ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Some absolutely huge, epic battles coming out of the Slap Fighting sport these days. Quick hitters....

* I realize it was his debut when he faced E-Honda, but Kim Kong had one of the worst showings I've ever seen. Something just seemed off with the guy. Despite having all the physical tools, he committed a violation on nearly every slap, he mishit, had too many weak rounds, and really put himself into a huge deficit.

* Experts call this the greatest slap fight in history, and it's impossible to disagree:

The guts, the toughness, the mental fortitude.......these guys just refused to quit. An amazing show of courage and strength.

* You can't really stress enough how important technique is in Slapping. If you slap too deep, you risk a Clubbing penalty, but too thin, and you don't get any weight behind your slap. The best slappers can land their slaps just right, with enough heel to chin coverage to potentially land a knockout without getting penalized.

* Updated pound-for-pound rankings.....

1> White Simba
2> Monkey Wrench
3> Raven
4> Shamokin Thunder Clap
5> The Bell

* It's easy to look past the contribution of the referee, but Kyron Bowen does such an amazing job of keeping the Slapfight moving forward, upholding the rules, maintaining integrity, and showing a steady presence in each Slapfight. Kudos to his professionalism.

* Frank the Tank is an enigma. In his faceoff against The Bell, he arrogantly decided to go southpaw, not wanting to have an unfair advantage against the rookie. That backfired as he ended up losing due to TKO. The rematch was as legendary as you'd expect...

* Big ups to the local permitting authorities and governing body of Branson, Missouri. It's the perfect partnership for this burgeoning sport to grow and thrive for all future Slappers.

* Thoughts?

Am I the only one in here that just doesn’t get the appeal of wrestling? I mean it was cool and all when I was 16 but now???
It's fun to watch with a kid who has a rooting interest so I can root for the heel against their favorite face. I get a kick out of Shannon the Dude cheating his ass off.

Otherwise, meh.

It's not like Stoops doesn't want him back. Who wouldn't want an extra year of college?

Those old school photos BBDK posted brings fond memories of waiting for the Blue Ribbon Yearbook or Street and Smith's to arrive and thinking Tom Kleinschmidt was going to bring DePaul back to prominence or something similar. Knowledge was power.

Who Dey!

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Was not a fan of Packer but agree that you knew it was a big game when he was there. One of those deals where you really do not appreciate them until they are gone. Would put Vitale in that category as well. Annoying as heck but one of a kind that can’t be replaced.

Remember an SI article about Packer. He was always needling people, not afraid to criticize coaches, like Georgetown not pressing Villanova. Back in the day when break in tv action, he'd speak to the satellite feed viewers pre-real cable/satellite, "Hello you scumbags stealing this signal".
Growing up in the 70's, Saturday afternoons on NBC with Enberg and McGuire. The good old days.

ADVERTISEMENT