ADVERTISEMENT

Hagans practice sessions tweet

382.gif

Kid is going to be able to get into the lane at will this year. Imagine him coming off a screen from our brick wall (Travis) has me salivating.

Is he better than Fox? Or can we expect similar production. If so, I'd be ecstatic.

Not too long ago, I hit seven consecutive threes. I'm 52.

Soooo...you know...doesn't mean I could do that in a game. Just sayin'
I can shoot 60% easily on college threes in a shootaround type setting before my lack of endurance starts kicking in. Normally you take whatever you can hit in stuff like that and cut it by 50% and that's what you're going to make in a game.

Reactions: fatguy87
Hagans is gonna be a beast. Has the physicality and basketball IQ to be a menace both offensively and defensively.

KB

Reactions: caneintally
I don't care what recruiting analyst has made the comparison to Fox (Ive seen a few do it) anyone who buys into that is gonna have their feelings hurt. Fox is so much quicker than Hagans it would be like Hagans feet were weighted down if they were to race. Hagans looks like a bulky slower guard (compared to fox and wall who hes been compared too) who gets by on power not speed.

I believe with Reid and PJ leading this team we will jell by January. Hagans, Johnson and EJ are alpha dogs. Add in Herro and Baker hitting threes and let’s not forget Richards. I believe Richards will improve drastically because of Reid and EJ kicking his ass in practice. You know I love Cal, our team and BBN and yes I wear blue tinted glasses, but I just believe we have all the pieces this year. Will we go undefeated, no. I do think any loses will make this team give more of themselves. I’m guessing 4 losses at the most 2 at the least. Say what you will about this team but they are hungry and a hungry team is always a dangerous advisory.

Hagans is a better defensive player and passer then Fox, not as quick or athletic but few are. Shoots about same but think Fox is better finisher around rim.

Hagens is more Rondo, than he is Fox..

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I don't care what recruiting analyst has made the comparison to Fox (Ive seen a few do it) anyone who buys into that is gonna have their feelings hurt. Fox is so much quicker than Hagans it would be like Hagans feet were weighted down if they were to race. Hagans looks like a bulky slower guard (compared to fox and wall who hes been compared too) who gets by on power not speed.
So Briscoe 2.0?

Sort of. Hagans is not as fast as Fox but overall he's a much better player. Fox couldn't defend very well, Hagans is excellent. Fox had no outside shot, again Hagans is excellent. Hagans is closer to Brandon Knight or Kyrie Irving than Fox. Don't be shocked if Hagans is the team's best player. He is really good.

Sort of. Hagans is not as fast as Fox but overall he's a much better player. Fox couldn't defend very well, Hagans is excellent. Fox had no outside shot, again Hagans is excellent. Hagans is closer to Brandon Knight or Kyrie Irving than Fox. Don't be shocked if Hagans is the team's best player. He is really good.

Wat.

1. Fox was an excellent defender.

2. Hagans is not a good outside shooter. He is serviceable at best.

Hagans is gonna be great, but let’s not turn him into a unicorn and rewrite history.

Wat.

1. Fox was an excellent defender.

2. Hagans is not a good outside shooter. He is serviceable at best.

Hagans is gonna be great, but let’s not turn him into a unicorn and rewrite history.
Ugh really? Did you watch any of the games from his one year here. I challenge you to find a player that didn't take him off the dribble that season. Go back and look at how many layup of up the middle drives our guards gave up that season. We struggled through Dec, Jan, Feb and early March for a reason and it wasn't a lack of scoring.

Hagans is a much better shooter than you are giving him credit for. This is like the people saying that Quade was a bad shooter a year ago. Turned out to be the best part of his game.

Reactions: awf and JC43
From what I've seen of Hagans he reminds me a bit of Teague with his defense and physicality. More aggressive on offense than Teague was and a better finisher. Needs to work on the jump shot. Not sure if Cal will try to fix Hagans' form or just help him improve on percentages.

Positive summer pick-up game news - "Pump the brakes everybody. We don't know how they will do in a real game."
Negative summer pick-up game news - "THIS IS CLEARLY INDICATION OF HOW THINGS WILL BE IN MARCH! I KNEW IT, WE'RE GONNA SUCK! THE SKY IS FALLING! OUR PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF! FAR CAL! ONE AND DONES ARE THE WORST!"

To me, he's like a better shooting but slightly slower John Wall, mixed with a taller Ulis who doesn't quite have Tyler's overall feel for creating assists...

Not really. But those were the only two Cal-era Kentucky point guards not already taken in this thread for a specious comparison (other than Ryan Harrow and I didn't feel like going there.)

Maybe we should open it up beyond the Cal years? Anybody else see a combination of Kyle Macy and Cliff Hawkins, but a little less of a free throw shooter and needs a bit of work on defense...

I actually think “slower, less bouncy John Wall” is a pretty good comparison.

Reactions: JASUN74
I think Hagans gives you some of the same stuff Shai did, as far as being crafty and being able to get to his spots with the dribble.

He’s better about finding the open man than Shai was at this point. More instinctive.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Just from watching some highlights, he seems like a quicker, stronger SGA with better floor vision, though maybe not as good of a shooter. Defensively, he's been described as a bulldog who harasses and picks up 94 ft. If he can hit around 35% from 3 I think he's looking at potential top 5 spot in the draft next year. We'll get a much better feel come August.

Brandon Knight and Kyrie Irving are on a completely different level of skill sets.

Fox was better than Knight.

Fox's defensive box score score/minus is a lot better than Knight. His BPM is in general better than Knights .

From your break down he's closer to fox than Brandon Knight .

I doubt Hagans will chuck so many threes.

He is more Rondo like than anyone, you guys is too hellbent on comparison to a past Cal gaurd. He is nothing like Wall, Ulis or Knight, Harrison is probably a decent comparison, but he is nowhere offensively developed like Harrison. That is why i compare him to Rondo, because he still has a long way to go in his offense, but has excellent passing and defensive abilities, i would look for him to only average 12 points a game, but about 9 assist and 6 rebounds a game, he effects the game alot more than just scoring..

Reactions: Bigbluecaleb
just based on the comparisons in this thread, hagans is apparently going to be awesome as he wants to be.

He is more Rondo like than anyone, you guys is too hellbent on comparison to a past Cal gaurd. He is nothing like Wall, Ulis or Knight, Harrison is probably a decent comparison, but he is nowhere offensively developed like Harrison. That is why i compare him to Rondo, because he still has a long way to go in his offense, but has excellent passing and defensive abilities, i would look for him to only average 12 points a game, but about 9 assist and 6 rebounds a game, he effects the game alot more than just scoring..

Insert "not sure if serious" gif. 12-9-6 lol. If those are his averages then hand us the dang trophy.

Reactions: Ron Mehico and BBUK
Yeah, I always take those reports with a grain of salt, but the stuff they said about SGA turned out to be true.
Yes, there have been times we've heard some exaggerations but other times they were accurate. And we should say, in most cases, the things we've heard since Cal has been the coach have been pretty accurate. In the final years of Tubby and then Gillispie, I think we were all grasping at straws, hoping for some glimmer of good news.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT