ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Giles

Bam will get drafted higher than projected right now. He has really improved in last couple of weeks and until yesterday was actually hitting jump shots.

Ahh here lies the question, does going deeper into the tourney, and playing better raise your stock while in the tournament?

I made that argument for Meek's, and bunch others although Alot of people say no, you are what you are, your stock will never go higher by coming back, and having a great season. It's intriguing, I think an argument can be made for it, just like how Bams stock is rising right now.

EDIT: no I'm not saying Bam should come back, I'm saying I believe ultimately playing great in the tournament will raise your stock.

Ahh here lies the question, does going deeper into the tourney, and playing better raise your stock while in the tournament?

I made that argument for Meek's, and bunch others although Alot of people say no, you are what you are, your stock will never go higher by coming back, and having a great season. It's intriguing, I think an argument can be made for it, just like how Bams stock is rising right now.
EDIT: no I'm not saying Bam should come back, I'm saying I believe ultimately playing great in the tournament will raise your stock.

Bams stock has been rising the last month before the tournament due to him becoming much much better at rebounding and overall play. He jumped back into the mid 1st round after being out of it before the tournament even started. He's looked like a completely different player from February on. But yes, it'll go even higher if he continues to play well.

Reactions: awf and UKUGA
I respect your opinion but should we throw stones THIS season? We have TWO 5 stars not doing great. One never leaves the pine. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying.
Just look at Cal's record and you know who is the best at this. Something else has to be going on with SKJ. Gabriel gets plenty of run, he's just not producing. He started for much of the year.

Kennard should come back. He's a very, very good college player, but he'd get eaten alive in the NBA.

While that may be true, I don't think another year in college reduces the likelihood that he gets "eaten alive" in the NBA.

Go now. Start working on your game full time.

Kennard should come back. He's a very, very good college player, but he'd get eaten alive in the NBA.
Apparently several scouts think he is a first round pick and could be a millionaire in a couple of months. We have a kid on our team maybe 2 that will not even be considered by the NBA and they are leaving lol.

While that may be true, I don't think another year in college reduces the likelihood that he gets "eaten alive" in the NBA.

Go now. Start working on your game full time.
That may be true, but if I owned a team, I'd fire any GM that drafted him.

Just look at Cal's record and you know who is the best at this. Something else has to be going on with SKJ. Gabriel gets plenty of run, he's just not producing. He started for much of the year.
I admit It's worse on their side, Giles was a lock for the number 1 pick. I'm not understanding the argument between SKJ, And Bowden though. Do you know their situations? Again, not attacking just asking. I see a similar situation but not identical, but Definitely Dukes is a worse scenario.

I think Giles did just fine. It is clear that he is not the player he was and will have to redefine his game. I still don't think he had a chance to get drafted after two ACL tears...I think he realized it and was told it and just going slow and easy this year was good. He proved he can still "play"....I hope the kid does well, seems like he did handle this and the horrible injuries extremely well!!

If you are Kennard and given a first round grade, you go. He may not ever get this grade again as 1st round.
Mitchell is going to be a 1st rounder, Adel is a first rounder. Mitchell is like Kennard, he may be an injury from never being drafted. Remember 2nd round guys are making teams as opposed to 10 years ago. Mitchell is projected as 1st rounder.

I will say Duke has been more akin to UK and Cal then UL and UNC. Duke has been forthcoming and not tried to hold or hide out guys ala Ol Roy and Rick. Coach K has been more transparent and told kids that are 1st round, you need to go.

Problem I have is that they bungled Giles, he should have never been on floor. They should have set him out. He is a fraction of himself, He got terrible advice. He would have been top pick without playing or top 3 for sure. He will still be a top 15 pick, he tears another knee up while not on NBA roster then his career could be over. He has to go.

I admit It's worse on their side, Giles was a lock for the number 1 pick. I'm not understanding the argument between SKJ, And Bowden though. Do you know their situations? Again, not attacking just asking. I see a similar situation but not identical, but Definitely Dukes is a worse scenario.
I really don't know the deal with SKJ. Very strange and confusing. Could be very simple but who knows. As much as Cal is for these kids, it seems strange. Hopefully nothing bad.

Reactions: Jbapp1978
Giles needs to go to the NBA just like Skal did after one year as he will still be a 1st rounder and make a ton of money and he can recover there. Skal is going just fine now and Giles will to.
I think (and I don't blame you as I want the same), that you just want Giles gone from dook.

Don't blame them. I am miserable when UK loses.

Oh, I'm not blaming them. It's no fun to go to an opposing teams board after you lose, knowing they are enjoying the heck out of your misery. Which leads me to the question, why come over here at all if you know I revel in your misery? Those guys are sensible and knowledgeable posters but I love it when they are sad and depressed.

Reactions: Gothic1960
Has anyone seen the flashes of potential with Giles at Duke? I sure haven't, and that's why you can't compare him to Skal who at the very least gave you glimpses of how good he could be.

Giles doesn't seem to do anything well anymore and I'm not sure there is a ton of potential there. Trust me, I know how good he looked in high school but he just ain't that guy anymore.

He is still light year's ahead of where Skal was and he is doing fine now. Kennard is projected in first round. You go. Unless you play for coaches that don't care about you like K and Williams.
Kennard to Skal is not a good comparison. You can't teach someone to be 7' tall with a tremendous upside. On the other hand, easily guarded guards of average height, average speed, and average quickness with a nice shot are a dime a dozen. If South Carolina manhandles you, you're professional aspirations are not ready for prime time.

I think Giles did just fine. It is clear that he is not the player he was and will have to redefine his game. I still don't think he had a chance to get drafted after two ACL tears...I think he realized it and was told it and just going slow and easy this year was good. He proved he can still "play"....I hope the kid does well, seems like he did handle this and the horrible injuries extremely well!!
Wrong in just about everything you mentioned

Reactions: StubbornPenny
He will still be a lottery pick this year or top 15, he goes back to Duke next year and blows a knee out then he might never be drafted or ever play in NBA. He has to go. It was bad advice he received. He could have set out and been top 2-3 pick.

The narrative for Duke will still be high for Duke, Tatum will be top pick and the young kid at KU will be 2 or 1. I think no one has a Josh Jackson and when you put him with KU and the other guys then you have maybe the best team.
Harry Giles is not going to be a lottery pick.

Just out of curiosity, how does Gary Trent Jr a top10 recruit and Shooting Guard, fit in with two other SG's and a PG/SG combo?

He doesn't. There's no way Trent stays with Duke if there's 3 other SG's on the team.. Something has to give.

Reactions: Willy4UK
I didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned.

Why didn't Giles get a technical after he fouled out? He ran up the court screaming at the official. Nothing.

He averages 19.8 points a game taking all the shots on a really bad team. He was expected to be a once in a decade talent coming out of HS.

You make it sound like averaging 20ppg in the NBA is easy because of the team he plays on smdh...dont be the casual fan please.

Going to love how the Duke fans react to their OADs and early entrants this year. It's one thing for a group to leave after winning a championship, but after a first weekend loss? Have a feeling that Duke crowd is going to get worked up. I'm thinking letters like Elton Brand...
I do not understand these comments. It is like we have a short memory. Last year we were in the same position. We lost to Indiana in the second round, had 3 freshmen leave. a sophomore, and 2 juniors leave the program.

Agree with ur assessment but he should go if he gets a first round grade at the NBA Combine.

Don't get me wrong - I completely agree he should go if he can get drafted in the first round. I'm just saying any GM that drafts him in the first round should be fired.

Just out of curiosity, how does Gary Trent Jr a top10 recruit and Shooting Guard, fit in with two other SG's and a PG/SG combo?

He doesn't. There's no way Trent stays with Duke if there's 3 other SG's on the team.. Something has to give.
Thats what I am saying as well. Just imagine if Duvall is added to that mix. Knox better think really hard about going to Duke. I assume he wants to play SF in college.

Knox is probably fine. He can play the 3, probably the 4 as well (if he's ok with that).. the guard spots get a bit tricky. Most are either a 1 or a 2, not much wiggle room as those positions differ so much.. and many don't have the size to play the 3.

The other scenario, Trent coming in may push Kennard/Allen out. You can't make the three of them happy.

If Giles returns to Duke coach K shouldn't get another aspiring OAD. I'm fine with certain kids returning, but Duke is killing a few draft stocks lately.

It will and should be used against them on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
And furthermore, K doesn't care anymore. If he has a built team returning he will retire and nothing matters to him. Will K destroy someone's career by talking them into returning for his going out party?

Sadly I think yes. The man is terrible and the game can't get rid of him fast enough.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT