ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing any names for UK baseball assts?

From the get go, the name associated with replacing Roland Fanning as recruiting coordinator and assistant coach was Will Coggin. Coggin last had the same role at Miss. State in 2017. Coggin and Mingione were on the Miss. State coaching staff together for a few years. Coggin was replaced in 2017 by the old Miss. State coaching staff (before that head coach was fired in 2018). He has since, to my knowledge, worked as a sports agent in Lexington. His firm (though not necessarily Coggin himself) was associated with several UK football players, including Denzil Ware, which led to Ware being suspended from a bowl game several years back.

There has been no mention, that I have seen, about who might be our new pitching coach.

From the get go, the name associated with replacing Roland Fanning as recruiting coordinator and assistant coach was Will Coggin. Coggin last had the same role at Miss. State in 2017. Coggin and Mingione were on the Miss. State coaching staff together for a few years. Coggin was replaced in 2017 by the old Miss. State coaching staff (before that head coach was fired in 2018). He has since, to my knowledge, worked as a sports agent in Lexington. His firm (though not necessarily Coggin himself) was associated with several UK football players, including Denzil Ware, which led to Ware being suspended from a bowl game several years back.

There has been no mention, that I have seen, about who might be our new pitching coach.
I've heard Coggin's name too. Not sure about that move.

I've heard Coggin's name too. Not sure about that move.

Hate it.

It is scary to me that Coggins hasn't been a baseball coach since 2017. It is strange to go from being an assistant at one of the premier programs in the country to being entirely out of work and having to becoming an agent. Maybe that is what Coggins wanted to do, but it still smells funny. On top of that, I think UK needs some more experience in their coaching staff to help them adjust properly. We do not have time for growing pains at this point.

Reactions: mrschwump
Hate it.

It is scary to me that Coggins hasn't been a baseball coach since 2017. It is strange to go from being an assistant at one of the premier programs in the country to being entirely out of work and having to becoming an agent. Maybe that is what Coggins wanted to do, but it still smells funny. On top of that, I think UK needs some more experience in their coaching staff to help them adjust properly. We do not have time for growing pains at this point.
Couldn't agree more. This hasn't happened yet, right?

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Hate it.

I still like the ring of Coach Flynn and Coach Madison. Plenty of experience and knowledge until the program can hopefully get on solid ground again. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
I still like the ring of Coach Flynn and Coach Madison. Plenty of experience and knowledge until the program can hopefully get on solid ground again. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

That would probably hurt us long term due to recruiting.

That would probably hurt us long term due to recruiting.
Why...you can almost bet the guy(s) he gets won't have any experience or be able to recruit. Flynn is a former gold glove and Madison probably has forgotten more about recruiting that any of the guys he gets. Besides, Mingione can do some recruiting and KM can help him from being an ex HC that had to be chief cook and bottle washer in his day.

Why...you can almost bet the guy(s) he gets won't have any experience or be able to recruit. Flynn is a former gold glove and Madison probably has forgotten more about recruiting that any of the guys he gets. Besides, Mingione can do some recruiting and KM can help him from being an ex HC that had to be chief cook and bottle washer in his day.

Recruiting is about relationships. Flynn and Madison haven't done it in a long time

Recruiting would be up to Mingione from a relationship standpoint. Don't think Madison forgot everything he knew.

Ming can't be and go everywhere to recruit the young players. Flynn and Madison would have to go as well and those players are going to be smart enough to realize that those two may not be at UK when they are finally at UK. So, they may not be as willing to form a bond knowing they won't even be their coaches.

Reactions: C*A*T*S
Ming can't be and go everywhere to recruit the young players. Flynn and Madison would have to go as well and those players are going to be smart enough to realize that those two may not be at UK when they are finally at UK. So, they may not be as willing to form a bond knowing they won't even be their coaches.
Hell , Mingione may not be there either! Digging for straws here. Anybody they bring in is going be questionable because of the situation. We know that Flynn and Madison love the program and have been around the block a time or two. After a couple years(hopefully) you could turn the positions over to some more younger, experienced and successful asstants.

Last edited:
Hell , Mingione may not be there either! Digging for straws here. Anybody they bring in is going be questionable because of the situation. We know that Flynn and Madison love the program and have been around the block a time or two. After a couple years(hopefully) you could turn the positions over to some more younger, experienced and successful asstants.

There doubt with new assistants. They'd know Madison and Flynn were entirely temporary. I just don't think somewhat interim coaches would go over well.

There doubt with new assistants. They'd know Madison and Flynn were entirely temporary. I just don't think somewhat interim coaches would go over well.
You are probably absolutely right... I was just making some conversation because I don't think it's going to matter and we will have a whole new staff after next year anyway

Last edited:
You are probably absolutely right... I would just making some conversation because I don't think it's going to matter and we will have a whole new staff after next year anyway

I'm not often right. Lol.

We will see what happens. It is a pretty imperative time for the baseball program. Others are moving up. We need to as well.

Lots of good, young asst coaches at all levels out there, it's up to Mingione to find them.

One thing about D Flynn, he would improve our Keystone Cops defense from last year simply by default. Our infield defense especially, was comical and head scratching at times !!

One thing about D Flynn, he would improve our Keystone Cops defense from last year simply by default. Our infield defense especially, was comical and head scratching at times !!

But who coached defense last year? I've not been clear on that. I think Fanning taught outfield.

Coach Williams coaches infielders. He also runs the offense during games. Somewhat strange to have a volunteer assistant with that much influence.

Coach Williams coaches infielders. He also runs the offense during games. Somewhat strange to have a volunteer assistant with that much influence.

Thanks. I knew Guilliams coached the hitters. Didn't know he coached infield. Seems strange that Mingione doesn't necessarily have a specific task.

Recruiting isn't like it use to be. Now the guys have sites such as PBR, Perfect Game etc. But that just narrows down the players you might want to check on. Eventually you have to go to those summer tournaments and showcases to see for yourself.

Recruiting isn't like it use to be. Now the guys have sites such as PBR, Perfect Game etc. But that just narrows down the players you might want to check on. Eventually you have to go to those summer tournaments and showcases to see for yourself.
NOBODY had it tougher than Madison while being the HC at UK!!! Man had to do everything including raising money.

D1 baseball tweeted the coach would be names this week. Mentioned Stetson’s pitching coach was a candidate. That would be a pretty good get if it happens.

Would be interesting. Stetson was pretty solid for a couple years but took a step back this year and went just 27-32.

D1 baseball tweeted the coach would be names this week. Mentioned Stetson’s pitching coach was a candidate. That would be a pretty good get if it happens.

Also, I think it is a lock that Coggin will be the other assistant. I couldn't find the D1 Baseball tweet. Is it behind a pay wall?

Okay, found the update on UK... pretty short and sweet. May possibly know something soon about our new pitching coach. Dave Therneau is the name of the Stetson pitching coach. His is the only named mentioned, but it didn't seem like it was necessarily a sure thing.

Therneau seemed to do an excellent job with Stetson pitchers. He has been at Stetson for 4 years.

ISo, this is kind of fun and weird....

Therneau's first year at Stetson was 2016. So, let's look back:

In 2015 Stetson's team ERA was ranked 1 spot higher than UK's at 136 with an overall ERA of 4.36. Stetson finished the year 29-30. UK had the same ERA in 4 fewer games and finished 30-25.

In 2016 (first year) Therneau came in and improved the ranking of Stetson to once again be 1 rank higher than UK at 77. They had a team ERA of 3.95 and went 32-25. UK was a 3.97.

In 2017, Stetson distances itself a bit from UK pitching to be ranked 47th with a 3.80 ERA. UK finished 52nd at 3.85. This was a historic year for UK and Stetson struggled at 27-29.

In 2018 Stetson really distinguished itself and had the BEST, NO 1 ERA in college baseball. 2.66 and went 48-13. Kentucky was ranked 208th. **Note** Stetson was an 11 seed and hosted a regional in 2018. They destroyed everyone in their regional winning three in a row by a combined score of 29-7, including two wins over OK State. They went to Chapel Hill in the Supers and lost back to back. They got there on their pitching. Stetson batting average was ranked 225th in the nation in 2018.

2019 saw things come back quite a bit with a ranking of 124 and an ERA of 4.70.

Therneau was named Collegiate Baseball's pitching coach of the year in 2018. 2018:
  • Stetson finished first in the NCAA in ERA – 2.66
  • Stetson finished first in the NCAA in fewest hits allowed per nine innings – 6.81
  • Stetson finished first in the NCAA in shutouts – 9 (tied)
  • Stetson finished first in the NCAA in WHIP – 1.11
  • Stetson finished first in the NCAA in strikeouts – 635 (tied)
  • Stetson finished third in the NCAA in strikeouts per nine innings – 10.5
  • Stetson finished third in the NCAA strikeout to walk ratio – 3.31

So, it begs the question... was it a perfect storm, or can this guy really regularly put forth very solid pitching?

Reactions: Lerbut23
Hired Dan Roszel from East Carolina. Don't know a lot about him but they have been one of the top programs in the country the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT