ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Vanderbilt and Gabriel

Apr 29, 2018
Did not get invited. Heard this from a friend that is reasonably connected to the NBA. Washington did get invited along with the other 3 that were expected. Been a long time reader and just wanted to pass along what I heard because I know some others had mentioned not hearing anything yet. I think it can still change though depending on declined invitations.

Did not get invited. Heard this from a friend that is reasonably connected to the NBA. Washington did get invited along with the other 3 that were expected. Been a long time reader and just wanted to pass along what I heard because I know some others had mentioned not hearing anything yet. I think it can still change though depending on declined invitations.
Washington as the only invitee is what I expected. Hope he goes and he's told to work on his shooting and prepare for a weaker draft next year.

Declaring is useless in some aspects if you're not ready. If you struggled against college competition, there's no point in declaring. Come back and beat level 2 before you consider level 1. Also for one year college basketball IS an NBA combine. They just watched you for an entire year and aren't interested. There's no reason to find out why, it's probably because you aren't ready in general aspects. Just focus on becoming a better basketball player, novel idea.

I get it, why not? But it's already tiresome watching guys have no interest in their current position and just want out even when they aren't near ready.

It’s not TOTALLY useless. They get more than “work on free throws.” Pro scouts will tell them specifics to work on. What translates well and what doesn’t. What the teams most interested in are looking for from them....

If you’re close enough to tweak from feedback even if you’re not ready then there is some value in it

I’ll be pissed if they all stay in because I don’t honestly expect them to blow scouts away

Declaring is useless in some aspects if you're not ready. If you struggled against college competition, there's no point in declaring. Come back and beat level 2 before you consider level 1. Also for one year college basketball IS an NBA combine. They just watched you for an entire year and aren't interested. There's no reason to find out why, it's probably because you aren't ready in general aspects. Just focus on becoming a better basketball player, novel idea.

I get it, why not? But it's already tiresome watching guys have no interest in their current position and just want out even when they aren't near ready.
Show me the money!

Also, don't the scouts do detailed reports on these guys anyway? I'm sure Cal can get those anytime he wants.

In theory, even guys who don’t get into the combine can get individual workouts/feedback.

Plus, some guys just want out. They can go make a couple bucks in Europe or play in the G-League whether they go to the Combine or not.

The older I get, the crazier I think it is though. Pass up millions? Nah. But leave college to go ride buses and make 50 grand? Insane, honestly. I think they don’t know how good they’ve got it.

It’s not TOTALLY useless. They get more than “work on free throws.” Pro scouts will tell them specifics to work on. What translates well and what doesn’t. What the teams most interested in are looking for from them....

If you’re close enough to tweak from feedback even if you’re not ready then there is some value in it

I’ll be pissed if they all stay in because I don’t honestly expect them to blow scouts away

It simply makes no sense at times. Guys like PJ don't need an NBA scout to tell them why they aren't being drafted. What do they say, you need to work on? Height for position? Work on maturity? Work on everything? Today's nba is a shooters game and you can't shoot? Lol seriously, what are they going to say that he hasn't already been told? Does Cal not have access to these scouts?

I think it's useless sometimes and the reason some do it is because of

A - the experience
B - The slim chance a team sees them up close and wants them.

I don' my think instruction has anything to do with it at all with some of these guys.

Your tired of guys living their own lives,the nerve of them.

I usually agree with you quite often but not on this point. By declaring and maybe getting to go to combine they are receiving free info from someone other than who they hear all season long in college. They get specifics as to what NBA scouts feel they most need to work on and they receive verification from those at that level that they may or may not be ready for the NBA. It's all free so it's a win/win situation for the players and I can't blame them one bit for at least going through the process. What do they have to lose by doing it? And, they have much to gain from the experience. I know we all want our guys to be here longer and get frustrated with all the hoopla about our guys jumping to the pros every year but that's the price we pay for having the top elite players we get each year at UK. I don't like it much either but it is what it is with the way it's set up right now.

It simply makes no sense at times. Guys like PJ don't need an NBA scout to tell them why they aren't being drafted. What do they say, you need to work on? Height for position? Work on maturity? Work on everything? Today's nba is a shooters game and you can't shoot? Lol seriously, what are they going to say that he hasn't already been told? Does Cal not have access to these scouts?

I think it's useless sometimes and the reason some do it is because of

A - the experience
B - The slim chance a team sees them up close and wants them.

I don' my think instruction has anything to do with it at all with some of these guys.

B is the answer. They hope someone sees them up close, falls in love, and gives them a guarantee.

They might tell themselves it’s A, but I’m guessing it’s 95% B if they’re honest.

And honestly, I don’t blame a guy like PJ for trying. I just think he’s nuts if he passes up on another year at UK without incredible feedback.

Let me log out and go back over to Gleague.com.

My mistake, accidentally thought I was on a UK basketball message board.
Your getting worked up over something that hasn't happened,has JV said he was staying in the draft? Grow a set and deal

Dumb to even declare.

It's all about the brand. They know they're not ready but they like to keep their names in the news; Thus all the news conferences and announcements. They are taught this media savviness early upon arriving on campus. NBA is their goal and Cal's for them. This is not about school but the art of public business. What seems nonsensical for us is all part of their process. Even in disappointment they are constantly trying to build their brand. Really, who can blame them. School is seldom the goal and almost never the reality. It is only a means to a desired end, and a quick one at that. It's not right or wrong, it's just the way it is in the world we live in.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I can see declaring when a player is right there at the doorstep and may only need minor improvement to be able to make an NBA roster, but to declare when your entire game is lacking in multiple area’s to me is futile. I get it that they want to see where they stand but why waste your one opportunity when it’s obvious that a player has so much that they need to work on in the college game much less the NBA. If you can’t lead the pack with the little dog’s, you sure can’t run with the big dog’s.

Thanks.

Should be no chance now they leave, but we’ll see.

Here’s the big question. If not invited when do vanderbilt and Gabriel make their intentions for next season known?? Nothing holding them back now

Its been rumored for a while now that Gabriel is considering over seas as well.

I say rumored because it hasn't come out of his own mouth but nearly every reporter and source that we have has either hinted as much or said it directly.

I would say only those invited to combine actually get much NBA feedback.
I think around 200 declared. Most will just be ignored or get a generic eval.

ADVERTISEMENT