ADVERTISEMENT

Hamidou Diallo should return to Kentucky Basketball, per NBA execs

That's what was said about Briscoe too and we know what happened. Some guys are just set on leaving school ASAP.

There's lots of executives in the NBA, and they don't all say the same thing. They don't write articles about the ones who are telling him he should come out. Young kid getting a chance to become a millionaire isn't as clickable sports story as kid foolishly leaving school to enter draft against advice from elders.

The 76ers and Magic may be telling him to stay out because he's not a lottery pick. Spurs and Cavs may see a chance to get future lottery talent with end of round pick.

Reactions: Titles1
I'm good with whatever happens because I think Cal thought for sure he was coming back next year when he brought him on. I think Diallo thought that too. His stock has blown up and this has turned into a very unusual situation. Doubt it ever happens again.

I'm good with whatever happens because I think Cal thought for sure he was coming back next year when he brought him on. I think Diallo thought that too. His stock has blown up and this has turned into a very unusual situation. Doubt it ever happens again.
His stock didn't blow up until he chose to set on the bench and protect his draft stock, then entered the draft which most thought was never gonna happen in the first place.

Ok.

Nba execs love to pick the unknown, sleepers , etc. Spurs have made a living off of unknowns , foreign treasures. Someone will be in his ear, but is being picked 25-32 enuf?

His stock didn't blow up until he chose to set on the bench and protect his draft stock, then entered the draft which most thought was never gonna happen in the first place.
I don't think he sat on the bench to protect that. Of course, that is only my opinion- I have no idea what he thought. Bottomline to me is, Cal brought him on to come back next year. It may still happen. We will see.

Nba execs love to pick the unknown, sleepers , etc. Spurs have made a living off of unknowns , foreign treasures. Someone will be in his ear, but is being picked 25-32 enuf?
Exactly. A team will probably take a chance at that point, based on everything being said about his freak athleticism. Is the guaranteed money at that level good enough for him to leave?

I think Cal knew all along. I think Cal did his hw on Diallo beforehand, spoke with NBA guys, and got information and concluded that there was a decent chance he'd probably return.

And if he didn't return, Cal isn't really going to lose any sleep over it. Just another millionaire notch in his belt.

But like many others have said, if he goes pro with having willingly chosen not to play for UK, then yeah...not a Wildcat. Of course, Cal will say different and posters on here will slurp it up and say were not true fans.

Reactions: JFCats22
I think Cal knew all along. I think Cal did his hw on Diallo beforehand, spoke with NBA guys, and got information and concluded that there was a decent chance he'd probably return.

And if he didn't return, Cal isn't really going to lose any sleep over it. Just another millionaire notch in his belt.

But like many others have said, if he goes pro with having willingly chosen not to play for UK, then yeah...not a Wildcat. Of course, Cal will say different and posters on here will slurp it up and say were not true fans.

HS Coach:

"His plan was to go and play at Kentucky next year," Espinosa said. "But you never know what happens. I'd be shocked if there's a better athlete in the draft than Hamidou. It's going to be a tough decision for him and his family, but his plan was always to play next year for Kentucky."

I do think Diallo was genuinely planning on playing at UK next season and not leaving for the draft, but once he learned he could be a first-round pick, that threw a wrench into his plans. It’s hard for anyone to pass on first-round money and a guaranteed contract, which is what Diallo may have to do if he returns to school.

I wouldn’t count on him doing that. If Diallo feels he’ll be a first-round pick, expect him to remain in the draft. But if he can’t get that assurance, I think he’ll return to UK.

I think it would take some huge cajones, for an NBA exec to take Diallo in the lottery in such a deep & talented draft. Is his ceiling higher than many of the guys who will go from 10-20, sure. But his floor is also much lower. He very well may be an athletic Shooting Guard who can't shoot. You just don't know without seeing him play vs top competition. When he last played, he wasn't a good shooter. And lots of guys can make shots in workouts, but then can't in games. Just too big of a risk. Now if you are picking in the 20-32 range, then sure he may be worth a flyer, a lottery ticket at a top talent. But then if you are Diallo, do you believe in yourself enough that you can make yourself a lottery pick next year (in a weaker draft) or are you ok just getting drafted (but later) this year?

Reactions: JFCats22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT