ADVERTISEMENT

Has there ever been a worse franchise in the NFL than the Bengals?

Yeah, all the winning he did sure did suck...

Marvin Lewis was 131-122 and doing it for the worst owner in football. Had 4 straight double win seasons followed by the three you reference. I guess the guy never got the benefit of the doubt from the "fans".

Shitty Cincy fans get what they deserve...

He went 0-7 in the playoffs. In what other place does a coach last that long?

I love Marvin Lewis, but he should've been fired after the collapse in the playoff game a few years ago when undisciplined penalties gave the Steelers a win. "Undisciplined" players and the worst clock management I have ever seen were ML's big weaknesses.

I barely even watch NFL games and I'm still pissed about that game. They had that game in the bag and just blew it

Reactions: chroix
I find it funny that you think someone else is going to come in and do better....good luck with that.
Die hard fans want to contend and have hope they can go farther in the playoffs and give them at least a chance for a title. Race be damned, if you are winning the big one or are making a solid effort regardless of color people want you there.

I find it funny that you think someone else is going to come in and do better....good luck with that.

So the solution is to stay with status quo of 0 (that's a ZERO in case you misread it as some other non-ZERO number that would indicate some playoff success has been had in the last 25 years, which just happens to include ALL of Marvin's tenure) playoff wins? That's not the way things work anymore. If you can't produce in the playoffs, you usually don't stick around very long. Mike Brown is a TERRIBLE owner. I don't think anyone would argue against that (maybe his family). However, Marvin probably actually benefited from it. A lot of teams would have moved on from him before he got to the 5 year stretch he had with 10+ wins.

Was this Taylor guy the right pick? More than likely no, but he's only 4 games in with arguably the worst team in the league. But treading water with Lewis wasn't working, either. He did just enough to keep his job with his 10+ win season that 100% of the time resulted in flame outs in the game 1 of the playoffs. Marvin's teams weren't usually mistaken for a very disciplined team, either.

After 16 years it was time. Color had NOTHING to do with it.

Takes an astonishing level of stupidity to play the race card on a UK message board when talking about firing an underperforming complacent coach who happens to be black.
I'll take it a step further: the only reason Lewis lasted as long as he did was BECAUSE he was black in Cincinnati.

His record demanded he be fired: but, due to the pandering of politicians in Cincy to the black community (the useless Freedom Center Museum, the failing Streetcar, etc) I'm guessing Brown was scared shiteless to fire a black head coach.

I'll take it a step further: the only reason Lewis lasted as long as he did was BECAUSE he was black in Cincinnati.

His record demanded he be fired: but, due to the pandering of politicians in Cincy to the black community (the useless Freedom Center Museum, the failing Streetcar, etc) I'm guessing Brown was scared shiteless to fire a black head coach.

OK, now you are being an idiot on the other side.

Cincinnati politicians had zero to do with Lewis not getting fired. That is stupid to even suggest. You think Mike Brown gives a shit what politicians say? He kept Marvin because he liked him and e did just good enough to not get fired. Especially after all of the miserable seasons under Shula, Cosset and LeBeau the preceded Marvin.

I always just presumed it had more to do with money than giving a shit about winning. It’s not like the Brown family made billions elsewhere and bought a team as a hobby.

Does spending money and winning really make you that much more money as an owner to justify the investment?

OK, now you are being an idiot on the other side.

Cincinnati politicians had zero to do with Lewis not getting fired. That is stupid to even suggest. You think Mike Brown gives a shit what politicians say? He kept Marvin because he liked him and e did just good enough to not get fired. Especially after all of the miserable seasons under Shula, Cosset and LeBeau the preceded Marvin.
I'm guessing you don't live here in Cincy or have any insight into the stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

If you think Mike Brown isn't ACUTELY aware of the backlash of firing a BLACK head coach, in Cincinnati, then you're naive or uninformed.

He's no doubt aware of the political climate of this city... and has seen (for decades) the pandering to the black community.

Thank you for helping me prove my point...Happy Friday.

Leave race out of it and my point still stands...you had one person who could overcome the terribleness of the owner...and that still wasn't enough for the fans.
Marvin was an average coach. He accomplished virtually nothing in his tenure. He had a few AFC North titles and those were fun years, but he never did anything in the playoffs. That’s why fans started losing support for him.

Reactions: warrior-cat
They suck. Plain and simple. I hope people stop going to the games. Mike brown is the worst owner in football. His dad would sell off everything to win a game, Mikey will cut guys like whitworth to sign Bobby hart. What a damn joke. Personally I hope we go 0-16 and it costs Mikey big time. The losing is getting old. I don’t even get mad anymore because I expect it. He will never hire a gm or pay an offensive lineman. I don’t think he understands that he can’t take his money with him when he dies.

I'm guessing you don't live here in Cincy or have any insight into the stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

If you think Mike Brown isn't ACUTELY aware of the backlash of firing a BLACK head coach, in Cincinnati, then you're naive or uninformed.

He's no doubt aware of the political climate of this city... and has seen (for decades) the pandering to the black community.

I have lived in Cincy and currently live right up the road in Loveland. There was literally ZERO backlash when Lewis was fired. There also wasn't any backlash when the Reds fired Dusty Baker.

Some people on both sides appear to be looking for race issues when there aren't any here.

Last edited:
I have lived in Cincy and currently live right up the road in Loveland. There was literally ZERO backlash when Lewis was fired. There also wasn't any backlash when the Reds fired Dusty Baker.

Some people on both sides appear to be looking for race issues when there aren't any here.
False.

There wasnt any backlash on Lewis because Brown waited 16 years; firing him earlier would have been a shitestorm.

Don't know what cave you're in up in 45140 but there were plenty of racism accusations floating around: many from Dusty himself.

And for the record, the only racism I brought up is Mike Brown being afraid to fire Lewis earlier due to racism accusations given the climate of the city. Everything else you brought into the conservation.

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned--- Most of the Bengals fans that I know, want Andy Dalton out of here, for the same reasons they wanted Marvin out of here: Can't win the prime time/big games. Poor decisions during games. Can't beat pitts. Can't get over the playoff hump. Been here long enough, without meeting expectations. Etc.

He's a white guy, btw.

Last edited:
Yeah, all the winning he did sure did suck...

Marvin Lewis was 131-122 and doing it for the worst owner in football. Had 4 straight double win seasons followed by the three you reference. I guess the guy never got the benefit of the doubt from the "fans".

Shitty Cincy fans get what they deserve...
I'm not even a Bengals fan but anyone could see that Lewis was average at best. And average may be stretching it. Lewis was there for over 2 decades and not a single playoff win. What kind of fool would say that is a good coach?

False.

There wasnt any backlash on Lewis because Brown waited 16 years; firing him earlier would have been a shitestorm.

Don't know what cave you're in up in 45140 but there were plenty of racism accusations floating around: many from Dusty himself.

And for the record, the only racism I brought up is Mike Brown being afraid to fire Lewis earlier due to racism accusations given the climate of the city. Everything else you brought into the conservation.
The only places I’ve ever heard race brought up with Marvin as a topic are when Stephen s Smith would go on his rants and then this board when someone accuses the Bengals fans of disliking Marvin because he’s black. That’s it. I lived in Cincinnati for 25 years. Lived there when Marvin was let go. I never heard race brought up once about Marvin in Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Guess nobody watches the washington redskins. Owner is the biggest joke in all of sports

Looks like a three-way tie btw the Bengals, Redskins, and Jets for worst in the NFL this year. Over the last 20 years probably a tie btw the Bengals and Browns.

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned--- Most of the Bengals fans that I know, want Andy Dalton out of here, for the same reasons they wanted Marvin out of here: Can't win the prime time/big games. Poor decisions during games. Can't beat pitts. Can't get over the playoff hump. Been here long enough, without meeting expectations. Etc.

He's a white guy, btw.
I have wanted Dalton gone for a while now.

It was time to move away from Marvin as coach. Obviously 2019 is a step backward. With 2 Super Bowl appearances.. the Bengals are not the worst franchise .. just bottom quartile. Brown did have a string of playoff appearances albeit with no luck advancing further. The franchise with Ken Anderson as QB did a nice job getting competitive in the 70s as an expansion team. Compare that to Tampa Bay. It was the Mike Brown 90s that were so bad. Reds Big Red Machine of the 70s were the team of that decade.. says a Cincy guy. As a kid in the 70s we had reversible kids jackets orange for Bengals on one side and Red on the other.. Those days are long gone..

Reactions: ukalum1988

He's a white guy, btw.

You're using logic won't fit the narrative of some.

How da Bengals doing? At least you all won't have to worry about losing a playoff game this year or for many more years at this rate...

Marvin would have been good enough for 6-10 or 7-9 this year, which is the absolute WORST place to be in the NFL.

I'm assuming Taylor isn't the answer, but you have to fully bottom out to build yourself back up.

The issue with the Bengals is they're trying to win this year, they are just that bad at it. Trade everyone and so a full fledged reboot.

Firing Marvin Lewis was a mistake. They were always going to have a few down seasons as they retooled, but he could have drafted them back into a contender again. They also had a chance at respectable assistants with him. Now they are back on the 2 year coaching carousel because they wont draft well and the coach won't win. Fans are stupid when it comes to setting expectations. Marvin Lewis exceeded expectations by a long shot, but people constantly complained. Yeah he's not Belichik, but no one else is either.

Firing Marvin Lewis was a mistake. They were always going to have a few down seasons as they retooled, but he could have drafted them back into a contender again. They also had a chance at respectable assistants with him. Now they are back on the 2 year coaching carousel because they wont draft well and the coach won't win. Fans are stupid when it comes to setting expectations. Marvin Lewis exceeded expectations by a long shot, but people constantly complained. Yeah he's not Belichik, but no one else is either.
Marvin also drafted them into the predicament they're in. 16 years and no postseason success to show for it. That's not getting it done.

It seems like the Bengals have been doomed ever since Montana threw that last minute pass in the 1989 SB. Have they ever been back since? As I recall the Reds won the WS about a year and a half later, and haven’t either. It’s tough being a small market team especially with bad management.

Well, if there's anytime to suck as a franchise, the last 20 years are the best time to do it. You're not likely to beat the Pats, and certainly not if they get away with half a dozen PI calls... Poor Giants tonight, a team that never had a chance to beat them.. literally.

Die hard fans want to contend and have hope they can go farther in the playoffs and give them at least a chance for a title. Race be damned, if you are winning the big one or are making a solid effort regardless of color people want you there.
IMO, racism in business rarely exists anymore. People have either progressed or greed is more prevalent. Imo, the latter. Bottom line is all that counts now.

It seems like the Bengals have been doomed ever since Montana threw that last minute pass in the 1989 SB. Have they ever been back since? As I recall the Reds won the WS about a year and a half later, and haven’t either. It’s tough being a small market team especially with bad management.
They've been doomed since they injured Bo.

We'll see, I bet the next 16 years are worse.
Maybe they will be. With Mike Brown, you never know how bad it can get. That doesn’t make Marvin Lewis’ tenure successful. A decade and a half with 0 playoff wins isn’t something to be celebrated.

If Stoops was going 5-7/6-6/7-5 every year after 16 seasons would you say “well, he’s better than Joker”?

Reactions: Cawood86
Maybe they will be. With Mike Brown, you never know how bad it can get. That doesn’t make Marvin Lewis’ tenure successful. A decade and a half with 0 playoff wins isn’t something to be celebrated.

If Stoops was going 5-7/6-6/7-5 every year after 16 seasons would you say “well, he’s better than Joker”?

Honestly that's about what I expect a good coach to do at UK. They might have a year like we did last year once every 7-10 years and hover around .500 the rest of the time. The main problem the Bengals had was a mediocre QB, but you can't just draft QB's over and over because you miss out on filling out your roster especially in Cincy where you have no shot at good free agents.

I'm not a Bengals fan , I think Mike Brown is a terrible owner, but there is no historical precedent in NFL coaching for someone to.last 16 years on a record of mediocrity. 0-7 in playoffs and four of those playoff games were at home. Marvin Lewis still has 8-10 years of career left but no one is knocking at his door. He had been given control of personnel decisions from 2014 on. Marty Schottenheimer was fired from four different franchises (incl. the Browns, the Chiefs, and the Chargers, all doormats of the NFL), won 62% of his games and 5-17 in the playoffs over the 21 seasons he coached. Don Coryell had 7 winning seasons out of nine in San Diego, is considered an offensive genius, two AFC championship game appearances and got fired. Regardless of whether it was Marvin Lewis 's fault or not, no one ever kept a head coaching job as long with fewer results to show for it.

ADVERTISEMENT