ADVERTISEMENT

Greenville, TN

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
Anyone know anything about this area? May have a job opportunity there.

Anyone know anything about this area? May have a job opportunity there.

Small town, 15K or so I guess, located at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Tusculum College near by, maybe 50 miles or so from Knoxville. Always thought it was typical of towns one sees in east TN, east Ky, SW Va.

Small town, 15K or so I guess, located at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Tusculum College near by, maybe 50 miles or so from Knoxville. Always thought it was typical of towns one sees in east TN, east Ky, SW Va.
Thanks.

It's a pretty typical Appalachian type of town. Definitely 100% big orange country (some UNC fans and a decent number of UK fans from EKY). Lots of beautiful lakes and rivers in the area. Close to the smokies. Plenty of recreational options no matter what you like to get into. Seems to be a pretty safe area. Far enough removed from Knoxville to avoid city problems but close enough that you can easily drive down to watch a game or a show. Pretty part of the country.

It's a pretty typical Appalachian type of town. Definitely 100% big orange country (some UNC fans and a decent number of UK fans from EKY). Lots of beautiful lakes and rivers in the area. Close to the smokies. Plenty of recreational options no matter what you like to get into. Seems to be a pretty safe area. Far enough removed from Knoxville to avoid city problems but close enough that you can easily drive down to watch a game or a show. Pretty part of the country.
Hey thanks.

I have family in Johnson City which is only 30-40 minutes away and have a nephew that works at Tusculum College. I lived in Johnson City a little while and liked the area.

Is it in the mountains?

It's in the foothills of the mountains. It's a really nice place to live. Good schools academically and athletically. It's the home town of Andrew Johnson, the 15th president of the USA (who was impeached). It's within 60 miles of Knoxville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Jonesborough (oldest city in TN), Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol, and Asheville, NC. I'm currently in Greeneville working. I live in Kingsport. If you have a family it would be a great move. If you're single and you like the night life then you'll be driving a lot to Knoxville or Johnson City. Good luck.

Reactions: Cawood86
Just remember, the soundtrack of your new adventure will be "Rocky Top" every other song. Best of luck. Good location from what I'm reading.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Bulls Gap racetrack is close by, if you're a fan of that.

Worked for a little while in Midway, a little community just outside Greeneville.

Bulls Gap racetrack is close by, if you're a fan of that.

Worked for a little while in Midway, a little community just outside Greeneville.

That's a nice dirt track. They have the old starting pole from Bristol Motor Speedway when it was the Winston Cup.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
The high school is exceptional and the music program (former music teacher here) is outstanding. The General Morgan Inn is a classic place to stay and eat...nice place despite being in Big Orange country...

You'll probably note an inordinate amount of orange tinged hair - must be the orange clay based soil.

Hey Cawood, I grew up in West Tennessee about 20 miles from Greenfield. There's not much there. It's a very small town, just over 2000 population. UT Martin is about 20 minutes north. Martin isn't a very big place, either, but it's bigger than Greenfield. Union City, TN is about 30 minutes northwest. There is a really nice museum and park there called Discovery Park of America. I grew up in Rives, TN, which is just south of Union City. The largest city nearby is Jackson, TN, which is about 40 minutes south. That's where I went to college, at Union University. The thing I remember about Greenfield the most in my college days was that it was a speed trap. Now they've built a bypass around it, so you don't even have to go through town. 45E is the major highway through that area. It's in Weakley County.

From a sports point of view, you will run into a bunch of UT fans. There will likely be some UK basketball fans there too. Memphis fans are limited to Memphis area, which is about 2 hours south.

From a cultural standpoint, those folks are southern and country. Redneck would be an appropriate adjective. That doesn't bother me, personally. They are salt of the earth kind of people, simple and hospitable, unless you mess with their family or their truck. There are lots of hunters in that area. There isn't much industry or much in the way of retail stores, shopping, or restaurants. For that kind of thing, you'll have to travel to one of the aforementioned nearby towns or to Jackson if you want multiple options for excitement or entertainment.

IL I believe we spoke about this, but I grew up in dyersburg and attended union university myself for two years. My grandfather was the mayor of dyersburg dating back to the 80's and 90's maybe that's familiar? Small world.

But the OP was talking about Greenville, not Greenfield. My girlfriends uncle is a game warden in greenfield. If there's 2,000 people there I'd kiss my cousin :) thinking more like 200.

Last edited:
I lived in the Tri-Cities area 5 years in the mid 90s. In addition to the Smokies, Knoxville, and the Tri-Cities, there are lots of cool little towns and places to visit close by. Historic Jonesborough and Cumberland Gap are two that come to mind. Lots of rivers, streams, and lakes in the area.

Hey Cawood, I grew up in West Tennessee about 20 miles from Greenfield. There's not much there. It's a very small town, just over 2000 population. UT Martin is about 20 minutes north. Martin isn't a very big place, either, but it's bigger than Greenfield. Union City, TN is about 30 minutes northwest. There is a really nice museum and park there called Discovery Park of America. I grew up in Rives, TN, which is just south of Union City. The largest city nearby is Jackson, TN, which is about 40 minutes south. That's where I went to college, at Union University. The thing I remember about Greenfield the most in my college days was that it was a speed trap. Now they've built a bypass around it, so you don't even have to go through town. 45E is the major highway through that area. It's in Weakley County.

From a sports point of view, you will run into a bunch of UT fans. There will likely be some UK basketball fans there too. Memphis fans are limited to Memphis area, which is about 2 hours south.

From a cultural standpoint, those folks are southern and country. Redneck would be an appropriate adjective. That doesn't bother me, personally. They are salt of the earth kind of people, simple and hospitable, unless you mess with their family or their truck. There are lots of hunters in that area. There isn't much industry or much in the way of retail stores, shopping, or restaurants. For that kind of thing, you'll have to travel to one of the aforementioned nearby towns or to Jackson if you want multiple options for excitement or entertainment.

WTF do you have to do for effective moderator reading comprehension nowadays? LMAO . . . . btw, bravo on your cultural description of NW Tennesseans.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

It is not Greenfield. It is Greenville, Tn. located in East Tn near the Tri Cities area. Excellent location. They have a college and a minor league baseball team with one of the best minor league stadiums you will see. Great schools. High sCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM HAS WON THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP RECENTLY.

Relocated to Kingsport myself several years ago. Greeneville is a nice small town in Northeast Tennessee. If you like to hunt or fish, you will have ample opportunities with several different TVA lakes and several rivers for smallmouth and trout. Greene County has some of the prettiest rolling farm land in Tennessee and mountains in the southern part of the county that take you into North Carolina. Beautiful drive over to Asheville. A huge tobacco producing area at one time, but believe other crops have taken over since tobacco has become taboo. If you golf, there are some really nice courses within an hours drive in any direction as well.

Greeneville city schools are excellent and their sports programs have been pretty good for the last few years. Tusculum College (Div II) located there and they have a Appalachian League rookie team that plays in a beautiful stadium for that level.

You can be in Atlanta, Charlotte, Lexington, Nashville within four hours if you want to go see Cats or professional sports.

I really like the Greeneville area. Just good salt of the earth type people and enjoy a slower pace of life and really love the area they live in. Know several people who live or work down there who wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

If you got any questions, give me a shout here and I will try and answer as honestly as I can.

It is not Greenfield. It is Greenville, Tn. located in East Tn near the Tri Cities area. Excellent location. They have a college and a minor league baseball team with one of the best minor league stadiums you will see. Great schools. High sCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM HAS WON THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP RECENTLY.
Ah,.my mistake. I thought the original post said Greenfield. Disregard my entire post.

WTF do you have to do for effective moderator reading comprehension nowadays? LMAO . . . . btw, bravo on your cultural description of NW Tennesseans.
Yep, it was late and the end of a long day, and apparently I was brain dead. Ha! I've deleted it now.

Kingsporter here as well. The others have described it perfectly. Greeneville is a really nice town for it's size. Plenty of outdoor opportunities if you like to kayak or raft with the Nolichucky, which has great smallmouth fishing as well. Paint Creek has some good trout fishing and you can also make a short drive on 70 over to Hot Springs NC which offers some good trout fishing on Spring Creek, Big Laurel and Shelton Laurel as well as more great kayak/rafting and smallmouth action on the French Broad, and as has been stated, it's a short drive to Asheville.

I"m from Claiborne Co just north of there - Greenville plays within the district against what used to be "Powell Valley HS" and is now "Cumberland Gap HS"

I've always thought the region was beautiful - especially as you go up into the old Unaka / Appalachian mountains ..... max altitude probably about 4,000 feet ... I know it's more like 3,600 for Claiborne Co (with the Knoxville a/p being about 900 ft above sea level)

If you're into wildlife / flora / fauna or hiking - you'll love it
Knoxville and surrounding area is very accessible for more options by way of entertainment etc

Yes -- the Tennessee fans (as in ... all of my older siblings and 70% of my classmates growing up) are out in force -- they'll let you know it too

Enjoy!

Relocated to Kingsport myself several years ago. Greeneville is a nice small town in Northeast Tennessee. If you like to hunt or fish, you will have ample opportunities with several different TVA lakes and several rivers for smallmouth and trout. Greene County has some of the prettiest rolling farm land in Tennessee and mountains in the southern part of the county that take you into North Carolina. Beautiful drive over to Asheville. A huge tobacco producing area at one time, but believe other crops have taken over since tobacco has become taboo. If you golf, there are some really nice courses within an hours drive in any direction as well.

Greeneville city schools are excellent and their sports programs have been pretty good for the last few years. Tusculum College (Div II) located there and they have a Appalachian League rookie team that plays in a beautiful stadium for that level.

You can be in Atlanta, Charlotte, Lexington, Nashville within four hours if you want to go see Cats or professional sports.

I really like the Greeneville area. Just good salt of the earth type people and enjoy a slower pace of life and really love the area they live in. Know several people who live or work down there who wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

If you got any questions, give me a shout here and I will try and answer as honestly as I can.
Thanks man. Very helpful.

Thanks man. Very helpful.

Cawood, don't do it. I'm born Tennessee bred Kentucky. Don't be born Kentucky and bred Tennessee. It's not worth it. I was raised 35 minutes from the Kentucky line. My dream was to move to Kentucky as a child. That 30 minute seperation was torture.

When asked where I'm from when I go out into the world, I always say "I'm from a town in Deep South Kentucky 30 minutes from the Kentucky state line.

Hope this helps

ADVERTISEMENT