ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone gone to the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas?

downthehatch

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 29, 2009
We're thinking of going to Las Vegas to watch some of the summer league games. Can anyone who has been there tell me about your experience? Is it easy to get tickets? How crowded is Las Vegas this time of year? etc.?

I've been and it was unreal.
If someone bumps I'll give some detail when I have some more time.

Having said that, I think the attendance is WAY up from when I used to go.

Reactions: downthehatch
I've been and it was unreal.
If someone bumps I'll give some detail when I have some more time.

Having said that, I think the attendance is WAY up from when I used to go.
It looks like it would be fun to watch some games up close.

They play games in 2 different places. At Thomas & Mack, and in a gym on the UNLV campus. Due to proximity, Laker fans dominate the crowd when they play, but it is usually pretty easy getting tickets. Always a good time to check out the new players.

I've been the last 3 years. It easy to get tickets but some games are pretty crowded in the smaller gym.
The games are pretty good for the most part because everyones trying to make the team. The best part is that a lot of current and past players are there and they're just walking around with everybody. Last year I was in one of the snack line with Shaq and Bill Russell so if you can go you should.

I'll be at one of the SLC sessions in a week. I'm guessing the Vegas event will be better.

I went to one when Azubuike was playing.
The arena was nearly empty.

I sat row behind bench of team Kelenna was playing on being coached by Doc Rivers.

Two rows behind me were Danny Ainge and Kevin McHale.

Of course I was rockin UK shirt.

Anyway, it was obvious the players and coaches really liked Kel. As a person. Good dude. Chill dude. They seemed to genuinely like being around him. About 2 minutes into the game Doc calls his number. Kel floats on the perimeter and does nothing. After a few minutes he gets pulled back to the bench. Nothing said.

Maybe 5 minutes later his number is called again... same results. And again.

Midway through 2nd half Doc yells for Kel to come off the bench. Maybe the 4th time at this point in the game. Kel runs into the floor and Doc yells for him to come back. Doc grabs him by his jersey and says, "look kid, we are all pulling for you, but if you don't do something, RIGHT NOW, I won't put you back in again, EVER.. and you will have played your LAST minutes of basketball in your life. DO YOU GET THAT!!?!"

All the other players heard it obviously and they all started to yell and plead with him to take the game over.

He totally beasted. Other team couldn't stop him.
Kel got into position and demanded the ball.. over and over and over. Hit tough 3's but mostly drove to the rim relentlessly. I can't remember how many free throws he shot but it seemed like 15 in 4 or 5 minutes.

Doc was smiling ear to ear and the bench were all on their feet (so I had to move up a row in order to see - lol).

It was really cool watching all these non-UK players celebrating for one of our boys.

#nojanejokes

NBASummerLeague‏Verified account@NBASummerLeague Jun 23
Congrats to everyone selected in the 2017 #NBADraft. Now on to #NBASummer League! Get tix: http://ow.ly/sDv030bW1bZ

DDAvnCRUIAIKX1q.jpg

Went 2 years ago. Tickets are easy to get - usually not full. They have a few games that might be busier than others (Lakers).

It was pretty good, but I thought it would be a little better.

The use Thomas & Mack and Cox Pavilion (the smaller venue), which is attached to T&M. So both venues are in the same place.

Thanks to all for your responses. We just decided to do it, so we'll be there for the first weekend. What games do you recommend for the first four days?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT