ADVERTISEMENT

Guards and Wings That Pressure Full Court

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
There’s token ball pressure, then there’s “this guy is killing me” ball pressure. I don’t care how good a player is, no one likes having a pesky defensive player in their face full court. It may not lead to multiple turnovers. It does lead to fatigue.

This bumper crop of guards and wings allows Cal to put heavy ball pressure every possession. They appear to be able to be aggressive without constantly fouling. (There will be some adjustments to a tighter whistle.) This type of defensive pressure allows them to go all out while in the game instead of pacing themself. It speeds up the game and this defensive intensity removes frustration when they’re subbed out because they know they can’t keep it up for long stretches.

We have some ball hawks. This constant pressure will create havoc and wear down opposing players. I’ll take our backcourt rotation against any in college. For that matter, I’ll take our complete rotation against all the others. Guard play wins most NCAA tournaments and this defensive pressure will really shine on 2nd game of tourn weekends when there’s only 1 day between games.

Good post.

It's rare that you have guys with the mentality to do it and the sheer bodies it takes with the terrible college officiating.

I think Hagans and IQ are our two best all around guards, but it may be worth staggering them just to always have one on the floor to hound the ball.

Add to it that we're physical as hell on offense and the glass, and we're going to break some teams' spirits.

I was so impressed with the defensive pressure from Hagans and Quickley tonight

Defense wins games. Offense wins games. Hee Haw that’s my thought of the day. Back to Eastern State I go. See you all next time I break out.

We have to learn to keep our hands off of the ball handler though. I agree with everything you said, but these games haven't been called as tight as most games in the SEC will be called. If we do not learn to do that then we will have quick fouls on multiple players.

We have to learn to keep our hands off of the ball handler though. I agree with everything you said, but these games haven't been called as tight as most games in the SEC will be called. If we do not learn to do that then we will have quick fouls on multiple players.

Agree 100%, but expect it to happen. Hawkins was the best I’ve seen at being able to play aggressive defense with his hands in the air instead of on a player. (It’s not easy to run full speed in a perfect defensive stance. Most players want to put a forearm against a player.) Hagans, Quickley and Green will do the same. I like all 3 guards, but Hagans will cause other pg’s to have nightmares. He’s lightning quick and has a lot of Dominique Hawkins in him with more heigth, speed and better ball handling. Hawk ended up playing his best during big games. Hagans will shine brightest on the biggest stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT