ADVERTISEMENT

Hagans practice sessions tweet

just based on the comparisons in this thread, hagans is apparently going to be awesome as he wants to be.

And if it takes him some time to get going, there are other options. UK's in a rare position to have depth at every position. They won't be hijacked by any particular player's slower development.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
What is your expectations for him?

I am not who you pointed the response to but are you seriously going to put a near double double average on a person where the team is ten deep and maybe more to start the season? A 9 assist average? and 6 rebounds per? You are seriously close to him averaging a triple double. Yes, that is pretty close.)

That is a whole lot of a load to put on any freshman, especially with the team he will have around him. Three top point guards to boot? When will they touch the ball? To get to those type averages UK would have to average about 90 points per game at a minimum. (Just a guess, I did no calculations.) Way too early to put that pressure on any freshman.

For perspective; AD averaged 14.2 points and 10.4 rebounds per game.

Last edited:
sounds like Ryan Harrow to me. He was a baller in the practices and over the summer I heard tell.....

What is your expectations for him?

I think you're fairly close, just especially think your assists guess is really, really high. Just my opinion, and if you're right, then I will be ecstatic. Given the roster, I'm hoping for 10+-5-4. That's the same number of assists and rebounds per game Fox had. If he comes anywhere close to 9 assists per game, that would mean he's a borderline all-american (depending on other stats). Ulis averaged 7.0 assists his sophomore year. John Wall-6.5.

Reactions: 1991greywildcat
I think you're fairly close, just especially think your assists guess is really, really high. Just my opinion, and if you're right, then I will be ecstatic. Given the roster, I'm hoping for 10+-5-4. That's the same number of assists and rebounds per game Fox had. If he comes anywhere close to 9 assists per game, that would mean he's a borderline all-american (depending on other stats). Ulis averaged 7.0 assists his sophomore year. John Wall-6.5.

The teams a legit 10 deep maybe more with three top point guards...

Positive summer pick-up game news - "Pump the brakes everybody. We don't know how they will do in a real game."
Negative summer pick-up game news - "THIS IS CLEARLY INDICATION OF HOW THINGS WILL BE IN MARCH! I KNEW IT, WE'RE GONNA SUCK! THE SKY IS FALLING! OUR PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF! FAR CAL! ONE AND DONES ARE THE WORST!"

This was my exact thought as I read down the thread.

I'm just glad we have any news. Of course it will be a bit of hyperbole but its the summer. Just enjoy it.

Yes, there have been times we've heard some exaggerations but other times they were accurate. And we should say, in most cases, the things we've heard since Cal has been the coach have been pretty accurate. In the final years of Tubby and then Gillispie, I think we were all grasping at straws, hoping for some glimmer of good news.
Back in the BCG days, Dakotah Eaton and Dominic Ferguson were PJ Washington and Reid Travis.

My expectations for him are @ 10/5/4. I think he'll be more of a pass first/find the open man on a drive type of offensive player. Take the 3 if he's open.

If he can give us those stats, and be the defensive player we think he will be, then the team will be in good hands when he's on the floor.

Given our depth, and the fact we have several guys, including AH, who give it all they've got while on the floor, I'd like to see Cal turn them loose from time to time and press teams 94'.

This is going to be a fun year, and it's going to be great watching these guys mature and come together as a team.

Wat.

1. Fox was an excellent defender.

2. Hagans is not a good outside shooter. He is serviceable at best.

Hagans is gonna be great, but let’s not turn him into a unicorn and rewrite history.
Derek if you go back and check Fox struggled REAL bad staying in front of his man the first half of the year, just let them run by and reached from behind a lot. Not until later did he start really using his quickness and guarding

Reactions: JC43
There are going to be games where teams struggle to get 50 points against this team. That's what I look most forward to seeing this season. Also, this team isn't going to need Hagans to hit the 3. Just make enough to keep the defense honest.

Reactions: JASUN74
Yes, there have been times we've heard some exaggerations but other times they were accurate. And we should say, in most cases, the things we've heard since Cal has been the coach have been pretty accurate. In the final years of Tubby and then Gillispie, I think we were all grasping at straws, hoping for some glimmer of good news.
Disagree, preseason reports seem to often be exaggerated. Now, it doesn’t mean they were completely wrong, but if you went off of what the media was saying based off practices we should have had a handful of NPOY’s at this point.

Reactions: Cychologist
Hagans is going to be a great facilitating pg with SEC 1st team defensive abilities. However, I don't expect his perimeter shooting to be much of an asset.

Really? How so? I thought their games were completely different. I mean, both guys are short, but that's about where I thought their similarities ended.

I don't know about that. Plenty of point guards have been drafted with a broken shot.

I am not who you pointed the response to but are you seriously going to put a near double double average on a person where the team is ten deep and maybe more to start the season? A 9 assist average? and 6 rebounds per? You are seriously close to him averaging a triple double. Yes, that is pretty close.)

That is a whole lot of a load to put on any freshman, especially with the team he will have around him. Three top point guards to boot? When will they touch the ball? To get to those type averages UK would have to average about 90 points per game at a minimum. (Just a guess, I did no calculations.) Way too early to put that pressure on any freshman.

For perspective; AD averaged 14.2 points and 10.4 rebounds per game.

Good points BBUK, never did think of it like that. Like another poster pointed out, Ulis only averaged 7 a game in his second year, but i feel like Ulis would 9 or 10 a game with all of the scoring ootions they will have, Hagens always looks for the open man first, before trying to score himself..

Reactions: BBUK
Derek if you go back and check Fox struggled REAL bad staying in front of his man the first half of the year, just let them run by and reached from behind a lot. Not until later did he start really using his quickness and guarding

I thought we played more aggressively early in the year, then Fox started picking up ticky tack fouls once SEC play started and he held back.

But I’m not going to go back and check.

Good points BBUK, never did think of it like that. Like another poster pointed out, Ulis only averaged 7 a game in his second year, but i feel like Ulis would 9 or 10 a game with all of the scoring ootions they will have, Hagens always looks for the open man first, before trying to score himself..
Not sure why you quoted me. You quoted my response to the "Waters reminds me of Ulis" post.

From what I've seen of Hagans he reminds me a bit of Teague with his defense and physicality. More aggressive on offense than Teague was and a better finisher. Needs to work on the jump shot. Not sure if Cal will try to fix Hagans' form or just help him improve on percentages.

He won't be here long enough to work on form. That takes a long time to do. I like the comparison to Teague. I think that's a good comparison.

Hagans is the best distributor Cal has ever brought in and has prototype physical attributes to go with it. He will be the highest draft pick on this team and will be a complete superstar because of the roster around him. He’s awesome, get ready for it.

I can shoot 60% easily on college threes in a shootaround type setting before my lack of endurance starts kicking in. Normally you take whatever you can hit in stuff like that and cut it by 50% and that's what you're going to make in a game.

I can hit about 35-40% in shoot around, so you’re saying I’d hit around -10%??

Harden to Davender on the wing, Davender back to Harden at the top of the circle, Harden sees Sky Walker running to the rim and throws it almost to the top of the backboard, Walker grabs the ball off the top and brings a thunderous dunk which puts a ball shape dent in the floor under the goal. Rupp Arena goes crazy and not a single person in their seat. Lol. I can actually see it happening. I loved that team and Roger Harden was and still is one of my favorites.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Ugh really? Did you watch any of the games from his one year here. I challenge you to find a player that didn't take him off the dribble that season. Go back and look at how many layup of up the middle drives our guards gave up that season. We struggled through Dec, Jan, Feb and early March for a reason and it wasn't a lack of scoring.

Hagans is a much better shooter than you are giving him credit for. This is like the people saying that Quade was a bad shooter a year ago. Turned out to be the best part of his game.
I don’t know how good a shooter Hagans is but Fox was absolutely not a great defender. He got better as the season went on but he was atrocious the first half of the year. He gave people clear lanes to the basket on a regular basis. And I’m a huge Fox fan.

I’m still grieving over the hair, but I think Ash is going to be one of Cal’s better PGs - like a mix of Wall and Fox.

I don't care what recruiting analyst has made the comparison to Fox (Ive seen a few do it) anyone who buys into that is gonna have their feelings hurt. Fox is so much quicker than Hagans it would be like Hagans feet were weighted down if they were to race. Hagans looks like a bulky slower guard (compared to fox and wall who hes been compared too) who gets by on power not speed.

lol

My expectations for him are @ 10/5/4. I think he'll be more of a pass first/find the open man on a drive type of offensive player. Take the 3 if he's open.

If he can give us those stats, and be the defensive player we think he will be, then the team will be in good hands when he's on the floor.

Given our depth, and the fact we have several guys, including AH, who give it all they've got while on the floor, I'd like to see Cal turn them loose from time to time and press teams 94'.

This is going to be a fun year, and it's going to be great watching these guys mature and come together as a team.

This will indeed be a fun Year. Sucks for the UK haters. LOL!

Hagans is a better defensive player and passer then Fox, not as quick or athletic but few are. Shoots about same but think Fox is better finisher around rim.
He is actually is a slightly better shooter IMO ( though fox was bad he just wasnt great either) but not quite as fast. As you said a better passer and a much better defender. Many thought he was the best defensive guard in HS regardless of class.

He is more Rondo like than anyone, you guys is too hellbent on comparison to a past Cal gaurd. He is nothing like Wall, Ulis or Knight, Harrison is probably a decent comparison, but he is nowhere offensively developed like Harrison. That is why i compare him to Rondo, because he still has a long way to go in his offense, but has excellent passing and defensive abilities, i would look for him to only average 12 points a game, but about 9 assist and 6 rebounds a game, he effects the game alot more than just scoring..
This is a pretty damn funny post . If he "only" averages that he is a 1st team or 2nd team AA and UK is a 37-3 type team. IMO due to all the guards we have no one will average a ton of points / assists ect. Quickley is an amazing player as well and Green is no slouch either. We have 3 great PG this season .

I don’t think any of us truly know how an individual player will do this year. But the fun part is, we won’t have to wait until October or November to find out. The trip to the Bahamas should give us a good look at which players should hit the ground running.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Sort of. Hagans is not as fast as Fox but overall he's a much better player. Fox couldn't defend very well, Hagans is excellent. Fox had no outside shot, again Hagans is excellent. Hagans is closer to Brandon Knight or Kyrie Irving than Fox. Don't be shocked if Hagans is the team's best player. He is really good.

Lol wut? He's a "much better" player than Fox? C'mon man. Fox was and is a beast.

Fox had a great midrange jumper, he merely wasn't good from 3. Hagans shooting isn't his strength. And while I agree Fox would get beat off the dribble some, and wasn't a great defender, he also was better than you say and was plenty serviceable and would get steals.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT