ADVERTISEMENT

Has there ever been a worse franchise in the NFL than the Bengals?

warrior-cat

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2004
I am sitting here with my Bengals gear hoping beyond hope when they do to me what they have done for years. It is time for the fans to stick it to the owners. Quit going to the games and buying Bengals gear until they do something to change the way the Bengals play the game.

It's as if you are there to pad the other teams record. Do they get paid to lose like some fighters. Uninspired football.

I am sitting here with my Bengals gear hoping beyond hope when they do to me what they have done for years. It is time for the fans to stick it to the owners. Quit going to the games and buying Bengals gear until they do something to change the way the Bengals play the game.
We drafted a 6th round tight end in the second round.
We gave Bobby fart 20 million and he was cut by the shitty giants
I have no idea what Webb our other big acquisition does
We have a left tackle that has been in concussion protocol for 7 weeks

you can’t make this shit up

we need to tank, the real challenge will be when we play Miami

The Saints didn't have a winning record or win at least 10 games until their 21st year in the league.

They have only won 10 games or more 12 times in their 53 year history.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Mike Brown is living the dream isn't he? He inherits a franchise built from the ground up by his Dad, takes over the franchise in their last Super Bowl year and just collects check after check from the NFL and the virtual extortion from Hamilton County of the stadium named after his Dad. When you talk about a business that reinvests into it's infrastructure the Cincinnati Bengals owned by Mike Brown is the furthest thing from your model.

Before the man dies I have zero doubt he will either sell to an out of town ownership group or move the franchise and die a billionaire.

Well, if you want to compare franchises, the Reds just had their 16th losing season in the last 19 years. We are now reduced to bragging because we "only" lost 87 games or so, and "only" finished 16 or 17 games back in the weakest division in baseball. On the rise!!!!

Cincinnati = Title Town baby!!!

I know very few Bengal fans who blamed Marvin in the big picture....even though it was best for him and the franchise if they would have parted ways 7-8 years before he did.

The problem is the owners chair, and until that changes (which will be when he passes away), the rest of the complaints about the team and franchise are moot. The culture is one of a losing culture. The fanbase is more and more apathetic. The attendance number for the next home game vs Arizona is gonna be interesting, because it going to be sparsely attended. If they had any kind of football savvy in the organization (which they dont), they would move anyone decent and load up on draft choices over the next two to three years. Trade AJ Green, Dunlap, Atkins, Dalton if anyone needs a QB. TANK their butts off.

The Steelers are a 4 or 5 win team this year, but you can guarantee that two of those wins will come against the Bengals.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
At least the Bengals have been to two Super Bowls, and could have won both. The Browns and Lions have never made that game, and thus are worse.

But right now, this minute, only the Redskins can make the case that they are worse -- thanks to an ex-Bengal coach.
Browns and Lions have ancient history, but...

I'm a Raiders fan. It's not the 60s, 70s, or 80s any longer. Other than a blip in the early 2000s they've been awful.

The Redskins, Dolphins, and Raiders were once the proudest of NFL franchises.

Reactions: jameslee32
Well, if you want to compare franchises, the Reds just had their 16th losing season in the last 19 years. We are now reduced to bragging because we "only" lost 87 games or so, and "only" finished 16 or 17 games back in the weakest division in baseball. On the rise!!!!

Cincinnati = Title Town baby!!!

Meddlesome owners and crappy front offices have led to those inept franchises. And people wonder why the younger sports fan in Cincinnati is gravitating over to the MLS expansion FCC. They sucked this year, but at least its a fresh start for something.

Winning % - The Bengals are 25th. Better than the Saints, Jets, Texans, Jags, Falcons, Cards and Bucs.

Post Season Winning % - The Bengals are the worst.

Last Post Season Appearance - 2015, tied with Cards, Broncos, Redskins and better than 49ers, Jets, Bucs, Browns

0 Super Bowl Championships tied with several other teams

2 Super Bowl appearances - tied with Panthers, Chiefs, Falcons, Ravens, Bears. Better than (1 appearance) Saints, Cards, Titans/Oilers, Bucs, Chargers, Jets and (0 appearances) Lions, Texans, Browns and Jags

I would rank them ahead of the Browns, Jets and Lions. And similar to the Saints, Cardinals, Buccaneers.

But Mike Brown is the worst owner in history and anything they have won since he has been in charge is in spite of him and not because of him.

They lost me as a fan when they gave up the 50 yards or whatever abomination it was in penalties against the Steelers in their final drive in the playoffs to completely choke it away.

Brown is the problem and has always been the problem.

Lewis got on my nerves in the last 3 years but he did build a really good team and roster from nothing. Made the Bengals respectable, won division titles, and made the playoffs.

He failed in big games. Was horrible at clock management and at making adjustments.

I dont think it will ever change as long as Brown's involved. I'm hoping his kids either really want to win and make that a priority or that they will sell the team to someone who will.

Bengals are awful. Good thing I married into a Dolphins family- so I have a second team! :flushed:

Reactions: bigdaddy741
:flush::bomb:From Wikipedia:

“...Brown assumed ownership responsibilities upon his father's death in August 1991 and has remained in the ownership position since. His first significant move as owner was to fire popular coach Sam Wyche after the 1991 season (although he originally claimed that Wyche resigned).[7] Days later, Brown hired Dave Shula to be head coach,...”

-
-
-

“Since Brown became owner, the team has had 7 winning seasons out of 27 and has a winning percentage of .414 (182-255-2) in the regular season and .000 (0-7) in the playoffs.[24]

:flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush::flush:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_(American_football_executive)

Lewis got on my nerves in the last 3 years...

Yeah, all the winning he did sure did suck...

Marvin Lewis was 131-122 and doing it for the worst owner in football. Had 4 straight double win seasons followed by the three you reference. I guess the guy never got the benefit of the doubt from the "fans".

Shitty Cincy fans get what they deserve...

Marvin Lewis was 131-122 and doing it for the worst owner in football. Had 4 straight double win seasons followed by the three you reference. I guess the guy never got the benefit of the doubt from the "fans".

"All the winning?" In sixteen seasons:

131-122-3. That's a .518 winning percentage, good for 89th all-time. And 40% (52) of those wins came in five seasons, 2011 to 2015.

Seven winning seasons overall.

8-21 in prime time.

8-26 vs. the Steelers, with a grand total of two home wins. Two. It's not even really a rivalry any more.

And his zero playoff wins in sixteen seasons with one team is just astounding. No NFL coach will ever top that record.

He's not a terrible coach, but he should've been given the boot after '08, after going 46-49 in six seasons. He might've fared better elsewhere. But unfortunately for everyone, the worst owner in football wouldn't make the change. :/

Reactions: chroix
please...you all are whining about how terrible ownership is. I think we all agree. It's terrible. However, you had a coach who was able to rise about this terrible individual. And was essentially forced out. Replaced with a 36 year old kid that is clearly in over his head. Sitting 0-4 and not looking good for the foreseeable future.

Y'all get what you deserve....

please...you all are whining about how terrible ownership is. I think we all agree. It's terrible. However, you had a coach who was able to rise about this terrible individual. And was essentially forced out. Replaced with a 36 year old kid that is clearly in over his head. Sitting 0-4 and not looking good for the foreseeable future.

Bullshit, AlbanyWildCat. 100% bullshit.

I love Marvin Lewis, but he should've been fired after the collapse in the playoff game a few years ago when undisciplined penalties gave the Steelers a win. "Undisciplined" players and the worst clock management I have ever seen were ML's big weaknesses.

0 playoff wins in 16 years. 0. And you are implying that he was fired because he was black? Y'all can GTFO with that nonsense.

They should erect a statue of Marvin in front of Paul Brown Stadium for what he did do for the franchise over the years, but it was beyond time for him to go.

Bullshit, AlbanyWildCat. 100% bullshit.

I love Marvin Lewis, but he should've been fired after the collapse in the playoff game a few years ago when undisciplined penalties gave the Steelers a win. "Undisciplined" players and the worst clock management I have ever seen were ML's big weaknesses.

0 playoff wins in 16 years. 0. And you are implying that he was fired because he was black? Y'all can GTFO with that nonsense.

They should erect a statue of Marvin in front of Paul Brown Stadium for what he did do for the franchise over the years, but it was beyond time for him to go.

Leave race out of it and my point still stands...you had one person who could overcome the terribleness of the owner...and that still wasn't enough for the fans.

Hopefully, when all is said and done, there’s no music venue at the Banks, the County refuses a new bullshit lease and the Bengals move to another city.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Leave race out of it and my point still stands...you had one person who could overcome the terribleness of the owner...and that still wasn't enough for the fans.

0 postseason wins in 16 years was not enough for the fans. Correct.

Brown owns the team. Unfortunately, he isn't leaving.

Brown + Lewis = 0 postseason wins in 16 years. I think 16 years is more than a fair length of time. Do you honestly think he should've been given given more?

Time to try Brown + somebody else.

I don't see any other NFL teams beating down Lewis' door to be their next coach. Do you?

Y'all. I didnt fire him slim, and the team was declining the last 3 years badly.
I dont know what Taylor can do. He has lost 4 starters on offense and was dealt the worst o-line in the NFL.
All you want to cry is racism, which is usual for those who have no answers or solutions. Go play with your toys. Maybe mommy will have you lunch ready soon.

Last edited:

Brown + Lewis = 0 postseason wins in 16 years. I think 16 years is more than a fair length of time. Do you honestly think he should've been given given more?

I don't see any other NFL teams beating down Lewis' door to be their next coach. Do you?
Exactly. Just lazy and pathetic to cry racism.

He was 0-7 in the postseason. Some Bengals fans would like to achieve more. Others are content to be like UK football fans who get excited over making a mid-level bowl game.

Name me any other decent NFL franchise who would keep a coach for 16 years with a .500 record and postseason winning percentage of .000.

This isn’t the fans fault and it damn sure has zero to do with race, although that’s apparently an angle some Lewis dihards are taking. I liked Marvin. Supported him for 13-14 years. He should’ve been fired after the debacle against the Steelers in the playoffs or after the 2016 season at the absolute latest.

I quite supporting the Bungles decades ago, when I arrived at the conclusion that they were really not 100% committed to winning like for instance the Steelers are. They've been historically bad but for some reason they have also had a lot of misfortune along the way as well.

I no longer pull for any specific team, rather I pull for teams that have really good defenses and play with a lot of passion. Right now the Bear and Cowboys stand out. Saints, Seahawks and Rams are the other teams I really like to watch.

I find it funny that you think someone else is going to come in and do better....good luck with that.

He went 0-7 in the playoffs. In what other place does a coach last that long?

ADVERTISEMENT