ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

If OU did not turn the ball over at will this would be a game right now. That said, Tenn is really good and appears has upgraded their defense enough to play at a Championship level now. Sucks but they hired the right coach that has an admin and fanbase that will spend whatever it takes to reclaim their 90’s glory.

The missus and I are getting an airbnb in Over the Rhine next weekend. Anyone got good restaurant recs? We are hoping to find a good pizza place that is walkable especially.

Couldn’t quite tell watching on tv but it seemed Vandagriff did a hell of a job advocating to go for it midfield on that one drive that ended with a TD. Think it was the Key hurdle drive.

Stoops shit the bed again later but that TD drive and his seemingly honest post-game acknowledgment of not being so terrible/conservative in those situations gave me a small inkling of hope.

The phrase “play to win the game” goes both ways and this offense clearly needed that confidence boost. Win was obvious yesterday but going forward it was a necessity.

The missus and I are getting an airbnb in Over the Rhine next weekend. Anyone got good restaurant recs? We are hoping to find a good pizza place that is walkable especially.

Pizza - Taglio is Detroit style. Cool place. If you’re open to other food options, let me know.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
I’m not going to go all UKO on EDLC, but I think he does need to change his approach at the plate. If you’re as fast as he is you don’t need to be striking out 200 times in a season.

Striking out > 200 times in a season is awful, even in today’s game where strikeouts are up considerably. But the difference is that I think you can strike out a lot and still be a great baseball player, which Elly is.

Mike Trout struck out 184 times his age-22 season, and won an MVP.
Shohei Ohtani struck out 189 times in 2021, and won an MVP.

It’s incredibly frustrating, but the game is just played differently now.

Nope EDLC sucks and I have 100 tweets that 14 people saw to prove it.

Another week another controversial KC win that has to do with DPI.

The Raiders are on the take. The NFL is a dog and pony show.

• Haha
Reactions: justa
Striking out > 200 times in a season is awful, even in today’s game where strikeouts are up considerably. But the difference is that I think you can strike out a lot and still be a great baseball player, which Elly is.

He’s so tall there is only so much he can do to shorten his swing. A lot of tall players struggle with k’s like Judge and back in the day guys like Dave Kingman and Richie Sexson.

Tony Clark had a substantially lower K rate so maybe they can take away something from someone like him but it would cost them some power numbers. I do wish he’d choke up with 2 strikes or in spots where the ball just needs to be put in play but hardly anyone does that anymore unfortunately.

Mike Trout went 36/111/.287 that year. He also led the league with 338 total bases.

Ohtani went 46/100/.257 (he also went 9-2 with a 3.18 era with 156 K's in 130 IP)

Horrible comparisons.

If you are going to K 210 times in a season, then you better be bringing the heat to the box and put up big time HR/RBI numbers.

And no, he isn't a "great" player by any stretch....he has the tools, but he needs to refine them and improve, dramatically. Bobby Witt is a "great" player and would be MVP this year were it not for #99 in NYC. That is who Elly needs to look at.

He had a good season for just his second in the league, but has a lot of work to do to take it to the next level, and that includes on the defensive side as well.

He’s so tall there is only so much he can do to shorten his swing. A lot of tall players struggle with k’s like Judge and back in the day guys like Dave Kingman and Richie Sexson.

Tony Clark had a substantially lower K rate so maybe they can take away something from someone like him but it would cost them some power numbers. I do wish he’d choke up with 2 strikes or in spots where the ball just needs to be put in play but hardly anyone does that anymore unfortunately.

For the most part, correct, however, you also have Dave Winfield who only K'd more than 100 times in 3 seasons.

Judge is not a good example, because he is actually a good hitter. The year he K'd 208 times, he went 52/114/.284. This year he will be above .300 for the second time in last 3 years.

Elly needs to keep learning....HR's needs to be an afterthought. 20-25 a season with a .290 avg should be his mark, and that will also increase his OBP, steals.

• Haha
Reactions: jayroon
Chipper Jones was on a podcast the other day where he said he doesn’t watch as many Braves games as he used to because the approach hitters are taking cause him to throw his flip flops at the TV. Specifically he’s mad at how they just don’t give af about striking out - especially in situations where they just need to put the ball in play to get base runners over.

Dave Kingman was waaay ahead of his time.

Reds need a Latino manager. He’ll allow the mañana attitude so well-befitting that club with the hairdos/necklaces/tomfoolery…where have you gone, Joey Votto?

Made a killer Sunday sauce with milled tomatoes & handmade pasta (cavatelli), meatballs, sazzich, short ribs… apple pie with an all-butter pie crust and hand-picked apples from Warwick NY. Just had to for the smells alone. Ate one meatball and one sausage. No pasta. No pie. Gave most to my sister and her fam.

Coffee beans from Reanimator Cafe (Kensington Blend) from Philly is my new obsession. Just killer espresso shots. Lucca M58 w/flow control performing wonderfully.

Yanks heating up just in time… who would’ve figured Jasson Dominguez👽🛸is proving to be a difference maker 🤨, lengthening the stubby lineup.

Steven Soles is legit.

Prolonging my weekend by posting this drivel. Sorry.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Mike Trout went 36/111/.287 that year. He also led the league with 338 total bases.

Ohtani went 46/100/.257 (he also went 9-2 with a 3.18 era with 156 K's in 130 IP)

Horrible comparisons.

If you are going to K 210 times in a season, then you better be bringing the heat to the box and put up big time HR/RBI numbers.

And no, he isn't a "great" player by any stretch....he has the tools, but he needs to refine them and improve, dramatically. Bobby Witt is a "great" player and would be MVP this year were it not for #99 in NYC. That is who Elly needs to look at.

He had a good season for just his second in the league, but has a lot of work to do to take it to the next level, and that includes on the defensive side as well.
The thing you continually gloss over is that Elly's numbers in his age 22 year were very similar to Witt's. What he's done already at his age is incredible.

Reactions: PTI (pti)
Chipper Jones was on a podcast the other day where he said he doesn’t watch as many Braves games as he used to because the approach hitters are taking cause him to throw his flip flops at the TV. Specifically he’s mad at how they just don’t give af about striking out - especially in situations where they just need to put the ball in play to get base runners over.
A lot of players nowadays are obsessed with launch angle above anything else unfortunately. And it has made its way into youth baseball instruction as well.

My advice for those of you with kids getting any type of baseball instruction from the likes of folks at places like Champions or D-Bat is to get as many eyes on your kid as possible over the years. Don't stick with one primary instructor, mix it up as a different set of eyes are beneficial in my opinion. This includes different hitting instructors at the same facilities.

For the most part, correct, however, you also have Dave Winfield who only K'd more than 100 times in 3 seasons.

Judge is not a good example, because he is actually a good hitter. The year he K'd 208 times, he went 52/114/.284. This year he will be above .300 for the second time in last 3 years.

Elly needs to keep learning....HR's needs to be an afterthought. 20-25 a season with a .290 avg should be his mark, and that will also increase his OBP, steals.

Speaking of bad examples, Dave Winfield was an anomaly with how low his K rate was given how tall he was.

This article is a little dated (2020), but it says only 13 players 6-6 or taller have recorded over 1,000 plate appearance which shows how hard it is for players that tall to stick in the league much less have low K rates. They mention some other examples like Stanton and Dunn.

Reactions: CSC81
Mickey Mantle lead the league in strikeouts 5 times. He turned out okay.

Todays obsession is about launch angle and exit velocity. Strikeouts just don’t mean what they used to, as much as I hate to say it.

So striking out a ton sucks, but you can still be a great player with the other tools you bring to the table. Elly is great. He’s incredible. And every single baseball person you ever talk to knows it, with the exception of this idiot from Nicholasville and his equally R-word brother.

Well, Dave Winfield is probably the only person that could talk sh*t to Bo Jackson, considering he was drafted in all three sports, and considered a can't miss in each of them.

Frank Thomas says, “Aloha, I have a boner.”

Clown, you try the Flair? It’s a cute lever machine but it prolly takes a bag of beans to dial that thing in. Hassle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT