ADVERTISEMENT

happy thanks giving!

Dec 1, 2009
IU fan here, hope you Cat fans are having a great holiday!

Clearly IU basketball has been a mess for years (20+). I am a respectful poster that respects other programs and fan bases. I also have an appreciation for teams/programs that have been able to maintain such a high level of success/performance (UK/duke/ku/unc).

So I'm asking the biggest/loyalist fan base of the best program of all time....IYO what needs to happen for IU to be elite again?

Is it more than just the coaching staff? I think the IU identity has almost worn itself out? Maybe a new look, new identity?

It will never happen there, but...

Let go of the past, embrace the 21st century... ditch the obsession with candy striped pajamas and stop hanging on to 1976... forget Knight and his now-obsolete methodology... hardest element by far: hire an elite coach who is able to relate to today's players, has an element of "cool," and knows every angle of the recruiting game.

The last element is almost impossible; who at this point would want to step into the anachronism that is IUsedtobe? Maybe more difficult: a complete change in the mentality there. How do you get the vast majority of your fanbase, who essentially wait in the pumpkin patch for the Great Red Sweater to rise again, to reject that ridiculous dream and come to terms with the way elite programs are run today?

Probability of IU returning to long-term elite status: near 0%

^^^^good points and have to agree to most. IU fan base is very unrealistic in a lot of ways. I do think IU can return to elite status, and it's going to take the kind of coach you described to do it.

I think it is time to candy stripe the court at Assembly Hall. Also, play with a candy stripe ball.

IU's success was on the backs of 2 men. Time has passed them by. UK has titles under 5 coaches. Let that sink in.

ADVERTISEMENT