ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone told Calipari that some NBA teams

NnpWRt5.png

are playing a lot of zone defense......gasp..........the horror.

Sure glad we don't waste our time trying to implement it, because we have been so good defending with man to man and stopping penetration to the rim.
That kind of zone is very hard to teach. With roster turnover in college, you need to focus on one. I've seen us go zone a few times and what you see is because we typically don't have experience together, is a lot of ball watching. Which gives you scores.

Sure glad we don't waste our time trying to implement it, because we have been so good defending with man to man and stopping penetration to the rim.
Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Maybe it's the teacher....
for sure it's the teacher.............when teams throw a zone @ UK..........the scoring stops, just like it did against WVU in the NCAA his first year..........had no clue how to attack it other than to shoot 30 three's that game
St Peters did the same thing toward the end of the 1st half & again UK froze up
9 million for someone to yell go, run & stomp his foot........just a complete joke

That kind of zone is very hard to teach. With roster turnover in college, you need to focus on one. I've seen us go zone a few times and what you see is because we typically don't have experience together, is a lot of ball watching. Which gives you scores.
There’s not a lot of experience in middle school or high school either but those coaches seem to be able to teach how to play a zone. Not only that but they play different defenses too. You adjust to win.

As opposed to our M2M which gives up easy basket after easy basket? If cal can’t teach an effective zone defense then he has no business being a coach period, much less earning the money he is now and the head coach at UK. I always stated Tubby was one of the most over rated coaches during his tenure here but cal makes tubby look like one of the greatest coaches of all time. Rather sickening how little actual coaching cal does.

I'm really hoping that NBA teams playing it more will entice Cal to use it. highly doubt it, but I am an optimist

I'm really hoping that NBA teams playing it more will entice Cal to use it. highly doubt it, but I am an optimist
The nba zone is much different than the college zone. The defensive 3 seconds is called in college. Usually though the nba zone is being played by really athletic bigs that cover a lot of ground.

Reactions: AGEE11
Title is misleading and pure fantasy. No one tells Cal anything if it doesn't originate in his mind it doesn't exist
Title misleading? Come now.....Any number of people can "tell" Cal something..............Does not mean he listens and takes their advice.🤔

Reactions: docholiday51

Doesn't college teams play zone as well? seems like Syracuse did one time

LOL, no it’s not. We played some zone when I played Jr. Pro ball in grade school. It’s basketball not physics. You just have to practice it like everything else.

NBA zone defenses are a joke though. Pro players typically eat up that defense and so when a coach goes to it, everyone gets so giddy (since most of the NBA is just firing away outside jump shots anyways)

ADVERTISEMENT