ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest High School Program in Kentucky History

The best high school game I ever attended was when my school Ballard played Male in the Regional final in 1976. A couple of fellow juniors (Jeff Lamp-knew well and Lee Raker- not as well) led the way while Griffith and Bobby Turner were seniors for Male. Mark Snyder was a Sr for Ballard and could shoot the lights out. We won 62-60 to head to the Sweet 16. Jerry Eaves was a soph.

We got beat by Lex Henry Clay that Sweet 16, but won it all the next year, beating Valley
I was on that Male team - crushing loss Snider was unbelievable I think Ballard shot 73% or something crazy in that game Griffith had several goaltending calls against him

Louisville Male because I played there 😃 nice group of players right off top of my head

Griffith Turner Bennett Osborne Obannon Bacon Cox Beard

Ballard is right there if not ahead though
The 76 regional final game had
Eaves Raker Lamp Miller.
Versus
Griffith Turner Mack

Can’t find that talent now days on one floor
Only went to Male my sophmore year(66-67) and Bacon was a sr l think. Two brothers played on b/b fb championship teams. One brother played fb, bb ,baseball. Grew up about a block from Male and attended many , many games in the old gym and at Maxwell .

No winning with this conversation. Both Lex & Looser have have strong teams over the years. Not best team...best program. Wow...certainly many bragging rights. It's what makes this forum great! Don't be mad...just support your post!

I remember back in the days when everyone was brainwashed that no'one could compete with these schools. Now we know better. Much like the college game today!

No winning with this conversation. Both Lex & Looser have have strong teams over the years. Not best team...best program. Wow...certainly many bragging rights. It's what makes this forum great! Don't be mad...just support your post!

I remember back in the days when everyone was brainwashed that no'one could compete with these schools. Now we know better. Much like the college game today!
Busing and school consolidation changed that.

Reactions: MasonCoBlue
The single greatest season is the one that saved the sweet 16!!!! 1976 Edmonson County. The only time the school has ever been close to making it to state. Won it. True cinderella story.
Little known fact... That team lost the district championship game.

What about a shout out to Cuba Ky. They had like 7 players and won it all.. Howie Crittenden WAS Jimmy Chipwood

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT