ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Giles

StubbornPenny

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2009
After the smear campaign against platooning, I sure hope this is getting discussed on the recruiting trail too. Giles played all of 9 minutes in Duke's loss, three rebounds, a block, and no points. Didn't even take a shot. Kids, you're more likely to be a Giles or a Bolden at Duke than a Tatum or Okafor.

I feel for the kid. In no way should he have played this season. Even if he wanted to, he should have sat out. Sometimes you have to protect someone from themselves. Of course every kid wants to get out there and play, but when we're talking the difference between 6.5 million (the guaranteed money for the 5th pick of the draft) and 1.6 million (20th pick), someone has to think of the kid's future for him. If your kid had Google already begging to pay him $6.5 million, you wouldn't let him take an unpaid internship where you might find out he can't code as well as you thought.

I know we all have our opinions on what a players first program is, but this is what it's supposed to do: not screw up your chances at being generationally rich. Giles chances took a huge hit this season for absolutely no other reason than Coach K's ego.

Not sure, at this point, if Giles will even go to the NBA this year. Might be another example of how K holds players back, kinda like Pitino does at UL. If a top player wants to get to the NBA fast and at a higher draft position then UK and Cal is still the best way to go. Not the only place but I still think it's the best for those types of players, the record speaks for itself.

He should bolt now. Not sure what another year at Duke will do, as I'd put good odds on him having a career ending injury in the next 12 months.

If he leaves now, he'll get drafted in the 1st.. to an already good team.. and all he has to do is continue progressing. Assuming he stays healthy, he'll build his NBA career very quick.

Reactions: UKUGA
His choice might show more about the dinosaur coach than the young player . K gonna drag him back to college ?

Not sure, at this point, if Giles will even go to the NBA this year. Might be another example of how K holds players back, kinda like Pitino does at UL. If a top player wants to get to the NBA fast and at a higher draft position then UK and Cal is still the best way to go. Not the only place but I still think it's the best for those types of players, the record speaks for itself.

The way Duke handles OAD players would make one think that kids wouldn't want to go there. K must give good head.

Remember when every sucker on ESPN called this guy a sure lock as a top 5 pick? Nothing against the kid but he chose Duke and he just lost millions.

I agree that he should leave and got to the NBA this year. Wonder how many Duke players will leave this year ?

Not to be a told you so because I had posted last year that he was going to have issues after not playing for a year. However, he did much worse than even I predicted. Remember he wasn't just a top recruit, he was the top recruit supposedly of any high school player. Yes, he had some re-injuries, but he looked more lost than Gabriel has recently and that is saying a lot.

It will be interesting to see if he does come back to play again next year. I feel that these kids all rush too much to jump but if staying hurts their career than that is a mistake too. I read on the Duke board they are really pinning a lot of hope on landing Bomba. I just hope Bomba pays attention to what happened with Giles as compared to Bam regarding the right choice to make.

He will still be a lottery pick this year or top 15, he goes back to Duke next year and blows a knee out then he might never be drafted or ever play in NBA. He has to go. It was bad advice he received. He could have set out and been top 2-3 pick.

The narrative for Duke will still be high for Duke, Tatum will be top pick and the young kid at KU will be 2 or 1. I think no one has a Josh Jackson and when you put him with KU and the other guys then you have maybe the best team.

I agree that he should leave and got to the NBA this year. Wonder how many Duke players will leave this year ?
I am sure Kennard and Allen will come back next year and they will be the greatest team of all time part 2 lol. One thing about it is Duvall should think long and hard about going to Duke if Frank Jackson and Kennard come back.

Reactions: Cawood86
To be fair...Harrison Barnes isn't doing to shabby in the NBA. Not all kids are ready after a year...doesn't mean they are failures or busts.

Has nothing to do with his future ability... he may be fine long term... it has to do with what the season did to his draft status. Someone should have seen that he'd be a shell of himself and should have protected his earnings. He lost at least 5 million this year alone, and if he comes back for another yeah he's sliced off another year of earning potential. It may all be moot in 10 years if he's had a solid career, but you HAVE to play the now when it comes to a kid with an injury history like his.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
He really should have sat out all year....woulda been a top 10 pick. With his injury history, I can see him going but with his lack of production I can also see him staying.

Kennard needs to go as I think he will most likely go in the 1st round. Don't see him getting much better at Duke & could get hurt that would hurt his draft next year.

Reactions: UKUGA
Giles was hurt. That is the reason for his lackluster play, not any coach holding him back.

Did Cal hold back Gabriel, Briscoe, Bam (he is outside the lottery now), SKJ. No. Sometimes players are just who they are.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Giles needs to go to the NBA just like Skal did after one year as he will still be a 1st rounder and make a ton of money and he can recover there. Skal is going just fine now and Giles will to.
Averaged 10 mpg this season. Sounds very fragile. Hard to see the NBA drafting him now anyway.

To be fair...Harrison Barnes isn't doing to shabby in the NBA. Not all kids are ready after a year...doesn't mean they are failures or busts.

Harrison Barnes played 2 years at UNC after being the unanimous #1 player out of high school.

People mention Bolden not getting time as a 5 star player after being considered a sure-fire lottery pick at the beginning of the season, but what about Chase Jeter? He's also a 5 star, 6'10 player that didn't make the rotation AFTER HIS 2ND YEAR IN COACH K'S "DEVELOPMENTAL PROGRAM". He was rated the #16 player overall in that class; 3 SPOTS HIGHER THAN CALEB SWANIGAN.

Let's admit the facts, coach K can't develop squat in one or two years. The kids that leave early leave based on the God given talent that they had when they entered dUKe. Then look at the success of those players in the NBA. It's miniscule compared to the success of Cal's players in the league. Yeah Cal's kids come in with a lot of God given talent also but he knows how to mold it and discipline it to make them more effective and efficient. We've been sold a bill of goods about K and if you somehow criticize him it's against the foundations of college basketball. He was the best during the 80's and 90's but when the game and rules started to change he and his program became more and more protected.

K did a terrible job trying to work with him, really terrible job.

Coach K did not focus on March and focused on right now thinking only. That's why He has so many early bail out.

He averages 19.8 points a game taking all the shots on a really bad team. He was expected to be a once in a decade talent coming out of HS.

Reactions: spotter34
He averages 19.8 points a game taking all the shots on a really bad team. He was expected to be a once in a decade talent coming out of HS.

His PER is 16.9. A PER of 15 means you're a completely average NBA player. He's basically just a guy who happens to be on a team where he gets a lot of shots.

Reactions: spotter34
On the latest Draft Express Kennard is #20 and Mitchell from UL is #21, bet they both come back.

Not sold on Kennard as a pro .. GREAT college player but dont see his skills translating that well . He just fits that " program "

Who is he going to guard? Seriously? Is there a player in the league at his position that he could guard?

Reactions: Cawood86
I'd be very surprised if Bam was not in the lottery.
I hear you, these people who see these mock drafts and listen to Chad Ford need a clue do they not realize teams will work him out he has elite athleticism for a big and can hit free throws he is hitting 77percent the last 12 games. He jumps higher than Dwight Howard has a mid range shot has been a double double machine the last 10 games and rebounding was the weak ass reason Ford gave for dropping him in the mock draft. Dude just had 28 rebounds in 2 NCAA games. Hell he is on the up trend and I won't be surprised after the work outs if he doesn't go top 10. See Andre Drummond if u don't know what I mean.

Reactions: awf and ManitouDan
I am sure that fat greasy little lying pig Chapel is busy right now telling each of those guys how much they owe to coach K and the Duke program, and it would only be right if they came back!! I mean after all they are set for life !!!

Reactions: JoeBeeHall and awf
Going to love how the Duke fans react to their OADs and early entrants this year. It's one thing for a group to leave after winning a championship, but after a first weekend loss? Have a feeling that Duke crowd is going to get worked up. I'm thinking letters like Elton Brand...

Reactions: awf
After the smear campaign against platooning, I sure hope this is getting discussed on the recruiting trail too. Giles played all of 9 minutes in Duke's loss, three rebounds, a block, and no points. Didn't even take a shot. Kids, you're more likely to be a Giles or a Bolden at Duke than a Tatum or Okafor.

I feel for the kid. In no way should he have played this season. Even if he wanted to, he should have sat out. Sometimes you have to protect someone from themselves. Of course every kid wants to get out there and play, but when we're talking the difference between 6.5 million (the guaranteed money for the 5th pick of the draft) and 1.6 million (20th pick), someone has to think of the kid's future for him. If your kid had Google already begging to pay him $6.5 million, you wouldn't let him take an unpaid internship where you might find out he can't code as well as you thought.

I know we all have our opinions on what a players first program is, but this is what it's supposed to do: not screw up your chances at being generationally rich. Giles chances took a huge hit this season for absolutely no other reason than Coach K's ego.

I respect your opinion but should we throw stones THIS season? We have TWO 5 stars not doing great. One never leaves the pine. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying.

Reactions: LeonThe Camel
I think Bam has recovered his draft stock over the last few weeks.
His post game has actually improved and he's shown an ability to cover a lot of the floor on defense, including tracking down long rebounds.

His athleticism is insane and he's got nice touch for a big.

Reactions: Aike and awf

My favorite factoid on Barnes is that he was pre-season 1st Team All-American twice, and didn't even make the end-of-season teams at all. Not even 3rd team. Great work Roy.

Reactions: ~Keyser Soze~
ADVERTISEMENT