ADVERTISEMENT

Green is really good and when he starts running the team....

I would argue that defense is mostly effort period.

There are scores of examples of NBA PGs who are horrible on defense but are starters and even All-Stars because of offense. I will let you tell us the ones who meet these same criteria because they are very good defensively or just have good measurables, but are not good offensively.

There 10 million Alexander's with great measurables that will never sniff the league because the #1 job of every PG is to run the offense - not the D.

You're right, there's a ton of 5'11" PGs with average athleticism in the NBA.

You're right, there's a ton of 5'11" PGs with average athleticism in the NBA.

You brought up the NBA.

I simply provided the fact that the NBA is looking for offensive production from a PG, not defense. Please see Kyrie, Hardin and several more.

I don't care how great a defender you may be, if you cannot run an offense and handle the ball you are not playing in the league. Also, PG is the last position that measurables come into play.

If you have an example of a great defender but poor dribbling, passing and unable to run the offense NBA starting PG please provide the name.

I agree with this. Green is by far the best guy for the pg spot. Alexander can be a serviceable backup, but he is not someone you want as your primary ball handler if you want an efficient offense.
Green is going to torch a lot of teams when Cal gets these guys going on offense. He is an exceptional shooter and is really developing a nice floater. He just needs to get to the point where he drives the lane looking to set other up.
Right now it's every man for himself out there. It just looks like Cal hasn't even started teaching offense yet.
If I was in Quade's shoes I would be watching tape of Tyler Ulis non-stop. Watch how he controlled the offense and how he was able to get to his spots on the floor. Of course, the other 4 on the floor need to be in the correct positions on the floor too. Spacing is key.

He has a decent outside shot. Add to that the little runner in the lane with the option to oop to whoever is there will make us tough to guard. I don't think will ever be like fox where he can get to the rim at will. Tyler wasn't like that either. If he had those other tools and we very effective. I'll take it.

Reactions: brianpoe
As of today, I don't think either has NBA potential.

I don't disagree with @robman181 perspective of the lack of athletic ability and other measurables Green simply does not possess.

As to Shai, you cannot teach PG instincts. Shai is a good ball player and does very well creating for himself, even if he improves his dribbling and passing the intangibles just are not there.

That said, all I am worried about is their time at UK and Green is the PG this season.

Shai is not a natural PG by any stretch. If he is our starter we will be in trouble in my opinion.

Green is world's better on the offensive end as Alexander is on the defensive side.

Defense can be learned much easier than running the offense with natural instincts and PG is the only position I believe Cal will accept O over D.
Totally agree. Shai should not be playing point guard at all...he's not fast enough, nor is he a good enough scorer, yet. Scorer as in keeping the D honest with the deep ball threat.

A lot of fans were questioning this week about our PG position. Green will be very good by the time SEC rounds around. His defense tonight looked a little better. This is a very young team and they will learn.

A little better? Quade guarded his ass off today vs Sexton! Most will notice what he did when Sexton had the ball, but Quade's defense on Sexton when he didn't have the ball was outstanding!

ADVERTISEMENT