ADVERTISEMENT

Green is really good and when he starts running the team....

Take whats best.

I don't like the idea of "he needs to take 5 shots per game." He's also a PG so i really don't like 5 shots guaranteeing him. Take it when he's feeling it or his team needs someone to score. That's so important for PG. Knowing when to score i think is critical.

Reactions: chroix
A lot of fans were questioning this week about our PG position. Green will be very good by the time SEC rounds around. His defense tonight looked a little better. This is a very young team and they will learn.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
He also takes pressure off Gilgeous-Alexander to he the primary playmaker. Shai plays better coming off the bench. Plays more loose.

Reactions: brianpoe
Take whats best.

I don't like the idea of "he needs to take 5 shots per game." He's also a PG so i really don't like 5 shots guaranteeing him. Take it when he's feeling it or his team needs someone to score. That's so important for PG. Knowing when to score i think is critical.

It was a figure if speech man. And this team needs shooting. Why are you always so argumentative? It gets old.

Reactions: natchezrule
A lot of fans were questioning this week about our PG position. Green will be very good by the time SEC rounds around. His defense tonight looked a little better. This is a very young team and they will learn.

Questioning the PG spot for good reason, and not just posters but national media.

It is obvious that we have one that is better at running the offense that is lacking on the defensive end badly and another who simply isnt a natural PG but is a good defender.

Cal's teams must have a solid PG. Thus the questioning, to me, is very much warranted. I do agree that both will get better and Green will establish the position as his.

Questioning the PG spot for good reason, and not just posters but national media.

It is obvious that we have one that is better at running the offense that is lacking on the defensive end badly and another who simply isnt a natural PG but is a good defender.

Cal's teams must have a solid PG. Thus the questioning, to me, is very much warranted. I do agree that both will get better and Green will establish the position as his.
I agree with this. Green is by far the best guy for the pg spot. Alexander can be a serviceable backup, but he is not someone you want as your primary ball handler if you want an efficient offense.
Green is going to torch a lot of teams when Cal gets these guys going on offense. He is an exceptional shooter and is really developing a nice floater. He just needs to get to the point where he drives the lane looking to set other up.
Right now it's every man for himself out there. It just looks like Cal hasn't even started teaching offense yet.
If I was in Quade's shoes I would be watching tape of Tyler Ulis non-stop. Watch how he controlled the offense and how he was able to get to his spots on the floor. Of course, the other 4 on the floor need to be in the correct positions on the floor too. Spacing is key.

Talk to anyone that's played on any level of college basketball and they'll tell you the same thing; defense was the hardest thing to learn when during their first season. Green seems to be the type of player that will put work into his defense and he will get better. The kid shows a lot of poise for someone running the point at UK, which we all know draws a ton of scrutiny. IMO, he'll develop into our leader before long.

Love this board .. Guy has a bad game and he's the worst thing going. Has a good game and the sky's the limit. Whatever.

Reactions: G-PIP
I hope he returns. He could be a special player his sophomore year, and a POY candidate his junior year.

Neither point guard has a chance at a 1st Round pick this season, and I'd bet a ton they wouldn't get chosen in the 2nd round either (from what we have seen thus far).

Brunson
Sexton
Duvall
Berry
Jalen Adams
Landry Shamet
Thomas Wilder
Holiday (UCLA)
Lamar Peters
Milton (SMU) and Melton (USC) will be picked and tried as PG's

This does not include any foreign players who may enter the draft. These 11 US players will take up both the 1st and 2nd Rounds.

Neither of our kids would be chosen over any player on this list. They both have promise and will be very good next season. I'm anxious to watch the battle with Quickly and these two as sophomores.

He lo0oked like a totally different play last night, I loved it. But he didnt have any assists i dont think...1 if any.

I like Shai better. His defense is much better
I like his size. He also will be a better facilitator by years end

Shai is not a natural PG by any stretch. If he is our starter we will be in trouble in my opinion.

Green is world's better on the offensive end as Alexander is on the defensive side.

Defense can be learned much easier than running the offense with natural instincts and PG is the only position I believe Cal will accept O over D.

I am not as worried about the point as I am the 5 spot. Richards looks totally lost and can't seem to hold on the ball. SKJ has improved but I worry about his strength.

Great point.

We really have no offense from the post whatsoever.

And will either become a true rim protector?

Yeah, I agree that neither he nor SA are good enough to be OAD. We should be more than set at guard position next year. Green, Alexander, Quickley, Herro and Baker if he stays.

We should be really, really good even if we don't get Zion, assuming we have SKJ and either NR or this unknown big that Matt Jones keeps hinting at. The way Jones is talking about him, it sounds like he thinks it's a done deal but for some reason can't even name the guy.

To me, the offense is stagnant when SGA is running it. He just makes horrible decisions, especially when in the lane. Right now, SGA should only get spot minutes at PG.

To me, the offense is stagnant when SGA is running it. He just makes horrible decisions, especially when in the lane. Right now, SGA should only get spot minutes at PG.

His decision making is poor. It’s like his mind is moving way too fast. Let him and Diallo fight it out for minutes.

Neither point guard has a chance at a 1st Round pick this season, and I'd bet a ton they wouldn't get chosen in the 2nd round either (from what we have seen thus far).

Brunson
Sexton
Duvall
Berry
Jalen Adams
Landry Shamet
Thomas Wilder
Holiday (UCLA)
Lamar Peters
Milton (SMU) and Melton (USC) will be picked and tried as PG's

This does not include any foreign players who may enter the draft. These 11 US players will take up both the 1st and 2nd Rounds.

Neither of our kids would be chosen over any player on this list. They both have promise and will be very good next season. I'm anxious to watch the battle with Quickly and these two as sophomores.
I agree they won’t have good draft position, if any at all. My only hesitation on predicting a 100% return is that this is Kentucky. I do agree that both SHOULD return.

He had 3 actually. But he was definitely looking to score first last night.

Yes. When he's looking to score he can and he also opens things up for others as he has to be attended to. I'm having a blast watching this team inch forward .

Shai is not a natural PG by any stretch. If he is our starter we will be in trouble in my opinion.

Green is world's better on the offensive end as Alexander is on the defensive side.

Defense can be learned much easier than running the offense with natural instincts and PG is the only position I believe Cal will accept O over D.

This couldn't be any more wrong. Defense is mostly length, athleticism and effort. No one questions Greens effort but unless he grows 3 inches, gets about a 6 inches longer wingspan, and suddenly becomes a world class athlete, he's always going to struggle on defense. Shai, still has the way higher upside. I'm glad we have them both but tell an NBA GM he gets one or the other and every GM takes Shai because his measurables on defense.

This couldn't be any more wrong. Defense is mostly length, athleticism and effort. No one questions Greens effort but unless he grows 3 inches, gets about a 6 inches longer wingspan, and suddenly becomes a world class athlete, he's always going to struggle on defense. Shai, still has the way higher upside. I'm glad we have them both but tell an NBA GM he gets one or the other and every GM takes Shai because his measurables on defense.

Tyler Ulis just laughed/spit in your face. Green's your PG this year, and he'll be a very good one.

Edgar this is your best post ever and I totally concur.

I would argue that defense is mostly effort period.

There are scores of examples of NBA PGs who are horrible on defense but are starters and even All-Stars because of offense. I will let you tell us the ones who meet these same criteria because they are very good defensively or just have good measurables, but are not good offensively.

There 10 million Alexander's with great measurables that will never sniff the league because the #1 job of every PG is to run the offense - not the D.

ADVERTISEMENT