ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest High School Program in Kentucky History

2Adulterers

Senior
Aug 11, 2015
Interesting subject reading the dweebs on Little Brother.com they suggested Ballard probably because many of their players went to Uavel
I believe Louisville Seneca (my school) may be right there at the top George Unseld (Kansas)
Mike Redd Mr Basketball,Wes Unseld Louisville AA,NBA Hall of Fame Tony Kimbro (Louisville)Seneca won 1963and 1964 KHSAA State Championships also 1968 Runner Up

Reactions: awf
Male has the most Mr. Kentucky basketballs with 5.... but not sure if thats a good way to judge the best program all time.

Reactions: 2Adulterers
Lexington Lafayette won it all in 1942, '50, '53, '57, '79, and 2001.
Louisville Male won it all in 1945, '70, '71, and '75.
Owensboro Senior won it all in 1949, '72, '80, and 2015.
Louisville Ballard won it all in 1977, '88, and '99.
Louisville Fairdale won it all in 1990, '91, and '94.

Honorable Mention:
Lexington Henry Clay won it all 6 times - the last in 1983, but 5 of those were before 1930.
Louisville St. X won it all 4 times - the last in 1958 and 1962, but the others were before 1936.
Ashland Blazer won it all 4 times - the last in 1961, but the others were before 1936.
Louisville Manual won it all 4 times, but the last was in 1931.

All of the following won it all twice: Breckenridge County, Louisville Central, Covington Catholic, Hazard, Inez, Mason County, Scott County, Louisville Seneca, Shelby County, and Louisville Trinity.

I'd have to say Wes Unseld is the greatest basketball player to play high school ball in KY.
But there'll never be another King Kelly Coleman !

Best to all.

Last edited:

Honorable Mention:
Lexington Henry Clay won it all 6 times - the last in 1983, but 5 of those were before 1930.
Ashland Blazer won it all 4 times - the last in 1961, but the other 3 were

I do find it interesting that lot of those schools haven't won in quite a while. Is Kentucky just that spread out with talent? Won't mention my high school we are known for single digit win seasons :)

If you consider Maysville/Mason County as one, there is some very strong performance and tradition for decades there.

Reactions: Deacon Jim
If it’s the greatest Ky high school program then it’s Trinity football. Basketball is difficult to say

The Male team with Darrell Griffith was pretty good

The best high school game I ever attended was when my school Ballard played Male in the Regional final in 1976. A couple of fellow juniors (Jeff Lamp-knew well and Lee Raker- not as well) led the way while Griffith and Bobby Turner were seniors for Male. Mark Snyder was a Sr for Ballard and could shoot the lights out. We won 62-60 to head to the Sweet 16. Jerry Eaves was a soph.

We got beat by Lex Henry Clay that Sweet 16, but won it all the next year, beating Valley

The best high school game I ever attended was when my school Ballard played Male in the Regional final in 1976. A couple of fellow juniors (Jeff Lamp-knew well and Lee Raker- not as well) led the way while Griffith and Bobby Turner were seniors for Male. Mark Snyder was a Sr for Ballard and could shoot the lights out. We won 62-60 to head to the Sweet 16. Jerry Eaves was a soph.

We got beat by Lex Henry Clay that Sweet 16, but won it all the next year, beating Valley
Great talent in that game.

Honorable Mention:
Louisville St. X won it all 4 times - the last in 1958 and 1962, but the others were before 1936.
Ashland Blazer won it all 4 times - the last in 1961, but the others were before 1936.

All of the following won it all twice: Breckenridge County, Louisville Central, Covington Catholic, Hazard, Inez, Mason County, Scott County, Louisville Seneca, Shelby County, and Louisville Trinity.

I'd have to say Wes Unseld is the greatest basketball player to play high school ball in KY.

Best to all.

unfortunate Ashland didn’t get to cap their undefeated season this past year.

Honorable Mention:

Best to all.

Scott County only has 2 titles but they've also lost in the championship game 5 other times (including the last two years). I'd argue that SC has been the most consistent program in the last 25 years. Ballard would be a close 2nd.

Reactions: Jdhays21
INEZ two titles in a HS with less than 100 boys in the entire school.
My great uncle was a four time all region player at Prestonsburg High School in the '30's. Told me they were always good but just couldn't get past Inez in the Regionals. Inez pretty much dominated the region during those days and I believe they won two titles.

i saw the Male team in person at Betsy Layne against Dan Halls team I think
I recall when Louisville Central played a game at McDowell during the '70's and ended up losing. I'm sure there were more than a few "questionable" calls.

My great uncle was a four time all region player at Prestonsburg High School in the '30's. Told me they were always good but just couldn't get past Inez in the Regionals. Inez pretty much dominated the region during those days and I believe they won two titles.

Inez won the State Tournament in 1941 and again in 1954.
Alex Harmon, Joe Kirk, and Lester West all made the All-Tournament team for Inez in '41.
In '54, Billy Ray Cassady and Herbie Triplett made the All-Tournament team for Inez. Cassady played at U.K., 1956-58. He was a senior on the Cats' 1958 NCAA Championship team.

Inez won the State Tournament in 1941 and again in 1954.
Alex Harmon, Joe Kirk, and Lester West all made the All-Tournament team for Inez in '41.
In '54, Billy Ray Cassady and Herbie Triplett made the All-Tournament team for Inez. Cassady played at U.K., 1956-58. He was a senior on the Cats' 1958 NCAA Championship team.
I knew they were a powerhouse for a long time but wasn't sure when they won State.

I recall when Louisville Central played a game at McDowell during the '70's and ended up losing. I'm sure there were more than a few "questionable" calls.
That gym floor wasn’t even regulation size. Fans could touch players. I was assistant coach in a game and McDowell was trailing late and the clock operator keep stopping the clock

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Lex Cath and Mason Co had some epic games in early 2000’s. Games were sold out and even played at Memorial and on local TV.

Honorable Mention:

Best to all.
Wes was one hell of a player, one of my favorites when he played in the NBA !

That gym floor wasn’t even regulation size. Fans could touch players. I was assistant coach in a game and McDowell was trailing late and the clock operator keep stopping the clock
I vaguely remember that game but as I recall, it went down to the last possession.

Reactions: TNCatfanforever
They used to be some really good shooters come out of Martin County. When Inez didn’t have a great team then Warfield did. Their was always a Steep brother who could fill it up.
We played at the old Warfield gym when I was in HS and I believe it was 1972. Place was packed and Joe Stepp lit us up that night.

Any answer that isn't Scott County is wrong. Also, Matt Walls should have won Mr. Basketball over Pettigrew.

You haven't lived until you've played in one of those old gyms in Eastern Kentucky and you're the visiting team. We were playing an elementary school game at the old Garrett gym and a fan pulled a lead pipe on one of our reserve players who was sitting at the end of the bench. As we were leaving there was a mob outside that kept throwing rocks and bottles at our bus and this was elementary school basketball.

Shelby County versus Central High LIT 1966. Played at the old Armory.
Hell of a game

Louisville Male because I played there 😃 nice group of players right off top of my head

Griffith Turner Bennett Osborne Obannon Bacon Cox Beard

Ballard is right there if not ahead though
The 76 regional final game had
Eaves Raker Lamp Miller.
Versus
Griffith Turner Mack

Can’t find that talent now days on one floor

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT