ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Is KSR big enough to attract some bigger name host full-time if Jones were to leave? They'd have to convert to a UK homer, of course.

I kind of figured that was part of the TJ Walker hiring - has had experience with hosting a show and is already a UK homer.

Reactions: funKYcat75

Kyle Tucker of SEC Country actually spoke with an NBA scout about Washington and other UK players testing the waters. The scout actually thinks Washington is staying in the draft.

“I think PJ is out — I’m pretty sure he’s going — and it’s a shame, because you just look at next year’s draft and there’s a lot more opportunity,” the scout said while adding, “They should all come back.”

[thumb2]

Reactions: Hankshaker
What makes KSR a hit isn’t just the sports discussion, it’s all the other stuff. Matt’s a great storyteller. He draws other topics out well enough to have a discussion. The genius (maybe that’s too generous of a word) of having Lemond on is that Matt can explain current events and news stories to him in a simple manner instead of sounding like he’s dumbing it down for his audience.... when that’s exactly what he’s doing. That’s how the show can still be entertaining when there’s zero sports news. The summer shows without Matt are rough... and the only ones that aren’t stale are the ones hosted by non-UK and/or non-sports guys.

Basically, Matt IS the show.

Kyle Tucker of SEC Country actually spoke with an NBA scout about Washington and other UK players testing the waters. The scout actually thinks Washington is staying in the draft.

“I think PJ is out — I’m pretty sure he’s going — and it’s a shame, because you just look at next year’s draft and there’s a lot more opportunity,” the scout said while adding, “They should all come back.”

[thumb2]

Is it better to be the 30th pick this year or the 15th pick next year? According to this website, stay in school:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-rookie-salary-scale-by-draft-year/

30th pick this year (anything after 30, nothing is guaranteed):
  • 2018-19: $1.32M
  • 2019-20: $1.58M
  • 2020-21: $1.69M
  • 3-Year Total: $4.59
15th pick next year:
  • 2018-19: On Scholarship
  • 2019-20: $2.71M
  • 2020-21: $2.84M
  • 3-Year Total: $5.55
Keep in mind, PJ is not even on the top 50 right now. Not sure what the hell he is thinking.

PJ may be the most frustrating. On a purely selfish note, he's easily the player we most need to come back.

But just from a rational perspective on what is best for him, it is utterly obvious that he needs to come back. He's an average size NBA 2 guard with absolutely no perimeter game. He's not anywhere near a Draymond Green who can guard 5 positions and bring shooting and playmaking on offense.

As an NBA prospect, I'm not sure I can think of someone less appealing right now for the modern NBA.

He's got a dad who seems smart and knows basketball. Typically when you see kids making idiotic decisions to go pro, it is when the family structure is non-existent.

I just don't get it.

PJ may be the most frustrating. On a purely selfish note, he's easily the player we most need to come back.

But just from a rational perspective on what is best for him, it is utterly obvious that he needs to come back. He's an average size NBA 2 guard with absolutely no perimeter game. He's not anywhere near a Draymond Green who can guard 5 positions and bring shooting and playmaking on offense.

As an NBA prospect, I'm not sure I can think of someone less appealing right now for the modern NBA.

He's got a dad who seems smart and knows basketball. Typically when you see kids making idiotic decisions to go pro, it is when the family structure is non-existent.

I just don't get it.

THIS is why Cal is pushing for the end of one and done. He is caught in a vicious cycle where kids feel like they are a failure if they come back for a 2nd year. PJ would be a 3-4 year guy at UNC.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Why are we assuming PJs dad is 'smart'? Isnt he the one that thinks PJ is a poor mans LeBron?

I'm not assuming that he is smart. But prior to PJ's decision, he always came across as a reasonable dude who loved his son. That's based on a handful of quotes from the lead-up to last season. He could be a blubbering idiot that makes Larry Orton look like Einstein for all I know.

That said, the "Poor Man's Lebron" stuff is about four different layers of hearsay so I take it with a crack rock-size grain of salt.

I'm sure PJ is serious about going but I don't think it's going to get him the feedback he wants.

Vando ain't going anywhere.

Just hope Gabriel comes back but can't be mad if he doesn't.

So, wait, you're all telling me that Jimmy_Buckets or whatever his name is, resident bracketologist for NBC Boston* *even though he never once shared an actual link to a story/bracket/video anything he actually produced on his twitter account didn't have the inside scoop on Green sitting out for a year to follow an assistant (that he didn't even commit to play for initially) to La Salle??? I'm FLOORED.

Wenyen Gabriel would likely be a solid seventh or eighth man next year behind Washington, Montgomery, and Vanderbilt. And next year's team doesn't look like it is going to be a juggernaut, even under the best of circumstances.

Terrence Jones is currently in the G League. Remember him? The guy who occasionally looked like the best player on the floor for a Final Four and a Championship squad? He's approximately eleventy billion times better than *ANY* of the players declaring early this year.

Shai and Knox are lottery picks so they have to go. The rest of these guys are simply delusional. And it might hurt them in the long-term.

Aaron Torres made a decent point on his last podcast --> there is a danger in declaring for the draft just to get feedback. It is the first impression these guys are (supposed) to have with NBA front offices.

What is Jarred Vanderbilt's first impression with an NBA front office going to be? "Hey guys, I can't work out or anything and there is no reason for me to be here. Just wanted to say hi!"

At least PJ Washington can get legit feedback, if he actually listens. I hope some NBA exec is kind of enough to tell him "Kid, you're 6'7, 220 tops. You ever heard of a kid named Darius Miller? He's from Kentucky. He's about your size. He played the 2 and 3 at Kentucky and he stays in the NBA for two reasons: 1, he can shoot and 2, he can defend 3 positions. You are shitty at both of those things right now. Become world class at those skills and we can talk. Until then, nobody gives a f*** about you flexing after a dunk. No one. Good day."

Just a lot more dumbass with this situation than you expect from people associated with Calipari.

Hank that is excellent insight on PJ Washington. Please continue to share anything on this whether it be your opinion or actual reporting by others.

Seriously keep us posted!

I said early on if we get 3 of 4 of Vanderbilt, Green, Gabriel, and Washington I would be happy. Getting the feeling Wenyen is coming back...if he was going he would just go the Hami route and get an agent. No one in the combine is going to give him a promise. Vanderbilt is just getting familiar with whatever parts of the process he can participate in for next year, I think?

PJ, he gone. His numbers are going to be good. Yes, he’s a 6’7” PF but with the reach of a 6’9” guy and will probably have a top 10 vertical. In a league where small ball is all the rage PJ can definitely play as a 4 and even at spells at the 5. I’m not saying he should, in fact, he shouldn’t and it’s dumb because I think he could move into late lottery in next year’s terrible draft. However, to suggest NBA teams won’t value him or give him some positive feedback is wrong...won’t surprise me if he does get a late first round promise.

If you're an IDGAF about these kids pro scout / front office guy, wouldn't the move be to encourage all marginal prospects to go pro in hopes that some other schlep GM picks one of these turkeys instead of the guy you want?

"Sure PJ, you're first round all the way. Don't let this leak to any other teams or media, okay?"

Reactions: Hankshaker
In a league where small ball is all the rage PJ can definitely play as a 4 and even at spells at the 5.
He can't, though, because he can't shoot (yet). That's the whole point of playing small ball - to flood the floor with shooters and guys who can defend everywhere. How has he shown he can do either? Him leaving would be possibly the dumbest decision a Cal player has made here. I'm serious.

And I'd bet my house that there's no such thing as a "first-round promise." "Well, this kid we really like somehow fell down to 29, buuuuuut we promised P.J. we'd take him so aw shucks man's only as good as his word." Sure.
True, but late first early second teams are hunting usually for the upside guy...basically betting that they can develop PJ into a reliable shooter.

Again, I think it’s stupid as well. But I’m just saying I think he’s going to go, get just enough positive feedback that keeps him in because that seems like what he wants to do...he’s been back channel preparing BBN for that.

wcc's dad really thought firing Billy Hatcher as 3rd base coach was the missing ingredient to a successful Reds season. He's wrong, but it was cute in a cool, old man kinda way. And he was drunk.

Showkilla isn't getting that same latitude from me this morning. No sir.

The list of NBA guys who entered the league without a shot, but developed one to the point it become an actual weapon is MILES long. 95% of 3/4/5 guys in the league now have a game that barely even resembles whatever they had even 3 years ago.

PJ is undersized, but underrated as an athlete. Marion, Millsap, Green, Jamison, Martin -- some of the guys he should strive to emulate in time while working on things in the DLeague or sitting at the end of the bench.

...or, he could come back, be an AA while competing for a Natty, and take advantage of next year's awful draft.

-Had a blast talking w/ Chad's dad...we got into some pretty heated arguments on the bus, they're amazingly alike all the way down to their little high pitched cackle. Guy seemed to be having a great time & very proud day.

-Well his last image of the season was missing 12 FT's and at 6'7" there's only so much wowwing he can do as a PF. Like I said, I'm sure he's very serious about going, but I don't think the NBA is serious about using a top 40 pick on him. If he returns, watch out. Don't care how bad the national guys want it, we're better than Kansas and Nova.

-UK finally catching up with the rest of the SEC and offering tailgate services. Much better idea than those stupid trailers.

-Westworld, meh. Only series I have left but I'm not going to wait long for it to get good.

-Not going to do it this year but the SEC Baseball Tourney with G is on the radar.

-WCC's dad is awesome. As is his BiL. The story of him meeting/first date with Chad's sister is outstanding. "Well I took her to a UK football game for our first date... so I figured this is about as good as I'm going to find."

Agree that PJ is the top guy I want back but disagree that he is - necessarily - THE key to the season.

A healthy Vanderbilt has more upside than PJ. And without all the stupid flexing and mean-mugging.

PJ is a dog but Vanderbilt just makes sh*t happen. And rebounds like all get-out.

Also disagree that next year's team won't be a juggernaut (Hank). Get 1 or 2 of the Big 3 back, and that's exactly what we'll be.

Per usual, I don’t even know what PTI is disagreeing with. I said PJ leaving is stupid but that I think NBA teams will give him enough positive feedback that he’ll do what he was predisposed to do anyway and go pro. Not exactly going out on a limb.

Maybe if I said the Cavs should trade Lebron to whatever team drafts PJ because Bron is an aging player who makes a ton of money he would agree with me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT