ADVERTISEMENT

Hawaii family vacation recommendations

BlueBallz

Senior
Mar 26, 2003
Frisco, TX
I’m thinking at a family trip to Hawaii this summer. I know there are several vacation islands, each with different things to do. Will be taking the wife, a 11 and 12 yr old. Has anyone been that can offer advice, tips, etc?

I haven’t been. One of 5 states I’m missing. But here are a few tips that I’ve heard over and over and over......many people and over many years.

-plan for 10 days.....preferably 2 wks or more. Between the travel time and change in time zone, it can take 1-2 days just to catch up. If you’re only gone a wk, that’s 2-4 days of the 7 being dog tired.

-avoid Waikiki beach. There are sooo many great beaches that are far less crowded.

-participate in a Hawaiian bbq......where they bury the pig in the sand with banana leaves. Preferably luau style with hula dancers, fire dancers, etc.

-definitely experience that state delicacy......spam.

Reactions: BlueBallz
I've only been to Maui but it was incredible.

- Snorkeling. See tons of fish and sea turtles come right up to you(can't touch them though). Your kids might want to do that every day. Go out on a boat at least once for snorkeling(Molokini). Rent equipment the rest of the week. They can tell you good spots. Whale tours if there during the season.

- Hiking. Most of it is on the road to Hana. Seven Pools and waterfall through the bamboo forest are musts IMO.

- Biking. Specifically biking down Mt. Haleakala.

Plenty to do to fill up a week but might want to see some sights on Oahu for a day or two.

Wife and I have been 3 times. You really need to take 10 days out there. We have always flown into Waikiki and stayed three nights and then stay in Maui for a week. In Waikiki, we have stayed at the Westin. Someone said above to stay away from Waikiki, but it's beautiful. There is a reason we go there first as its definitely more crowded but its still worth going to. Beach is beautiful and nightlife is good on the strip. Great place to people watch as well. Tons of Asians. They will not move for you so just run into them. Learned this very quick.

In Maui, we have always stayed at a Westin Ocean Resort villas on VRBO in Kaanapali. They have a shuttle that can take you to Front Street or Whalers Village. Maui and other islands are obviously way more low-key than the other islands.

Thanks for the info, I’ll have to see how I can swing 10 days, will probably go the first week of July, so it may be easier to do for work. I’m assuming I could work with the hotel for different excursion packages too.

I went to Hawaii for 5 days and stayed on Waikiki.

I did not experience time zone issues for 4 days, I had a great time on the beach and felt no need to stay any longer. Sure, I'd love to stay 3 weeks but most people can't afford to do that or have the time off to do that.

You'll be in Hawaii in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Pick a spot near a great beach, go to Pearl Harbor and relax. Pretty simple really.

I've only been to Maui but it was incredible.

- Snorkeling. See tons of fish and sea turtles come right up to you(can't touch them though). Your kids might want to do that every day. Go out on a boat at least once for snorkeling(Molokini). Rent equipment the rest of the week. They can tell you good spots. Whale tours if there during the season.

- Hiking. Most of it is on the road to Hana. Seven Pools and waterfall through the bamboo forest are musts IMO.

- Biking. Specifically biking down Mt. Haleakala.

Plenty to do to fill up a week but might want to see some sights on Oahu for a day or two.

Agree, except for the biking...that trek isn't for an 11 and 12 yr old.

Maui has some cool pineapple farms and the aquarium is excellent.

The family style resorts will generally have specific activities and such designed for kids/families.

Just an FYI, Southwest is now or shortly going to have flights to Hawaii. This is expected to push the flight cost down somewhat.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
All depends on what you plan on doing. I do not recommend doing more than 1 island. You waste too much time in airports, just pick a horse and go all in.

We went a few years ago, split between Honolulu and Maui. Rented a car on Maui and done a lot of sight seeing. Everything is great, make sure you do Pearl Harbor and a luau, we did two.

But, unless you've just never been out of the city and love nature, don't waste a day doing the road to Hana. Very over rated IMHO, of course I live in the sticks.

Wife and I went a few years back and went to Oahu. Areas of the island are so different that I think staying on 1 island for a week and switching locations midway through is a great option if you only have a week. We stayed over at Lanikai beach the first 3 days then went over to Turtle Bay by the North Shore the rest of the trip. We also rented a Jeep Wrangler, which was fun to cruise around the island on a couple of days and explore. Have fun!

Took my family there this past summer, 12 and 13 year old daughters. We stayed on Oahu at Disney Aulani, nice place for kids a little out of the way from everything. We went to the Dole plantation, Pearl Harbor,Punch Bowl, North Shore,snorkeled at some place close to diamond head, Wailea water fall I think was the name of it, zip lined, and hiked Diamond head.

The traffic was the only thing I didn't care for, it was awful at times, but Honolulu is a major city. Felt a little rushed at times trying to see everything, but the kids had a blast so it was worth it.

We went back in 2008. Went to Maui for 5 days, the Big Island for 4.

I'm a massive nature/science nerd, so we went to the Big Island when Kilauea was erupting. We stood 100 yards from an active lava ocean entry, and walked up to a lava flow less than 5 feet in front of us. The heat was intense. Super humbling.

Reactions: jameslee32
ADVERTISEMENT