ADVERTISEMENT

Has NIL killed Overtime Elite?

Still gives kids a chance to earn money without having to go to class, but the whole thing was based on the premise that you could make money right out of HS and that’s no longer a unique situation. It’s definitely hurt it and will probably kill it eventually.

G-League Ignite probably played a big role too. I think the best recruits who skip college will be choosing to play for the minor league team that the NBA created specifically for those types of players.

Still gives kids a chance to earn money without having to go to class, but the whole thing was based on the premise that you could make money right out of HS and that’s no longer a unique situation. It’s definitely hurt it and will probably kill it eventually.
How much does elite CBB players go to class?

Hopefully

And its time for ncaa to make rules that benefit .... college basketball.

Let players be eligible even if entering the draft.. don't like it nba? Well, work with the ncaa in rules that benefit Both..
Yeah, that will work until the NBA decides to sign a player that had entered the draft but returned to college and leaves right before March Madness.

I think it has. They struggled to get top guys to begin with and now the top guys will earn more going to elite programs. I think this experiment will be over in a couple years.
NIL is hurting them and also G League Ignite.

Plus, most of the guys who are opting for the G-league options are losing stock.

Kumgina lost stock.
Isaiah Todd lost stock.
Jaden Hardy plummeted from top 5 to the 37th pick.

The only guys who held serve were Green and Daniels, and it's doubtful they would have hurt themselves by going to college for a year.

NIL is hurting them and also G League Ignite.

Plus, most of the guys who are opting for the G-league options are losing stock.

Kumgina lost stock.
Isaiah Todd lost stock.
Jaden Hardy plummeted from top 5 to the 37th pick.

The only guys who held serve were Green and Daniels, and it's doubtful they would have hurt themselves by going to college for a year.
Green I think would of slightly hurt himself because his J wasn't ready. Kuminga went lotto, I think he was fine. Todd I think is who he is and wouldn't of been much different in college. Now hardy, I think he would of improved his stock.

Green I think would of slightly hurt himself because his J wasn't ready. Kuminga went lotto, I think he was fine. Todd I think is who he is and wouldn't of been much different in college. Now hardy, I think he would of improved his stock.
Kuminga went from projected 1 or 2 to #7. That's a stock drop.

How would Green have hurt himself by playing for Coach K or Cal as opposed to some 2nd tier G-League coach?

Todd could have been a top 20 pick if he picked the right college.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Kuminga went from projected 1 or 2 to #7. That's a stock drop.

How would Green have hurt himself by playing for Coach K or Cal as opposed to some 2nd tier G-League coach?

Todd could have been a top 20 pick if he picked the right college.
Kuminga wasn't a predicted top 5 pick. They had huge questions on what his position was. Green benefited from college spacing and a lot of being on the ball. Todd was just a 4 that only wanted to shoot 3s and not well. He's remained that kind of player because it's just a DNA thing, he doesn't like a physical game.

G-League Ignite probably played a big role too. I think the best recruits who skip college will be choosing to play for the minor league team that the NBA created specifically for those types of players.
They didn’t create a minor league. It’s the G League and they have a team they play on that plays those teams.

Except at North Carolina, the diploma is in the mail.
Actually, I have it on good authority their diploma is on the back side of their national letter of intent. So they sign the NLI, fax it in to Chapel Hill, and then they turn it over and frame their diploma months before they ever set foot on campus.

I think it has. They struggled to get top guys to begin with and now the top guys will earn more going to elite programs. I think this experiment will be over in a couple years.
Whether Overtime’s business succeeds is still an open question, but it seems to me that NIL is probably a bigger problem for the G-League program than it is for Overtime.

You could also argue that NIL might be a positive development for Overtime by reducing their costs. Overtime recently signed Naasir Cunningham (#1 player in 2024), but he has decided to decline Overtime’s salary so that he can maintain his NCAA eligibility.

Cunningham will play two years at Overtime before deciding if he wants to enroll in college. By keeping his options open for college, it’s probably going to save Overtime at least $1.5M in total salary they otherwise would have needed to pay Cunningham over the course of those two years.

Overtime will still get the benefit of having Cunningham in their program and helping to create the social media content they need to generate revenue, which is why Overtime wants him in the first place. But more importantly, Overtime gets Cunningham for two years at a significantly lower cost thanks in part to the potential for higher NIL earnings while in he’s in college.

Whether Overtime succeeds or fails will come down to whether they have enough cash to maintain operations long enough to prove out their business model. And I think the bigger question about Overtime’s business model is on the revenue side. We know Overtime can generate a massive social media following with high levels of engagement, but will they be able to convert that social media following into as much revenue (from social media ads, sponsorships, etc.) as their investors project?

So far, Overtime has successfully signed multi-year, multi-million dollar sponsorship deals with Gatorade, Meta and State Farm. But we also don’t know how much cash Overtime is currently burning through nor do we know how much of Overtime’s expenses are covered by what they’re earning from those sponsorships and their other revenue streams (e.g., social media ads).

I’m not sure that NIL drastically alters that either way, but if anything, it potentially helps buy them some time to turn a profit by reducing how much they need to spend on players’ salaries. I also imagine that the ability for someone to join Overtime Elite without needing to forego their NCAA eligibility might make it a more attractive route for elite prospects by de-risking it to some degree. But again, I’m not sure the extent to which any positive effects from NIL would change things meaningfully on the revenue side, which to me still seems like the bigger open question for Overtime. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
ADVERTISEMENT