ADVERTISEMENT

Headed to Lexington for my first NIL event!!!!

Appreciate it Bro.. Have a great time & looking forward to your thoughts on the whole event. Thank You!

Wow.

Just got home.

I only stopped by for 15 minutes to get a physical address to visit, and/or mail a check to, but got to meet some of the head folks and fist-bump Deone Walker.

I have a couple of footballs from the QB Club, and it had not occurred to me to take them up for player autographs, but the line at 5:15 stretched for hundreds of feet, nearly the length of the meeting room, which was freaking huge.

I’m guessing there were 750-1,000 people there at 5:15. I only stayed like 15 minutes.

Seemed to be well-run, and frankly, the turnout surprised me.

I told the folks I wanted to get out before the basketball crowd arrived, and one said, “oh, this is a football crowd.”

Deone was sitting, and with those glasses, he looked and sounded kind of bookish. Some folks get it all!!

Nondescript blue & white uniforms

Have i ever mentioned how much I loathe JMI?
Do other schools allow it? Just curious it seems most NIL deals I have seen where they are actually advertising the players are always in these nondescript uniforms. Bryce Young in the Fansville ones then the gym billboards with UL players I see in Louisville.

Do other schools allow it?
Not that I have seen. Someone posted a thread with at least half-a-dozen from Bama, Tennessee, etc., and while all wore the correct color, none had school names, etc.

Pull up Levis’s Bronco Ad (I’ll try to link below). His Jersey is oddly gathered at the top of his shoulders . . . I think to hide the checkerboard design, and I don’t think you see any UKish.

There is a “whisper” at the end, “Drive it like a Wildcat,” but I doubt K-State, Zona or UK own the word “Wildcat,” or that JMI can charge for it.

[Just re-watched. Levis actually wore
a black shirt with his name on it, and the helmet might be a greenish/blue!!!]

Last edited:
Wow.

Just got home.

I only stopped by for 15 minutes to get a physical address to visit, and/or mail a check to, but got to meet some of the head folks and fist-bump Deone Walker.

I have a couple of footballs from the QB Club, and it had not occurred to me to take them up for player autographs, but the line at 5:15 stretched for hundreds of feet, nearly the length of the meeting room, which was freaking huge.

I’m guessing there were 750-1,000 people there at 5:15. I only stayed like 15 minutes.

Seemed to be well-run, and frankly, the turnout surprised me.

I told the folks I wanted to get out before the basketball crowd arrived, and one said, “oh, this is a football crowd.”

Deone was sitting, and with those glasses, he looked and sounded kind of bookish. Some folks get it all!!

Great News!!! Thanx for the info!!

I didn't realize I could have had my picture taken with a cardboard cut out. That changes things.

Free Season Tickets Bro.. Promoting on social media.. Drawing Interest & doing something in return for some fans..

They need more stuff like this.. Giving something back free to the fans!!

But if you choose not to, it’s all good Bro.. Nobody will be mad or cares!!

Wife and I got there a little before 4 and stayed a little past 5. Spent about 20 minutes on the team bus talking with one of the bus drivers. Bill Rawlings- super nice guy. Bought a couple drinks and stood in line about for 30 minutes. Bought a poster for $5 for player autographs. They also had mini footballs volleyballs player cards shirts and hats for sale as well. There were about 20ish fb players there and they all seemed happily surprised by the turnout and appreciative as well. Spoke to TR and told him he was going to have a big year. He smiled and said yeah we’re gonna go fast and that he was glad “He” was back (meaning Coen). Very well run for such a new/big event. Looking forward to what they’re cooking up next time.

Wife and I got there a little before 4 and stayed a little past 5. Spent about 20 minutes on the team bus talking with one of the bus drivers. Bill Rawlings- super nice guy. Bought a couple drinks and stood in line about for 30 minutes. Bought a poster for $5 for player autographs. They also had mini footballs volleyballs player cards shirts and hats for sale as well. There were about 20ish fb players there and they all seemed happily surprised by the turnout and appreciative as well. Spoke to TR and told him he was going to have a big year. He smiled and said yeah we’re gonna go fast and that he was glad “He” was back (meaning Coen). Very well run for such a new/big event. Looking forward to what they’re cooking up next time.

Thanx for all the info!

Was our CatsIllustrated resident JMI employee there policing the event? I can see him there lecturing and laying the smack down!

Reactions: CatPatrick13
If I had known that I may have flown up from Florida. How cool would it be to have a picture with a piece of cardboard. Wow, it certainly does change things. That is one giant step for UK fandom.

Then it obviously sounds like , this season ticket give away isn’t for you, hopefully someone else might be interested!!

hopefully someone else might be interested!!
Thousands appeared interested.

I did not see the cardboard cutouts, but it was a three ring circus in a massive hall.

Wife and I got there a little before 4 and stayed a little past 5.
I was curious what the very early crowd looked like. I was there from 5:10 to 5:20ish, and that autograph line was huge.

I wonder if any (posting) folks were there 6:00-8:00 pm?

That’s not a JMI thing.

That’s simply how things work in the real world.
Yeah, after many examples from other schools showing the protection of such symbols posted on this forum, you’d think this would kind of die out.

or UK could for once try to take a step ahead of everyone else, do something to really let our kids max out NIL by being in real logo'ed unis. God forbid UK be innovative, instead of constantly 12 to 18 months behind who are serious about NIL.

or UK could for once try to take a step ahead of everyone else, do something to really let our kids max out NIL by being in real logo'ed unis. God forbid UK be innovative, instead of constantly 12 to 18 months behind who are serious about NIL.
It’s a function of US laws.

UK is required, by law, to defend their intellectual property against infringement or dilution. Otherwise, UK can lose the right to their trademarks.

Has nothing to do with whether or not UK is being innovative. If people want to use the UK logo, then they need to obtain a license. Simple as that.

Was our CatsIllustrated resident JMI employee there policing the event? I can see him there lecturing and laying the smack down!
Were you there KSR Hall Monitor? I can see you there lecturing people what they should and shouldn’t post. You should get an award for lame.

First this fraud acts like UK/JMI is doing something that hurts NIL. Then his ignorance is pointed out and he’s shown how everyone does it and he changes up to being innovative then back to the 12 to 18 months behind. NIL is about 18 months old. Any ignorant nonsense for the narrative.

God forbid UK be innovative, instead of constantly 12 to 18 months behind who are serious about NIL.
Having followed this narrative since the SCOTUS opinion, I think you are beating a dead horse. The deal done with JMI, is very similar to deals done by other Universities with Learfield. The JMI deal was very lucrative, and predated by years the SCOTUS opinion allowing NIL.

Hence, lest UK breach a contract they have received millions from, they cannot be so “innovative,” as you suggest, absent opening themselves to a likely successful suit for breach of contract, and potentially subjecting players to legal action for “third-party-interference-with-contract,” if the JMI contract is breached to the obvious benefit of the players.

Our real shortfall, I fear, is the simple fact that, unlike Alabama and Tennessee, (and maybe ten others) we may not have 25,000.00 to 50,000 fans willing to toss $50.00 to $500.00 into collectives to raise millions to effectively support all programs, but especially football and men’s basketball.

But we just might have them . . . and have certainly been aided by the generosity of Paul Miller Ford, Ale 8 One, the family of the gubernatorial candidate [the Craft’s] Brady James, and several others with deep pockets, or products to sell with endorsements.

I’m as worried as is any fan of UK that we might get left in the dust, but merely persistently bitching about the real or perceived failures of Mitch Barnhart or other boogeymen doesn’t put a dent in the very financial shortfall that concerns you.

I focused my worry, yesterday, with a 100 mile round trip to toss fifteen bucks in with the 15 Club, just so I could get a physical address to deliver checks for my future participation. I told them, “ I’m old-school,” and briefly met the president of the organization and others involved. And that makes me feel more confident in making contributions.

So, I am thinking how I and you can think, and act with innovation. . . I’m going to try to hook up the QB Club with the 15 Club, and focus family gift-giving for birthdays and Christmas on purchases of products the players profit from.

Maybe Club 15 and this very website need to talk: I’d love to see major supporters of UK NIL receive recognition in a fixed fashion on this site, which might earn Rivals and the collective money and attention.

Last edited:
Have i ever mentioned how much I loathe JMI?
I kind of like JMI.

Their huge investment coincided nicely with our sports and campus transformation of the last few years, giving us a very comfortable stadium and helping propel our total sports to the Top 10 in the nation.

And I will think much better of JMI (and Kroger) when I hear that they, too, have participated in NIL activities benefitting Kentucky athletes . . . . let’s just say they have more at risk should our sports decline than does the average fan.

Having followed this narrative since the SCOTUS opinion, I think you are beating a dead horse. The deal done with JMI, is very similar to deals done by other Universities with Learfield. The JMI deal was very lucrative, and predated by years the SCOTUS opinion allowing NIL.

Hence, lest UK breach a contract they have received millions from, they cannot be so “innovative,” as you suggest, absent opening themselves to a likely successful suit for breach of contract, and potentially subjecting players to legal action for “third-party-interference-with-contract,” if the JMI contract is breached to the obvious benefit of the players.

Our real shortfall, I fear, is the simple fact that, unlike Alabama and Tennessee, (and maybe ten others) we may not have 25,000.00 to 50,000 fans willing to toss $50.00 to $500.00 into collectives to raise millions to effectively support all programs, but especially football and men’s basketball.

But we just might have them . . . and have certainly been aided by the generosity of Paul Miller Ford, Ale 8 One, the family of the gubernatorial candidate, Brady James, and several others with deep pockets, or products to sell with endorsements.

I’m as worried as is any fan of UK that we might get left in the dust, but merely persistently bitching about the real or perceived failures of Mitch Barnhart or other boogeymen doesn’t put a dent in the very financial shortfall that concerns you.

I focused my worry, yesterday, with a 100 mile round trip to toss fifteen bucks in with the 15 Club, just so I could get a physical address to deliver checks for my future participation. I told them, “ I’m old-school,” and briefly met the president of the organization and others involved. And that makes me feel more confident in making contributions.

So, I am thinking how I and you can think, and act with innovation. . . I’m going to try to hook up the QB Club with the 15 Club, and focus family gift-giving for birthdays and Christmas on purchases of products the players profit from.

Maybe Club 15 and this very website need to talk: I’d love to see major supporters of UK NIL receive recognition in a fixed fashion on this site, which might earn Rivals and the collective money and attention.
You’re spot on.

And appreciate the tangible example of how someone can address this in a positive fashion.

I kind of like JMI.

Their huge investment coincided nicely with our sports and campus transformation of the last few years, giving us a very comfortable stadium and helping propel our total sports to the Top 10 in the nation.

And I will think much better of JMI (and Kroger) when I hear that they, too, have participated in NIL activities benefitting Kentucky athletes . . . . let’s just say they have more at risk should our sports decline than does the average fan.
Exactly. JMI has a been a good partner of the program for years. There’s no need to vilify them.

That’s not a JMI thing.

That’s simply how things work in the real world.
It may work like that now but with Learfields new deal with Bama, things ARE going to change.
JMI is taking a short term approach to this. A little bit of bend on their part may make it seem like they are actually partners with UK. The clearly are not partners now.

Reactions: catben and JHB4UK
Maybe all UK fans and associated businesses should come together to make this work. Instead of bitching about each other. I'm not a fan of NIL as it currently sits, but there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. UK fans have to get on the same page or we'll be a basement dweller in the SEC

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
It may work like that now but with Learfields new deal with Bama, things ARE going to change.
JMI is taking a short term approach to this. A little bit of bend on their part may make it seem like they are actually partners with UK. The clearly are not partners now.
No it isn’t going to change because there has been no change to US IP laws regarding things like trademarks.

If student athletes start using Alabama’s logo or uniforms as part of an NIL deal, then it’s because one of the parties involved acquired a license to use them.

We played #1 Georgia at home in an half empty stadium because JMI is holding us back… apparently. The truth is our football program doesn’t have the support of other top programs and that’s why we’re behind them in NIL not flipping logos, not any of these other made up lies. Tennessee’s football twitter account has 750k followers, UK’s has 250K. Their fans care more about football, they give more, support more, and they don’t make fun of NIL events with cardboard cutout photo promos that raise money for NIL.

Maybe all UK fans and associated businesses should come together to make this work.
I’m a Matt Jones and KSR fan!

Hell, unlike many (maybe most) I share his politics.

But I have to ask: given his outspoken complaints, what has KSR done to support NIL at UK?

JMI is taking a short term approach to this. A little bit of bend on their part may make it seem like they are actually partners with UK.
I don’t give a damn about logos, and I blame neither JMI nor Learfield for protecting what they have been paying for, for years predating NIL.

But if Learfield sees fit to support NIL at Bama or elsewhere, I would hope our major partners would step-to-the-plate with some NIL.

And the names that come to mind are JMI, Kroger and KSR!

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT