ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins

mcbarrycat

Sophomore
Nov 12, 2006
it seems there has not been a lot talk about Hawkins. He has shown signs of being a good player, and just like Willis, he will get his chance next season. I really like Hawkins motor, he just has been a little shell shocked at times during games.

Hawkins is fine, but unless he learns to shoot, we have 2 better players at his position.

Willis will get his chance now. We can only hope he improves as a player over the summer.

Willis is the player who really needs to step up and prove he deserves to have that scholarship and i think he will

I don't think he'll start, but he'll have the opportunity to get a lot of minutes. He really needs to work on improving his outside shot. How well he does that will probably be a big part of determining how much he'll play. He's a tenacious defender though, and that alone with end up getting him some PT. I for one and glad we have him. Willis to. With the likelihood of a big recruiting haul next year this year may be the best shot for both of them to make significant contributions. I'll pulling for them both!

If Hawkins is getting a lot of minutes that means Ulis or Briscoe is hurt or in constant foul trouble. I look for Cal to start Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Poy and Skal, and when Ulis needs a breather slide Briscoe to 1, Mulder to 2 and put in Matthews at the 3, or slide Mulder to the 2, leave Ulis at the 1, and Matthews at the 3, or sub Matthews for Mulder. My point is...those expecting a guy that can't shoot or score to play "a lot" of minutes will probably be due for a letdown.

Now if he learns to be any threat on offense he can get some minutes, no arguments here.

Big Hawkins fan, but it is about opportunity. Every player on the upcoming team has a Great opportunity to be greater than they would be with yadda yadda All americans.

It is a players program, right?

Last edited:
I really look for Lee, Willis, & Hawkins to step up big time for us. Look who beat us in the final4. Not 1 McDonald's all American. Their main scorer couldn't get on the floor 2 years earlier. What's to say Willis or Lee can't do that. They have for sure practiced against better players than Kaminski did. I really like our experience, mixed with some of the best freshmen.

If Hawkins could consistently knock down the 3 point shot I wouldn't mind seeing us go small and put him in with Ulis and Briscoe in a 3 guard lineup. Briscoe is big enough to guard the 3 spot. That team could really put pressure on the ball.

He's not a shooter, though, so he'll likely just get spot duty.

I think Hawkins has proven enough to earn minutes in most situation, but when you have Andrew AND Ulis on a team, it's hard to get minute.

Unfortunately for him, his situation remains the same with Ulis AND Briscoe. He'll need to really work on his shooting and other skill sets. He has athleticism to actually play over Ulis and Briscoe, but he doesn't have any skill set to match up to those two.

ADVERTISEMENT