ADVERTISEMENT

Has it been 10 years already?

dcw62

Sophomore
Oct 4, 2005
Lexington,Ky
I'm not being negative, just reflecting a bit. It's hard to believe it's been a decade already since the last National Championship. That team was so fun to watch and so dominant in alot of ways. They were boys among men and they didn't play like freshman and I can honestly say except for Cal's 38-1 team, I really haven't seen anything close to that team in his teams since and not sure we'll see another team like that in his tenure. I've probably watched those You Tube video's during that NCAA Run a dozen times. I know alot of people like the UL win but mine is the revenge game against IU...Anyway let's hope Cal does alot of soul searching this off season...at this point that's all we have is hope...Carry on!

Last edited:
I'm not being negative, just reflecting a bit. It's hard to believe it's been a decade already since the last National Championship. That team was so fun to watch and so dominant in alot of ways. They were boys among men and they didn't play like freshman and I can honestly say except for Cal's 38-1 team, I really haven't seen anything close to that team in his teams since and not sure we'll see another team like that in his tenure. I've probably watched those You Tube video's during that NCAA Run a dozen times. I know alot of people like the UL win but mine is the revenge game against IU...Anyway let's hope Cal does alot of soul searching this off season...at this point that's all we have is hope....Anyway Carry on
But your not being negative. Got it.

Reactions: CalCat57 and VA/UK
Duke cloned that 2012 team several times in theory. NCAA allowed them to tie. And said nope, not ever again. Zero freshman laden teams have won nothing since. Look at all the talent wasted! The shit is rigged! It's so obvious it's pathetic. I cherish 2012, as everyone else should. Cal ain't doing shit, until his team represents no one and done. !

Basketball is all about cause and represent ever since scandals have broke. Got to damage control! And one and done is damaging to collegiate sports! Ironic isn't it, as we watch em go out in flames. Represent collegiate enrollment. Is upmost agenda. Represent, represent, represent. It's all over the face of everything. Wonder what that is. Lol

I'm not being negative, just reflecting a bit. It's hard to believe it's been a decade already since the last National Championship. That team was so fun to watch and so dominant in alot of ways. They were boys among men and they didn't play like freshman and I can honestly say except for Cal's 38-1 team, I really haven't seen anything close to that team in his teams since and not sure we'll see another team like that in his tenure. I've probably watched those You Tube video's during that NCAA Run a dozen times. I know alot of people like the UL win but mine is the revenge game against IU...Anyway let's hope Cal does alot of soul searching this off season...at this point that's all we have is hope...Carry on!
Saw that revenge game in person in Atlanta. It was awesome.

Just go away. OP gave a reasonable take on how long it’s been since we reached the pinnacle and your response is the definition of trash.
He could always respond himself. I’m sure he doesn’t need you fighting his battles

Wasn't as long as 98 to 2012 or 78 to 96 or 58 to 78. UK fans have had a lot of waiting to do between titles the past 65 years or so. 96 to 98 spoiled some people but those runs are rare.

Reactions: stuway and VA/UK
UNC has been to 3 title games since 2015. Lets not blow smoke up people's ass here.

That is in 7 years.

The last team to go to 3 straight title games...pretty sure it was UK and before that was Duke ('90-'92), then UCLA under Wooden and Ohio State before that....not sure if anyone else.

Rupp never even achieved that to best of my knowledge.

That was one of the top 3 year runs in the history of CBB tbh.... definitely in modern CBB.

3 title games
2 titles
104-11 over 3 years (with a hurt superstar in '97)

Last thing I'd say is I 100% agree it spoiled a certain age group (me). My expectations didn't meet the reality of the sport. That run was historic and between my 16-18 years of age.

That is in 7 years.

The last team to go to 3 straight title games...pretty sure it was UK and before that was Duke ('90-'92), then UCLA under Wooden and Ohio State before that....not sure if anyone else.

That was one of the top 3 year runs in the history of CBB tbh.... definitely in modern CBB.

3 title games
2 titles

Last thing I'd say is I 100% agree it spoiled a certain age group (me). My expectations didn't meet the reality of the sport. That run was historic and between my 16-18 years of age.

This. And my post was its rare specifically to UK post the glory years of 48 to 58. Think if you were a young guy then. 4 titles in a decade and then 4 next soon to be 65 years.

This. And my post was its rare specifically to UK post the glory years of 48 to 58. Think if you were a young guy then. 4 titles in a decade and then 4 next soon to be 65 years.

Yeah, that would be absolutely bizarre for folks who are in their late 70's or early 80's now.

Last part that makes '96-'98 run so amazing is it was with 2 head coaches. That is crazy.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That is in 7 years.

3 title games
2 titles

confused-disgusted.gif

Might be true, but we’re on a serious final four drought, have lost the all time wins, went 9-16, and have a slew of horrible losses including a blowout to Duke, struggle to beat UT, and losses to teams like Richmond and Evansville in Rupp. My son is 8 and doesn’t know what a tournament win is, and we just lost an assistant to Duke.

Kentucky is in a bad spot, definitely the worst in my memory and I’m 36. There’s no excuse whatsoever in this nonsense and one thing is sure, what I wrote above is grounds for automatic firing. If that contract hasn’t been given Calipari 100% would have been fired by now. I can’t believe anyone is even on the fence with the guy, he’s been terrible and this is UK. There’s no two ways about it.

That’s not even getting into the Sharpe fiasco AFTER all of that.

So yea it might be hard to go to 3 title games in 7 years, but that doesn’t really mean anything for us. And with Kansas winning a title last year, UNC in 3 title games in 7 years, Duke with a title and another final four during that time, Calipari has been downright pathetic as coach of Kentucky. Not okay, not under par, not bad, absolutely pathetic. And his mouth won’t hide that reality.

He’s got a few years left to salvage something, but it will take a championship and nothing less. Right now he’s had the biggest fall from grace I’ve seen in coaching (strictly from a winner to loser perspective), and he’s as of now the biggest underachiever the game has probably seen.

We need a massive turnaround in a massive way. And MDWildcats55 couldn’t spin that if Jesus himself gave him the vocabulary to do so.

We make so many excuses it’s nauseating. This guy better win and win fast. Because any more of this nonsense, to steal a quote from the Mighty Ducks movie, NOBODY makes the team next year. We went from “it’s not worth winning if you can’t win big” to “please win a f’n tournament game”.

I don’t know how any UK fan can even look at the guy right now. He turns my stomach I just don’t get it.

I don’t know if that’s a rant or not but your post made me think about it. Hell I ordered a happy meal for my son today and thought about it. The worst part to me is we have fans so friggin brainstunted by his Cuck swagger they don’t even realize any of this.

“iF hE dOeSnT gEt tO aN eLitE 8 nExT yEaR iM gOnNa!!!!!!!

Gonna what? Give him 2 more? Elite 8? I read these comments and just have to wonder and actually I’ll stop there because I’ll get banned.

It’s absolutely absurd. It’s an abomination and stain on this program to think we even have a small minority saying this bullsht. Win a title, maintain our prestige, or get the f out now. That’s how this is supposed to work.

Last edited:
confused-disgusted.gif

Might be true, but we’re on a serious final four drought, have lost the all time wins, went 9-16, and have a slew of horrible losses including a blowout to Duke, struggle to beat UT, and losses to teams like Richmond and Evansville in Rupp. My son is 8 and doesn’t know what a tournament win is, and we just lost an assistant to Duke.

Kentucky is in a bad spot, definitely the worst in my memory and I’m 36. There’s no excuse whatsoever in this nonsense and one thing is sure, what I wrote above is grounds for automatic firing. If that contract hasn’t been given Calipari 100% would have been fired by now. I can’t believe anyone is even on the fence with the guy, he’s been terrible and this is UK. There’s no two ways about it.

So yea it might be hard to go to 3 title games in 7 years, but that doesn’t really mean anything for us. And with Kansas winning a title last year, UNC in 3 title games in 7 years, Duke with a title and another final four during that time, Calipari has been downright pathetic as coach of Kentucky. Not okay, not under par, not bad, absolutely pathetic. And his mouth won’t hide that reality.

He’s got a few years left to salvage something, but it will take a championship and nothing less. Right now he’s had the biggest fall from grace I’ve seen in coaching (strictly from a winner to loser perspective), and he’s as of now the biggest underachiever the game has probably seen.

We need a massive turnaround in a massive way. And MDWildcats55 couldn’t spin that if Jesus himself gave him the vocabulary to do so.

We make so many excuses it’s nauseating. This guy better win and win fast. Because any more of this nonsense, to steal a quote from the Mighty Ducks movie, NOBODY makes the team next year. We went from “it’s not worth winning if you can’t win big” to “please win a f’n tournament game”.

I don’t know how any UK fan can even look at the guy right now. He turns my stomach I just don’t get it.

I don’t know if that’s a rant or not but your post made me think about it. Hell I ordered a happy meal for my son today and thought about it. The worst part to me is we have fans so friggin brainstunted by his Cuck swagger they don’t even realize any of this.

Gonna what? Give him 2 more? Elite 8? I read these comments and just have to wonder and actually I’ll stop there because I’ll get banned.

It’s absolutely absurd. It’s an abomination and stain on this program to think we even have a small minority saying this bullsht. Win a title, maintain our prestige, or get the f out now. That’s how this is supposed to work.

I have no idea what any of that has to do with what I typed 😉😜

My point is for a generation of "us" you cannot help but to have been spoiled by the '90's. The first 8 years of me being a legit watch every game fan from age 11-18....

EE, FF, 32, EE, NC, FF, NC, EE

My expectations didn't match reality even across our program history.

So hopefully that is what your son will get.

Regarding everything else you typed....I just want to win. Cal is the coach and recruiting is on an uptick....we will have to see what happens. He has a chance to rebound big over the next couple years and yeah he needs another title to change the narrative of his time here.

Last edited:
I have no idea what any of that has to do with what I typed 😉😜

My point is for a generation of "us" you cannot help but to have been spoiled by the '90's. The first 8 years of me being a legit watch every game fan from age 11-18....

EE, FF, 32, EE, NC, FF, NC, EE

My expectations didn't match reality even across our program history.

So hopefully that is what your son will get.

Regarding everything else you typed....I just want to win. Cal is the coach and recruiting is on an uptick....we will have to see what happens. He has a chance to rebound big over the next couple years and yeah he needs another title to change the narrative of his time here.

I feel is my main point and I guess I’m just tired of thinking about how far our expectations have fallen because this is what Calipari does.

We both grew up in the 90’s and I get it but that doesn’t mean we’re spoiled. It means we know what to expect from this program. Our fathers know what to expect and our grandfathers know what to expect. The only people who won’t know what to expect are our kids who don’t know what an NCAA tournament win is and certainly don’t know what championships are. They expect to lose to Tennessee, Duke, and hope for something called an elite 8 because the idea of making one means Calipari keeps his job. It’s absurd.

We are not going to remain the top program with this shit happening. We need to stop looking at it as spoiled and look at it for what it is. The expectations of being the best.

As a huge cardinals fan I never heard my grandfather say he was just spoiled from the 40’s 50’s and 60’s. He just knew what to expect because of it.

You’ve been beaten down with Calisms and it’s understandable. That’s why we’re all here to get help when Calipari’s ways have settled in and began to lower the quality of what you expect.

You are not spoiled, you’re just losing sight of what you are supposed to expect and demand of this program because the head coach doesn’t do his job and we’ve all been led to believe nothing is Calipari’s fault.

I’m not joking when I say I want to get some of our fans and go through the Cool Runnings speech in the mirror. For those that don’t know

Last edited:
It seems longer than 10 years .Not a knock just an observation. A lot of water has gone under the UK bridge since then. I think the revolving door of players that have come and gone since then make it seem longer than it has been.

Think of the changes we have seen in that time frame, platoon basketball, mysterious lingering injuries, the rise and fall of roofaree, the marriage of basketball and politics, grad transfers ,college free agency and players who come and don't play. Where do we go from here. Cal is the undisputed king of making UK basketball about things other than what happens in a 40 minute game on the court

I feel is my main point and I guess I’m just tired of thinking about how far our expectations have fallen because this is what Calipari does.

We both grew up in the 90’s and I get it but that doesn’t mean we’re spoiled. It means we know what to expect from this program. Our fathers know what to expect and our grandfathers know what to expect. The only people who won’t know what to expect are our kids who don’t know what an NCAA tournament win is and certainly don’t know what championships are. They expect to lose to Tennessee, Duke, and hope for something called an elite 8 because the idea of making one means Calipari keeps his job. It’s absurd.

We are not going to remain the top program with this shit happening. We need to stop looking at it as spoiled and look at it for what it is. The expectations of being the best.

As a huge cardinals fan I never heard my grandfather say he was just spoiled from the 40’s 50’s and 60’s. He just knew what to expect because of it.

You’ve been beaten down with Calisms and it’s understandable. That’s why we’re all here to get help when Calipari’s ways have settled in and began to lower the quality of what you expect.

You are not spoiled, you’re just losing sight of what you are supposed to expect and demand of this program because the head coach doesn’t do his job and we’ve all been led to believe nothing is Calipari’s fault.

I’m not joking when I say I want to get some of our fans and go through the Cool Runnings speech in the mirror. For those that don’t know

What was the issue in the 2000s, 80s and 60s? It is not like we have not had decades without titles before and have had numerous longer title gaps since the glory years of 48-58 that I mentioned in this thread. I guess the argument is we had those gaps but multiple coaches and most of them won 1 title, so it is time to make a change to get the next guy in here to win his one title. I agree with that logic for sure.

Cal needs to go and I do not see him winning a 2nd title (2015 showed me he was not winning another as that team should have won with ease IMO), but we have had a lot of down years since 58. What has happened under Calipari is sadly nothing new here if you read up on all the bad seasons Joe B had, and Tubby's run once he had his own players at times, and not to mention the Sutton and G disasters. UK lets past their prime coaches hang on too long in Tubby & Cal's case, and has not consistently hired great coaches like a program like KU has the past 40+ years in Brown, Williams & Self. We need to make sure the next guy is a consistent winner or once he wins the title, move on after a few years...or history will repeat itself again.

Reactions: dl51344 and LmdCat
Ed why are you always putting people down. The OP was just stating facts.
Forget about why he is putting people down. The more pertinent question is why he is still here? He has no original ideas or thoughts. He spends most of his time attacking posters who don't agree with him. He is only here to antagonize other posters and to cause trouble. You should simply ignore him.

confused-disgusted.gif

Fans who expect better aren't spoiled; we just know the difference between great UK basketball and the recent crap that we have endured. Those who have never seen UK at its best think the crap that Cal has provided during the second half of his tenure as coach is great, Lol.

What was the issue in the 2000s, 80s and 60s? It is not like we have not had decades without titles before and have had numerous longer title gaps since the glory years of 48-58 that I mentioned in this thread. I guess the argument is we had those gaps but multiple coaches and most of them won 1 title, so it is time to make a change to get the next guy in here to win his one title. I agree with that logic for sure.

Cal needs to go and I do not see him winning a 2nd title (2015 showed me he was not winning another as that team should have won with ease IMO), but we have had a lot of down years since 58. What has happened under Calipari is sadly nothing new here if you read up on all the bad seasons Joe B had, and Tubby's run once he had his own players at times, and not to mention the Sutton and G disasters. UK lets past their prime coaches hang on too long in Tubby & Cal's case, and has not consistently hired great coaches like a program like KU has the past 40+ years in Brown, Williams & Self. We need to make sure the next guy is a consistent winner or once he wins the title, move on after a few years...or history will repeat itself again.

You can’t win a title every year and you’re going to have some low points, but we’ve never seen anything like what we’ve seen from Calipari at this point. Even during probation and coaching transitions we had a team willing to die for the university and played with pride. Then we rebounded to control the next decade.

We’ve never seen players sitting is out, getting the doors blown off us by rivals, not winning a single tournament game, losing the SEC in embarrassing fashion, home court losses to no names, a friggin 9 win season and on and on. I could literally continue. Calipari now gets excited to rub a win in the face of ALABAMA.

He has absolutely brought this program to lows we’ve really never witnessed in ways. I mean it’s quite incredible if you think about it.

I’m with you he needs to go, and would have already been fired with a competent AD, but UK fans need to quit allowing him to set the table for our expectations. His last 5-7 years have been as bad or worse as any coach in UK history.

He’s here another two years max. It’s title or bust for his tenure. Recruits no longer matter he won’t be judged on that. He wins a championship or he was the biggest disappointment in program history.

My expectations are the same. For me EE is an acceptable season. Anything beyond that is exceptional. Sweet 16 is meh...ok but forgettable. The missing tournament, early round upsets...horrible.

What has happened the past 2 years is unacceptable. I also don't think any of it is irreversible.

I'm not a Cal guy first, UK guy first...but reality is he isn't leaving so rooting for him to succeed and be another legacy guy here. It will go one of two ways. All that said, I struggle to think of next guy and I mean that.

My expectations are the same. For me EE is an acceptable season. Anything beyond that is exceptional. Sweet 16 is meh...ok but forgettable. The missing tournament, early round upsets...horrible.

What has happened the past 2 years is unacceptable. I also don't think any of it is irreversible.

I'm not a Cal guy first, UK guy first...but reality is he isn't leaving so rooting for him to succeed and be another legacy guy here. It will go one of two ways. All that said, I struggle to think of next guy and I mean that.
I don't think the "next guy" is on the radar yet. He is yet to emerge from the woodwork. As a point of reference he may be a Stoops like guy who is a nut and bolt assistant somewhere. If Cal can't catch lightening in a bottle in the next two years I think both he and UK wil be ready to move on.

He has a chance but he better not screw up with a kid who doesn't play or some other issue derailing a promising season

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Forget about why he is putting people down. The more pertinent question is why he is still here? He has no original ideas or thoughts. He spends most of his time attacking posters who don't agree with him. He is only here to antagonize other posters and to cause trouble. You should simply ignore him.
Attacking posters? Please show me what you are referring to.

I don't think the "next guy" is on the radar yet. He is yet to emerge from the woodwork. As a point of reference he may be a Stoops like guy who is a nut and bolt assistant somewhere. If Cal can't catch lightening in a bottle in the next two years I think both he and UK wil be ready to move on.

He has a chance but he better not screw up with a kid who doesn't play or some other issue derailing a promising season

Agreed. I think '24 is likely it due to contract verbage etc....but who knows, maybe it is longer. Highly doubt shorter though.

You can’t win a title every year and you’re going to have some low points, but we’ve never seen anything like what we’ve seen from Calipari at this point. Even during probation and coaching transitions we had a team willing to die for the university and played with pride. Then we rebounded to control the next decade.

We’ve never seen players sitting is out, getting the doors blown off us by rivals, not winning a single tournament game, losing the SEC in embarrassing fashion, home court losses to no names, a friggin 9 win season and on and on. I could literally continue. Calipari now gets excited to rub a win in the face of ALABAMA.

He has absolutely brought this program to lows we’ve really never witnessed in ways. I mean it’s quite incredible if you think about it.

I’m with you he needs to go, and would have already been fired with a competent AD, but UK fans need to quit allowing him to set the table for our expectations. His last 5-7 years have been as bad or worse as any coach in UK history.

He’s here another two years max. It’s title or bust for his tenure. Recruits no longer matter he won’t be judged on that. He wins a championship or he was the biggest disappointment in program history.
You are spot on with your assessment of UK basketball and Cal. I don't know which is more harmful to the program, Cal or fans who don't realize the harm he is doing. The acceptance of mediocrity leads to the downfall of all great institutions. The majority of our fanbase use to realize this; I am uncertain if this is the case anymore.

Last edited:

So what do we want our next guy to be? An established up and comer like Muss, Oates, or Drew? Or do we want to pluck a young hungry Pitino type guy from a small college that is way outperforming his level of player talent? Say maybe, a Shaheen Holloway type?

Attacking posters? Please show me what you are referring to.
I wouldn’t call it attacking, but you definitely only come on here to argue. That is undeniable. Without looking at your post history, I’d say that 95% of your posts are argumentative. Maybe a little higher.

'20 was a great team that didn't get to play. '19 was a great team that lost in overtime in the E8 game. '17 was a great team that got cheated in the E8 game.

Where is this slide so many see? Was it this season that was a 2 seed?

Is this all about the covid year of '21?

or is there something else?

I wouldn’t call it attacking, but you definitely only come on here to argue. That is undeniable. Without looking at your post history, I’d say that 95% of your posts are argumentative. Maybe a little higher.
I disagree with most posters. I don’t come to argue. I truly disagree with them. And I never use profanity or call names. If I did I would get banned because many people try to bait me. I don’t go along with people to get along with them.

'20 was a great team that didn't get to play. '19 was a great team that lost in overtime in the E8 game. '17 was a great team that got cheated in the E8 game.

Where is this slide so many see? Was it this season that was a 2 seed?

Is this all about the covid year of '21?

or is there something else?
1189 days and counting since UK won a NCAA Tournament game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT