigcat1962
Getting guys to return is hugely important.

However, you also have to have a star. Either incoming or someone develops into a star.

I don’t see anyone on this team or coming next year that is a star. Maybe Johnson but I thought Knox would be this year.

Reactions: brianpoe

Wow, talk about glass half full. What makes you think Cal intended for these guys to be multi-year players? In the past, guys like Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt, Washington usually left after one year. If Cal was really trying to build a foundation he would have used his scholarships but he left some open. It wasn't because he knew no one from this team was leaving either.

Getting guys to return is hugely important.

However, you also have to have a star. Either incoming or someone develops into a star.

I don’t see anyone on this team or coming next year that is a star. Maybe Johnson but I thought Knox would be this year.

I don't know that anyone is a surefire star, but we have a few guys who can be.

We've seen it from PJ in certain games. His issues are upstairs. Reminds me a bit of Terrence Jones, except he's surrounded by less talented players.

Vanderbilt absolutely has the physical gifts and the motor and the versatility to be. He could be an All-American and only score in transition and on putbacks when the game slows down.

Quade looks like every little guard Nova or Kansas or schools like that have had over the last decade that grow into great college players.

Richards can be a star in the way that WCS was. You don't run the offense through him but he can alter the game significantly.

Obviously these are optimistic, but if all those guys do is improve at the rate that Wenyen and SKJ did, we'll be quite a bit better.

Add in Quickley, who can get his own shot, create for others, and play defense, a bulldog on the wing, and a pure scorer that we've desperately missed this season in Herro, and we can be a contender if those guys are all back.

Cause here's the thing: it's going to be a down year again next year. The recruits better than the ones we landed are likely going pro, Arizona loses everyone, Duke loses Allen and everyone but Trent and Bolden, Michigan State loses Jackson and Bridges, Kansas loses Graham and Svi and already aren't very good, Purdue loses mostly everyone, Nova loses Brunson and Bridges--we'll have a shot even if we're flawed.

Like I put in another thread: if fans knew these guys would stay, they’d probably be more accepting of this, but when you still see these guys on draft boards, with the possibility of a NIT berth, you can see where fans might be a little perturbed...

It's funny when recruiting most of these players their parents talk about academics and how important they are and then 3 to 5 leave after 1 year, so is it really important or is this just parents speak?

Most of the recruits on this year's team came to UK because of the "one-and-done player-first" recruiting sales pitch.

The lack of team success isn't going to stop 4+ of these current players from leaving once the season ends. Because they came here with expectation of leaving college in 2018.

If you want 3-4 year players, that has to be part of the recruiting pitch. You can't just sell one-and-done, and then assemble an imbalanced roster that underachieves, and suddenly start telling these 5-stars "hey you are really a 4 year player."

We've seen it from PJ in certain games. His issues are upstairs. Reminds me a bit of Terrence Jones, except he's surrounded by less talented players.

Vanderbilt absolutely has the physical gifts and the motor and the versatility to be. He could be an All-American and only score in transition and on putbacks when the game slows down.

Quade looks like every little guard Nova or Kansas or schools like that have had over the last decade that grow into great college players.

Richards can be a star in the way that WCS was. You don't run the offense through him but he can alter the game significantly.

Obviously these are optimistic, but if all those guys do is improve at the rate that Wenyen and SKJ did, we'll be quite a bit better.

Add in Quickley, who can get his own shot, create for others, and play defense, a bulldog on the wing, and a pure scorer that we've desperately missed this season in Herro, and we can be a contender if those guys are all back.

Cause here's the thing: it's going to be a down year again next year. The recruits better than the ones we landed are likely going pro, Arizona loses everyone, Duke loses Allen and everyone but Trent and Bolden, Michigan State loses Jackson and Bridges, Kansas loses Graham and Svi and already aren't very good, Purdue loses mostly everyone, Nova loses Brunson and Bridges--we'll have a shot even if we're flawed.

Good post and I agree, to an extent. All of those are "what ifs" though. A year ago we thought Diallo was going to be a star, thought Knox was a star, and thought Vanderbilt was a likely star. Also, thought Wenyen and SKJ would take big steps forward. Now we know none of those things turned out to be true.

Without the surefire, top tier talent coming in (like it had been) you have to live and die with a whole lot of "what ifs".

Good post and I agree, to an extent. All of those are "what ifs" though. A year ago we thought Diallo was going to be a star, thought Knox was a star, and thought Vanderbilt was a likely star. Also, thought Wenyen and SKJ would take big steps forward. Now we know none of those things turned out to be true.

Without the surefire, top tier talent coming in (like it had been) you have to live and die with a whole lot of "what ifs".

Definitely. Although I think a lot of the reason people predicted those guys to be stars was because they were ranked highly and we were used to seeing that happen. Most didn't account for it being a bad recruiting class overall or that these guys were a slight notch below the rankings of guys like Wall or Davis.

So what we're seeing are guys who are less gifted and therefore need to learn and grow. They can, they're just not immediate stars. A decade ago, 10 and 6 on good percentages and versatile defense out of a freshman PF would have been a huge bright spot. Now we look at Washington like he's as good as he'll ever be because he's not Davis.

Plus, with next year being down, there aren't a lot of sure things for other teams either. We're all in the what if boat, to an extent, sans Duke, and even they have proven to struggle with 3-4 top 10 players even *with* talented veterans.

I wouldn't be confident enough to count Trent as coming back. Not with today's climate in College Basketball. Bolden, DeLaurier and O'Connell would most likely be the returnees of the reserves if I had to guess. I like DeLaurier a lot, reminds me a little bit of a guy named Antonio Lang who played back in the early 90's.

Come on, you think cal woke up last year and said "I'm gonna recruit guys to return?"

He lost all of his top targets. He lost guys early last year and didn't replace them. He didn't intend for this to happen. He just didn't alter his way and he's paying for it.

This is not the way a bridge year should look at U.K. with a coach like Calipari. With next year being at least questionable. This is about not performing to his system's bar and we're left with the fringe guys.

Last edited:

This is what I'm hoping for. It could be the first time we are older and up while everyone else has a dip year.

But guys have to come back. Lose 3 off this team and it's probably not happening. Lose 4/5 and forget it.

Well Knox, SKG, & Hami, are all but guaranteed to go & I would not be surprised to see Vanderbilt, & Gabriel as well.

So how is that recruiting multi year players?

We seem to be the only school, that if you spend more than two years at the school you are deemed a failure.

What is this guarantee?

Of what do you base this statement on, because history and facts are not in your favor...

What is this guarantee?

Of what do you base this statement on, because history and facts are not in your favor...

Gotta remember the G League is upping the contracts bigly.

Briscoe was the first, I'm thinking this year there will be more follow suit. we'll definitely be bringing this conversation back up. I'm hoping you're calling me a moron.

Wow, talk about glass half full. What makes you think Cal intended for these guys to be multi-year players? In the past, guys like Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt, Washington usually left after one year. If Cal was really trying to build a foundation he would have used his scholarships but he left some open. It wasn't because he knew no one from this team was leaving either.

I dont think Cal did intend for this to happen but it did.... so there's that. Next year as well.

So we know have 2 seasons of the recruiting many wanted to see, regardless of intentions.

It is silly to not think there would be a bridge season or even two going this route.

Reactions: UKMKG and catben
Gotta remember the G League is upping the contracts bigly.

Briscoe was the first, I'm thinking this year there will be more follow suit. we'll definitely be bringing this conversation back up. I'm hoping you're calling me a moron.

Not yet.

Still $26k and $75k for ONE player per team.

Was this a forced transition or did Cal change his recruiting approach?

Come on, you think cal woke up last year and said "I'm gonna recruit guys to return?"

He lost all of his top targets. He lost guys early last year and didn't replace them. He didn't intent for this to happen. He just didn't alter his way and he's paying for it.

This is not the way a bridge year should look at U.K. with a coach like Calipari. With next year being at least questionable. This is about not performing to his system's bar and we're left with the fringe guys.

What should bridge year's look like? LOL

Bridge year in sports = Nice name for a team really sucking ass

What should bridge year's look like? LOL

Bridge year in sports = Nice name for a team really sucking ass

Cal is too good of a recruiter to need a bridge year that looks like this. He can have 95% of the players he wants.

I wouldn't be confident enough to count Trent as coming back. Not with today's climate in College Basketball. Bolden, DeLaurier and O'Connell would most likely be the returnees of the reserves if I had to guess. I like DeLaurier a lot, reminds me a little bit of a guy named Antonio Lang who played back in the early 90's.

I think he's a good pro prospect, and I'd definitely go if I were Trent or advising him, but you guys always seem to get a guy like him back. Allen came back. Kennard came back. Jackson left, but he was a freak athlete and went in the second round.

I really like DeLaurier's game. He's active and rangy and unselfish and does all of the little things. He also plays the same position that Zion will play for Duke, so I fully expect him to get buried like he has at times this season even though what he brings is what you guys are missing.

Bolden is going to be an aircraft carrier parked in the lane for a team that doesn't shoot it well and thrives on attacking the rim. Curious to see how that works out and I think it's why K is going all out for Montgomery.

O'Connell looks like he's genuinely afraid of the other players. Good shooter but I don't know if he's ever a guy you can put on the floor when it matters.

This is what it looks like. Yes. But the fact is that Cal got his a$$ handed to him in the recruiting game and still is.

I think he's a good pro prospect, and I'd definitely go if I were Trent or advising him, but you guys always seem to get a guy like him back. Allen came back. Kennard came back. Jackson left, but he was a freak athlete and went in the second round.

I really like DeLaurier's game. He's active and rangy and unselfish and does all of the little things. He also plays the same position that Zion will play for Duke, so I fully expect him to get buried like he has at times this season even though what he brings is what you guys are missing.

Bolden is going to be an aircraft carrier parked in the lane for a team that doesn't shoot it well and thrives on attacking the rim. Curious to see how that works out and I think it's why K is going all out for Montgomery.

O'Connell looks like he's genuinely afraid of the other players. Good shooter but I don't know if he's ever a guy you can put on the floor when it matters.

I think the days of Duke returning a guy like Trent are over. Cruz Jr blowing his stock and their OAD entry will probably stop it all together.

That's a good point!

This is what I'm hoping for. It could be the first time we are older and up while everyone else has a dip year.

But guys have to come back. Lose 3 off this team and it's probably not happening. Lose 4/5 and forget it.

It depends on the guys that leave, and I wouldn't put absolutes on it, but it's in that neighborhood.

If our 4 are Knox, Diallo, Wynyard and Gabriel, I think we can be great next year. If our three are Knox, Richards, SGA, I think we could still struggle at times.

I think the "what *should* happen" route is Knox, Diallo, SGA leave. In which case we're really good next season. The key is keeping Washington/Vanderbilt/Richards/Gabriel.

Reactions: UKMKG
It depends on the guys that leave, and I wouldn't put absolutes on it, but it's in that neighborhood.

If our 4 are Knox, Diallo, Wynyard and Gabriel, I think we can be great next year. If our three are Knox, Richards, SGA, I think we could still struggle at times.

I think the "what *should* happen" route is Knox, Diallo, SGA leave. In which case we're really good next season. The key is keeping Washington/Vanderbilt/Richards/Gabriel.

Getting Vanderbilt, SGA, Green and Richards back would be huge. I still don't see how a player like Vanderbilt wouldn't be stashed and taken in the first round but SGA or Knox would. Vanderbilt has more talent than any of them imo.

I've completely quit trying to guess the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT