ADVERTISEMENT

Herb Sendek on Shaky Ground?

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
18a80380be746c1d5f41aca58b84fbdf_normal.jpeg
SunDevilSource.com[/B] @SunDevilSource · 16m 16 minutes ago

http://arizonastate.scout.com/story/1530633-sendek-job-uncertain-ahead-of-tuesday-meeting?s=43 …

About time. They pay him a lot of money to be very mediocre. Nine years, two NCAA tournaments.

If I was them,I check Marvin Menzies. Four straight tourneys with New Mexico state. Or the Boise state coach.

I can't believe he's lasted this long.

I'm guessing his only two tourneys were with James Harden and if you can't make the dance with a player like that ...

Not only has he been getting mediocre results, he plays a boring ass style.

I think a lot of AD's at 2nd-tier power conference schools should stop looking at the well-credentialed CEO types like Sendek, and start looking at more guys like Bruce Pearl. Someone like Pearl brings energy and excitement, and follows a tradition of guys like Billy Tubbs, Dale Brown, Bobby Cremins, Nolan Richardson (Tulsa version), and so on. Non-MBA type basketball guys who usually brought more excitement to basketball wastelands than any other coaches those schools have ever had.

Who exactly those guys are right now, I can't say for sure, but there have to be some out there.

I "can get" boring Basketball if you're winning, but who the hell wants to watch boring basketball when you're losing. Ugh

He's out per ESPN...

coaching carousel in full swing now...

going to be interesting to see who ASU goes after....they're a type of program that could attract a decent coach...not in an extremely tough conference...nice weather...sun shine, pretty blondes, etc...they have a huge enrollment and alumni base...3 hrs from LA talent...

a lot of desirable assets that somebody with a little ambition and vision could work with...
This post was edited on 3/24 1:49 PM by truebluewildcat

Don't know if any body on here has ever been around Herb Sendek but I have and I can't stand him. A lot of people talk about Travis Ford being an arrogant prick but Herb is right on his level. Everytime I was around him he kept telling me about his 4.1 gpa in college and how smart he was. This was every day sometimes 2-3 times a day. Dude was just a prick and full of himself like he hung the moon and was just so much smarter than everyone else.

Everytime I was around him he kept telling me about his 4.1 gpa in college and how smart he was. This was every day sometimes 2-3 times a day.

Sounds exceedingly insecure.

Originally posted by Smashcat:

Is this really an improvement?

College Spun þ@CollegeSpun 9m9 minutes ago

Scout Reporting Arizona State Has Contacted Jeff Capel About Vacant Head Coaching Job http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/scout-reporting-arizona-state-has-contacted-jeff-capel-about-vacant-head-coaching-job …
Wow...might as well keep Herb...

I think ASU could be a little bit more ambitious than that...somebody in the Admin must have ties to Capel...

Hopefully he's not the only person they're contacting...

I'd probably go after Tommy Amaker before Capel...neither one would be in my top 3 though...

Originally posted by *Bleedingblue*:
Don't know if any body on here has ever been around Herb Sendek but I have and I can't stand him. A lot of people talk about Travis Ford being an arrogant prick but Herb is right on his level. Everytime I was around him he kept telling me about his 4.1 gpa in college and how smart he was. This was every day sometimes 2-3 times a day. Dude was just a prick and full of himself like he hung the moon and was just so much smarter than everyone else.
Lol, I'm shocked he didnt add his salary as well

Yeah, when I was a kid at basketball camp all he talked about was getting into Carnegie Mellon, blah blah. He was supposed to be inspiring us with his rags to riches story, but he didn't come across as very relatable.

LOL, Jeff Capel was terrible at OU, and look at OU now? And he could go from fired to another power 5 league job that quick? Crazy.

You do realize that he had OU ranked #1 in the country for a good part of the year in his third year and the team won 30 games while advancing to the Elite Eight.
Originally posted by KA4Prez:

LOL, Jeff Capel was terrible at OU, and look at OU now? And he could go from fired to another power 5 league job that quick? Crazy.

I think that had more to do with Blake Griffin then Capel's coaching ability. Just my personal opinion I understand if you disagree

Without Blake Griffin, Capel doesn't have a .500 record...he didn't sniff 20 wins any other year...

no one else has even looked at him while he's been at Duke...

this hire would be a bit of a head scratcher...

there are 10 other guys that I would look at before Capel...

Originally posted by Untouchables22:
I think that had more to do with Blake Griffin then Capel's coaching ability. Just my personal opinion I understand if you disagree
Sounds a lot like Tom Crean and Wade.

ADVERTISEMENT