ADVERTISEMENT

"Heat coaches and officials cannot contain their giddiness when discussing Adebayo."

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
Just saw this in Zach Lowe's column.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22459076/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-great-nba-tank-race

"What this clip doesn't show: Adebayo leading a functional fast break, and then staying in front of Eric Bledsoe on a switch. In need of a bucket in the waning seconds against Toronto on Tuesday, Erik Spoelstra called for an inverted pick-and-roll on the block, with Goran Dragic screening for Adebayo -- and Adebayo handling the ball. Adebayo spun baseline, and whipped a cross-court laser to Wayne Ellington for a corner 3.

Adebayo's versatility is way ahead of schedule. He looks comfortable guarding all five positions, and facilitating from the elbows. He has assisted on about 12.5 percent of Miami buckets while on the floor, a rare benchmark for a rookie big.

He has been malleable enough for Spoelstra to try him alongside both Kelly Olynyk (going great) and Whiteside (not so great). Heat coaches and officials cannot contain their giddiness when discussing Adebayo."

Didn't realize Bam was coming on like this. Good for him. That doesn't sound much like the guy we had at Kentucky, good as he was for us. Which is another aspect of getting them for one year - in that year, they don't at all resemble (most of the time) what they will become. I've had to explain more than once that Booker, for example, didn't really look like that at UK. heh....

He's a versatile player. You started to see flashes of it late in the year last year. Cal does an amazing job and laying a developmental foundation and teaching them things that help them at the next level. It's just unfortunate that we only get to see the tip of the iceberg while they are in blue.

Last edited:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22459076/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-great-nba-tank-race

"What this clip doesn't show: Adebayo leading a functional fast break, and then staying in front of Eric Bledsoe on a switch. In need of a bucket in the waning seconds against Toronto on Tuesday, Erik Spoelstra called for an inverted pick-and-roll on the block, with Goran Dragic screening for Adebayo -- and Adebayo handling the ball. Adebayo spun baseline, and whipped a cross-court laser to Wayne Ellington for a corner 3.

Adebayo's versatility is way ahead of schedule. He looks comfortable guarding all five positions, and facilitating from the elbows. He has assisted on about 12.5 percent of Miami buckets while on the floor, a rare benchmark for a rookie big.

He has been malleable enough for Spoelstra to try him alongside both Kelly Olynyk (going great) and Whiteside (not so great). Heat coaches and officials cannot contain their giddiness when discussing Adebayo."

Didn't realize Bam was coming on like this. Good for him. That doesn't sound much like the guy we had at Kentucky, good as he was for us. Which is another aspect of getting them for one year - in that year, they don't at all resemble (most of the time) what they will become. I've had to explain more than once that Booker, for example, didn't really look like that at UK. heh....
People tend to forget these guys were 18 years old & fresh out of high school while here. They’re not the same as the 21-30 year old versions of themselves after time on NBA strength & nutrition plans/practices. I’ve been following Bam’s progress and I’m happy for him. Wish Monk could have got traded to the Bucks. They wanted him bad. Apparently the front office and coaches don’t agree on Monk’s role.

Bam is becoming known for his defense and ability to move his feet and stay in front of just about anyone. I bet if you ask him he would credit Cal and KP for that. This staff does wonders with big guys, not sure why a big kid would go anywhere else

I've said it before, but I was very surprised how much I came to like that team by year end. Liked them all, but especially Fox. I remember a conversation - probably on this board - about whether Fox and Bam would or should be embarrassed about crying in the locker room after the UNC loss. Are you kidding?

I've said it before, but I was very surprised how much I came to like that team by year end. Liked them all, but especially Fox. I remember a conversation - probably on this board - about whether Fox and Bam would or should be embarrassed about crying in the locker room after the UNC loss. Are you kidding?
Anybody that suggested any player should be ashamed for crying after a loss is a freaking moron.

[thumb2]

Sounds like this board, although I know it wasn't probably the same person. Complain about how these kids don't care about wins and losses here and only worry about the NBA, then act bewildered when they cry over a tournament loss.

Love Bam. Such a great kid and attitude. Glad to see him having so much success. If he could have had some help down low, UK rolls to a title.

Man I would love to have him back this year..!!!

I took all kinds of hate from the "experts" on the board last spring before Bam decided to stay in the draft. I simply stated I would much rather have a soph Bam than a freshmen Bamba. And that Bam would be a 20/10 guy for us.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He seemed to be a great kid. Never saw bad body language from him one time and seeing him and Fox after the elite 8 game was heartbreaking.

I’m glad for the kid. After reading stories about his upbringing and mom, him and his family are as deserving as anyone.

Great point! That kid had an amazing attitude. He got called for some of the most bogus fouls called against us all year, fouls that would've sent me over the edge with quick ejection to the locker room, and this kid kept his cool and never got down on himself or his teammates. He was constantly trying to build them, each and everyone of them. He was just an awesome teammate with an incredible attitude towards the game. Really miss seeing that this year and I'm super stoked that he is doing so well in Miami. Keep it up Bam Bam! !

He's a versatile player. You started to see flashes of it late in the year last year. Cal does an amazing job and laying a developmental foundation and teaching them things that help them at the next level. It's just unfortunate that we only get to see the tip of the iceberg while they are in blue.

Over the last half of the season Bam had some monster games for us. People tend to overlook his production.

Good for Bam...tremendous athlete and very coachable. Still, for him to have made such dramatic improvement from rookie year in college to a rookie NBA player is amazing. Helps that Coach Spo is one of the best in the NBA. He could have gone to a crap organization like the Kings.

I am in S FL and hear rumblings that the Heat would trade Whiteside in a heartbeat, for the right pieces, because they know Bam can fill the slot. I guess Hassan has become a headcase so that may also slow down his trade potential.

This is be problem with ththe NCAA. The second they see a big man with handles, they make a point to shut him down, whether with charging or over the back, or letting defenders destroy him. It results in the kid not knowing how in the hell the game is being called.

The NBA game these days allows for space, movement, and only the very few who are instigators (Cousins, Green, Rondo, etc) get punished with stupid fouls. Of course superstars get unfair calls in their favor (LeBron, Westbrook, Curry). If you’re just another dude like Abedayo, you can count on relatively fair officiating. No one is trying to take you out of the game because you’re physically on another level than the entire court.

Granted Cal did not want him handling the ball, and he few times he did it didn’t go so well. A summer of skills training from pros and practice versus g league and a NBA roster goes a long way too.

But in short, NCAA basketball sucks and they actively try to keep it sucky.

Reactions: BlueElvis

Great example in Booker. Another example might be Rondo. FCC.

That's an understatement. He was jobbed so many times that it look like an outright witchhunt on him.
Amazing the difference on how UK's bigs are officiated versus the way lets say Duke's bigs are officiated. Jokafor was allowed to basically pin his defender under the basket with his fat ass and Bam was called for fouls for breathing on someone. I know the displacement rule change had an influence here, but still. Had that rule been changed before the 2014-15 season, Duke wouldn't have even made the Sweet Sixteen and Jokafor would have been way less effective.

Amazing the difference on how UK's bigs are officiated versus the way lets say Duke's bigs are officiated. Jokafor was allowed to basically pin his defender under the basket with his fat ass and Bam was called for fouls for breathing on someone. I know the displacement rule change had an influence here, but still. Had that rule been changed before the 2014-15 season, Duke wouldn't have even made the Sweet Sixteen and Jokafor would have been way less effective.

Great point.

A couple of the fouls in that unc were down right fraudulent

So happy to see him flourishing! Selfishly I wish he would have stayed and taught this young team about grit and toughness. In the end though Bam is right where he should be.

Bam, Randle, KAT and Cousins are 4 of the most dominant low post big men I've ever seen play for UK.
I mean I know right? Got to include Davis in that mix as well. It's why I don't understand why we ever lose a recruiting battle over and bigs. Davis dominant NBA big most likely hall of fame. Cousins dominant NBA big most likely hall of fame, KAT dominant NBA big most likely hall of fame, Randal NBA starter upside in a better situation could develop into an all star, Noel will play 10 or more years in the league NBA starter quality player, WCS NBA starter quality upside to be an allstar player once or twice, Lyle's NBA starter quality enough upside to be an all-star, Poythress no way a kid like Poythress makes it to the NBA and ends up with a guaranteed contract anywhere else, hell even Skal is playing well and has all star potential.

It's why I think Duke is cheating right now it's not just the getting the kids to the NBA that should sell these kids it's how they produce while there going from a few million dollars and out of the league Cal's players on the most part with the kinda wealth that will change the lives of their great great grandchildren

Reactions: Pizza Slice
ADVERTISEMENT