ADVERTISEMENT

Grant

I think UK's AD has done an exceptional job. BB was always on top and in reality probably is with a majority of the UK fanbase, but he has elevated the baseball program, football program and several of the ladies programs. All the while having to fight like crazy for funding because many of the old guard was afraid he would pull a dollar the BB program might want.

This post is for the education of one of our best posters that needs some background IMO, if you don't like my posting of the FACTS don't read them.

Excuse me.

I usually agree with almost all of your posts, but------

Tell me ONE thing mitch did for football above the bare minimum his first TEN years at UK, while coming back from damaging probation (Bama did something),ie a recruiting budget 60% of basketballs for FIVE times the recruits, an operating budget for EIGHTY FIVE rides (in a much more expensive sport) than for THIRTEEN in basketball (over six times as many) that was only about 8% higher than basketball's the one year I checked it, about 2010 (when things really started falling apart, and when the SEC first started throwing extra money around, "only" about $5,000,000 extra that year------due to SEC FOOTBALL), the picture of the "recruiting room" that he allowed to stay in the headlines forever, (the one Tee lied about?), the stupid "microwave fans" comment by our PR man for athletics-------with NO apologies, AND insisting that UK football fans couldn't donate to football projects, it had to go through his channels..

Did you know he kept Brown on in his new position of "Co-DC" (in name only) so he wouldn't have to pay his "buyout", which was about TWO PERCENT of Stoops now (since the strike). Did you know that Brooks started at $700,000 a year and after eight years of GREAT work (with the support he had) ended up at $900,000, an average raise of less that 3% a year if you compound it. Did you know the scoreboards that were supposed to be replaced in ten years when built (any improvements in flat screen TVs in those ten years?) lasted twelve years until it cost us a lot of tailgaters, and the money that couldn't possibly be raised before then was replaced in a day when the faculty objected to the LOAN-------he worried about them about as much as he did the bluebloods. Did you know Brooks gave Joker part of his own salary to keep him when Bama came sniffing around?

He couldn't find a couple thousand to replace the folding chairs AND projection screen in the corner of a warehouse they called a "recruiting room" (but found $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere, that should show those microwave fans" who is in charge), that was actually used for about 15 years.

I love UK's minor sports, loved watching our guy win the indoor AND outdoor NCAA Decathlon championships, and our Freshman McLaughlin is a marvel, and did you know our Rifle team is the National Champion (do you know how much money that brought in)? Part of his personal goal to finish in the top ten of the All Sports Trophy? NOTHING BUT THE BARE MINIMUM for anything football, that brought in $18,000,000 in 2010 on a starvation diet while basketball that had EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE cleared about $5,000,000.

No, my point is not that the minor sports shouldn't have been improved, but where did the money to improve them come from (money talks, BS walks, shown in football now, he spent money) when he couldn't find an extra penny to improve the emerging MONEY COW that other SEC schools were investing in. My point is that he would have had MORE money for the minor sports if he had supported FOOTBALL at more than a BARE MINIMUM level for his first DECADE.

Losing almost TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders for the last FIVE years or so probably cost UK more than he spent on the minor sports, and he probably lost that much more in lost donations from the "microwave fans".

So, what do you think about the novel idea that our football hero saved football (that wasn't in bad shape in 2007) by driving it BELOW ground ON PURPOSE in order to get the support he needed for it, and the ONLY reason it survived is because of the success of the OTHER SEC FOOTBALL teams, that replaced the money he LOST in football, PLUS-------and if he could see the money football was going to bring in why did he try to starve it to death?.

Last edited:
Jauk11,you still don’t get it! Mitch never had the unilateral authority to do anything financially to the UK football program,JUST like all the other ADs ,because the shadow administration,that allowed(ran off) Bear Bryant 60 years,controlled the check book and Did Not want any challenge to basketball supremacy and in turn the fanbase! The minor sports weren’t a challenge,but football,being the most popular college sport,would according to the shadow administration,threaten the laser focus of the fanbase on basketball,thus diminishing their side benefits they got from basketball,that average fans did not know about. Since the Joker fan revolt,all of the financial pressure from that implosion,has made the shadow administration reluctantly,but out of financial necessity,embrace the football program,to the extent that will hopefully be minimumly successful enough,to stop the financial bleeding. Amen,if you don’t understand now!
Law , every time I think about this situation the name HOWARD SCHNELLENBERGER always comes to mind . The absolute biggest TWO mistakes by two BB ONLY ads in UK history...u6 ad wasn't so stupid and look what he did for them. Plus, at their football facilities they put football players/coaches names on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: law1127
This post is for the education of one of our best posters that needs some background IMO, if you don't like my posting of the FACTS don't read them.

Excuse me.

I usually agree with almost all of your posts, but------

Tell me ONE thing mitch did for football above the bare minimum his first TEN years at UK, while coming back from damaging probation (Bama did something),ie a recruiting budget 60% of basketballs for FIVE times the recruits, an operating budget for EIGHTY FIVE rides (in a much more expensive sport) than for THIRTEEN in basketball (over six times as many) that was only about 8% higher than basketball's the one year I checked it, about 2010 (when things really started falling apart, and when the SEC first started throwing extra money around, "only" about $5,000,000 extra that year------due to SEC FOOTBALL), the picture of the "recruiting room" that he allowed to stay in the headlines forever, (the one Tee lied about?), the stupid "microwave fans" comment by our PR man for athletics-------with NO apologies, AND insisting that UK football fans couldn't donate to football projects, it had to go through his channels..

Did you know he kept Brown on in his new position of "Co-DC" (in name only) so he wouldn't have to pay his "buyout", which was about TWO PERCENT of Stoops now (since the strike). Did you know that Brooks started at $700,000 a year and after eight years of GREAT work (with the support he had) ended up at $900,000, an average raise of less that 3% a year if you compound it. Did you know the scoreboards that were supposed to be replaced in ten years when built (any improvements in flat screen TVs in those ten years?) lasted twelve years until it cost us a lot of tailgaters, and the money that couldn't possibly be raised before then was replaced in a day when the faculty objected to the LOAN-------he worried about them about as much as he did the bluebloods. Did you know Brooks gave Joker part of his own salary to keep him when Bama came sniffing around?

He couldn't find a couple thousand to replace the folding chairs AND projection screen in the corner of a warehouse they called a "recruiting room" (but found $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere, that should show those microwave fans" who is in charge), that was actually used for about 15 years.

I love UK's minor sports, loved watching our guy win the indoor AND outdoor NCAA Decathlon championships, and our Freshman McLaughlin is a marvel, and did you know our Rifle team is the National Champion (do you know how much money that brought in)? Part of his personal goal to finish in the top ten of the All Sports Trophy? NOTHING BUT THE BARE MINIMUM for anything football, that brought in $18,000,000 in 2010 on a starvation diet while basketball that had EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE cleared about $5,000,000.

No, my point is not that the minor sports shouldn't have been improved, but where did the money to improve them come from (money talks, BS walks, shown in football now, he spent money) when he couldn't find an extra penny to improve the emerging MONEY COW that other SEC schools were investing in. My point is that he would have had MORE money for the minor sports if he had supported FOOTBALL at more than a BARE MINIMUM level for his first DECADE.

Losing almost TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders for the last FIVE years or so probably cost UK more than he spent on the minor sports, and he probably lost that much more in lost donations from the "microwave fans".

So, what do you think about the novel idea that our football hero saved football (that wasn't in bad shape in 2007) by driving it BELOW ground ON PURPOSE in order to get the support he needed for it, and the ONLY reason it survived is because of the success of the OTHER SEC FOOTBALL teams, that replaced the money he LOST in football, PLUS-------and if he could see the money football was going to bring in why did he try to starve it to death?.

Juak I don't have any idea what he did before Stoops arrived, so I will agree with you that he did very little to help the football, baseball or the minor sports. I also don't know if he had the backing from the big boosters to do anything, I think it is safe to say that the majority of them favored basketball pre Stoops and didn't allow him to put the funds into other sports needed to be competitive in fear it would take away from basketball. But with the SEC network and other TV deals cash started pouring in so fast they couldn't spend it all on basketball. Since all that happened UK has upgraded football, softball track and field, baseball, added indoor tennis facilities, he is making UK an attractive destination for both athletes and coaches and recent improved success of programs is showing that. His previous 10 years are kind of like ballgames from 10 years ago, the results are there but they have nothing to do with what is going on now. Look at what he has done for the whole of UK athletics,, I would swap UGA's ticket counter for him in a heartbeat.

Juak I don't have any idea what he did before Stoops arrived, so I will agree with you that he did very little to help the football, baseball or the minor sports. I also don't know if he had the backing from the big boosters to do anything, I think it is safe to say that the majority of them favored basketball pre Stoops and didn't allow him to put the funds into other sports needed to be competitive in fear it would take away from basketball. But with the SEC network and other TV deals cash started pouring in so fast they couldn't spend it all on basketball. Since all that happened UK has upgraded football, softball track and field, baseball, added indoor tennis facilities, he is making UK an attractive destination for both athletes and coaches and recent improved success of programs is showing that. His previous 10 years are kind of like ballgames from 10 years ago, the results are there but they have nothing to do with what is going on now. Look at what he has done for the whole of UK athletics,, I would swap UGA's ticket counter for him in a heartbeat.
Grump, my biggest thing with MB is his willingness to pull the trigger for contract extensions for coaches and pay them salaries not fitting their results. We have two on campus right now. As far as giving all theses coaches the things they need to be successful he has done great even with all the roadblocks in his way that several of us have talked about, but some are too hardheaded/stupid to get.

Last edited:
Grump, my biggest thing with MB is his willingness to pull the trigger for contract extensions for coaches and pay them salaries not fitting their results. We have two on campus right now. As far as giving all theses coaches the things they need to be successful he has done great even with all the roadblocks in his way that several of us have talked about, but some are too harded/stupid to get.

My opinion of buyouts is they shouldn't exist, they won't keep a coach if another comes calling because the buyout isn't coming from the coach and if hasn't won enough to retain the job why reward him for not doing a good job. It's win win for the coach, he does great, another program comes alone offering to pay the buyout and give him a big raise, if he does bad he gets paid millions to not work, unless the school can show cause, losing isn't a cause, but that's part of the bargaining now..

I was just giving my opinion as someone outside the program oh how UK athletics looks to other fan bases as far as program success go. All aren't at the level UK fans want, but quite a few are doing very well and improving and doing well for a state with a small population.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Congrats, you got the mandatory like from Slugger for any post critical of my posts.

Don't you think that is a pretty impressive list for someone in charge of football spending when it was emerging as the money cow? What would he have done if the OTHER crazy sums primarily from FOOTBALL hadn't been made available because of OTHER programs? TENS of millions he lost from football, but rolling in cash because of over $40,000,000 rolling in EVERY year because others didn't fall asleep. mitch gave Brooks about a THREE PERCENT raise a year for eight years when Brooks saved his A$$. Joker was making about twice what Brooks ended up making when he was fired--------AND collected his millions another year or two-------for NOTHING.

Sure, I think football is in good shape now, he was LUCKY, and what choice did he have but to spend that money on football to try to stop the bleeding, about TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket sales lost STILL and tens of millions in donations, you should have read the LONG running thread on here where HUNDREDS of fans (that said they wanted to donate) swore to never donate a cent to football as long as he was in charge of the money, ie the KFund.

NOT a football hero, and irritating as hell for some to make him out to be one when he had NO CHOICE but to spend a lot of the new money on football, THE MONEY COW in today's sports world, where TV runs the show-------but where there is still a lot of money in attendance (and fan involvement) and a lot of programs still average OVER 100,000 fans for all their hone games, Georgia probably over 80,000 with their stadium.

The situation was so bad some fans even propose that mitch DELIBERATELY ran football into the ground (and lost untold millions of public money in the process) in order to get more support for football, an idea that Slugger is all over because it gives him another way to attack me, I doubt if he even believes a lot of his posts endorsing that idea, both call me stupid (and worse) because I don't endorse that stupid excuse for mitch's incompetence. A good job of building up the other sports with FOOTBALL money (and lucky with Cal) but I still say he would have had MORE money for his sports (mine too) if he had given football a cent above the bare minimum support for TEN years.

We lost about ten years in the football arms race, and Stoops started in an incredible hole because of him.

How about a poll on how many think mitch DELIBERATELY ran football into the ground and lost tons of money in order to get more support for football? STILL costing us money AND football success.

Last edited:
Grump...I think UK fans have shown in the past that if football can be "competitive" that fans will follow it as fervently as bb. Just my opinion, but I don't think any other SEC fan base would do that.

Reactions: jauk11 and law1127
Congrats, you got the mandatory like from Slugger for any post critical of my posts.

Don't you think that is a pretty impressive list for someone in charge of football spending when it was emerging as the money cow? What would he have done if the OTHER crazy sums primarily from FOOTBALL hadn't been made available because of OTHER programs? TENS of millions he lost from football, but rolling in cash because of over $40,000,000 rolling in EVERY year because others didn't fall asleep. mitch gave Brooks about a THREE PERCENT raise a year for eight years when Brooks saved his A$$.

Sure, I think football is in good shape now, he was LUCKY, and what choice did he have but to spend that money on football to try to stop the bleeding, about TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket sales lost STILL and tens of millions in donations, you should have read the LONG running thread on here where HUNDREDS of fans (that said they wanted to donate) swore to never donate a cent to football as long as he was in charge of the money, ie the KFund.

NOT a football hero, and irritating as hell for some to make him out to be one when he had NO CHOICE but to spend a lot of the new money on football, THE MONEY COW in today's sports world, where TV runs the show-------but where there is still a lot of money in attendance (and fan involvement) and a lot of programs still average OVER 100,000 fans for all their hone games, Georgia probably over 80,000 with their stadium.

The situation was so bad some fans even propose that mitch DELIBERATELY ran football into the ground (and lost untold millions of public money in the process) in order to get more support for football, an idea that Slugger is all over because it gives him another way to attack me, I doubt if he even believes a lot of his posts endorsing that idea, both call me stupid (and worse) because I don't endorse that stupid excuse for mitch's incompetence. A good job of building up the other sports with FOOTBALL money (and lucky with Cal) but I still say he would have had MORE money for his sports (mine too) if he had given football a cent above the bare minimum support for TEN years.

How about a poll on how many think mitch DELIBERATELY ran football into the ground and lost tons of money in order to get more support for football? STILL costing us money AND football success.

I didn't mean to be critical of your post Jauk, you know far more about the situation than me, I was just posting how I see UK's total athletic program as an outsider. UGA hasn't cared if we had a basketball program for years, just win some games, maybe get in the NCAA but don't put us on probation. Foxx couldn't get to the NCAA's enough and lost too many games with leads very late in the game, I don't know if we upgraded with the recent hire or not, our past president is to blame for that when he brought a known cheater and his close personal friend, Jim Harrick to town.

Grump...I think UK fans have shown in the past that if football can be "competitive" that fans will follow it as fervently as bb. Just my opinion, but I don't think any other SEC fan base would do that.

I have to disagree with that, just talking about the big 2 sports, when both are good at any school, tickets are hard to come by because the venues fill up

I have to disagree with that, just talking about the big 2 sports, when both are good at any school, tickets are hard to come by because the venues fill up
Grump..I'm speaking from a "want to" perspective from a fan level. I think Fla was an example when they won b/b nc in basketball they could have cared less like many bb only fans at UK do not want fb being mentioned in the same breath as bb. Do you think uga would be that way. I remember Louisville native Hugh Durham did an excellent job there.

Grump, my biggest thing with MB is his willingness to pull the trigger for contract extensions for coaches and pay them salaries not fitting their results. We have two on campus right now. As far as giving all theses coaches the things they need to be successful he has done great even with all the roadblocks in his way that several of us have talked about, but some are too hardheaded/stupid to get.

Yeah, he went overboard with Brooks his eight years here BEFORE football started losing money hand over fist, that sorry coach averaged a THREE PERCENT a year raise for the eight years of his "incompetence" with the great support he had, 60% of the recruiting budget for basketball for SIX times the players in football. For just one of MANY examples of the support the two programs received. When football brought in $18M to about $5M from the best bb program in the nation AFTER football had peaked.and started downhill.

What the hell is he going to do with the more than $40,000,000 a year rolling in because of OTHER SEC ADs and so he can go from football villain to hero-------in some fans gullible opinion.

Thought I should reply since you mentioned me in your post, lol.

Speaking of hardheaded/stupid, are you still all in with law in thinking mitch threw away millions of dollars and ran football into an incredible hole ON PURPOSE in order to get football the support it deserved FOR ALL OF HIS TIME IN OFFICE?.

Keep it up, you are doing a great job of keeping his incompetence for his first TEN YEARS still in the news.

Grump..I'm speaking from a "want to" perspective from a fan level. I think Fla was an example when they won b/b nc in basketball they could have cared less like many bb only fans at UK do not want fb being mentioned in the same breath as bb. Do you think uga would be that way. I remember Louisville native Hugh Durham did an excellent job there.

I think they would fill the arena, and would have a good following. But even if we had the success UK has had in BB it wouldn't be the same as football. HS football is absolute king in Georgia, BB is a distant 2nd.

I think they would fill the arena, and would have a good following. But even if we had the success UK has had in BB it wouldn't be the same as football. HS football is absolute king in Georgia, BB is a distant 2nd.
Talent-wise it wouldn't be on the same level, but if you come to a high school football game in Kentucky on a Friday night and then come and watch basketball games during the basketball season you would be amazed at the difference in attendance football vs basketball

True, but even in Kentucky football is making big strides, witness the number of prospects in the state this year compared to ZERO four stars in the whole state when Joker took over. And a LOT of it is due to the increased emphasis on football by the State University, IMO.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
The big HS in my county has a 6,000 seat stadium, with field turf, and a jumbo tron video board. This is a county with a total population of 30,000. This is in SE Kentucky BTW.
Trinity vs st. X here in Louisville traditionally draws 30,000 + for their games each year. Way back in the sixties it was nothing for for the oldest rivalry in the country male vs manual to draw 25,000 Plus on Thanksgiving Day at Fairgrounds Stadium... Boy those were the days!!
LMHS...GO DOGS!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
The big HS in my county has a 6,000 seat stadium, with field turf, and a jumbo tron video board. This is a county with a total population of 30,000. This is in SE Kentucky BTW.

You would be shocked at the size of some of the stadiums in tiny towns with less than 800 kids, 30-40 years of alumni show up every Friday night and travel tothe away games. Turf fields are so common here now that playing on a natural grass fields is the rare game.. But the new schools being built are sparing no expense when building a BB arena either. New HS in my county ls nicer than most small schools and seats 5500 for a school with an enrollment of less than 700, it doesn't always fill up, but neither does their 8k stadium with turf and an internationally certified track surrounding it, world records can be set on that thing. School is roughly 15 years old, has had a couple winning seasons but a new school, not a replacement.

You would be shocked at the size of some of the stadiums in tiny towns with less than 800 kids, 30-40 years of alumni show up every Friday night and travel tothe away games. Turf fields are so common here now that playing on a natural grass fields is the rare game.. But the new schools being built are sparing no expense when building a BB arena either. New HS in my county ls nicer than most small schools and seats 5500 for a school with an enrollment of less than 700, it doesn't always fill up, but neither does their 8k stadium with turf and an internationally certified track surrounding it, world records can be set on that thing. School is roughly 15 years old, has had a couple winning seasons but a new school, not a replacement.
Grump... think what several of us are trying to say is that Kentucky is just not a one-trick pony when it comes to our interest in sports especially the University of Kentucky... Yes, we do indeed love us and basketball, but we also will show up for football and baseball when it is warranted of our time. Just glad now that every team on campus has the facilities needed to be successful on an SEC level. Mitch Barnhart has done a great job seeing to that . The sports complex that has been/being built all across campus is a great testament to that.

Grump... think what several of us are trying to say is that Kentucky is just not a one-trick pony when it comes to our interest in sports especially University of Kentucky... Yes, we do indeed love us and basketball, but we also will show up for football and baseball when it is warranted of our time. Just glad now that every team on campus has the facilities needed to be successful on an SEC level. Mitch Barnhart has done a great job seeing to that . The sports complex that has been/being built all across campus is a great testament to that.

Like I posted somewhere above I think UK has a very good overall athletic program, I don't know where it ranks conference wide for whatever they call that trophy but UK is well represented in quite a few sports. Of course none are where us fans want them to be, winning NC every year, but men's BB is conference's best, the ladies track team has some NCs and at least 1 olympian, baseball is more than competitive, women's BB has been good, football is trending up. What's not to like?

Like I posted somewhere above I think UK has a very good overall athletic program, I don't know where it ranks conference wide for whatever they call that trophy but UK is well represented in quite a few sports. Of course none are where us fans want them to be, winning NC every year, but men's BB is conference's best, the ladies track team has some NCs and at least 1 olympian, baseball is more than competitive, women's BB has been good, football is trending up. What's not to like?
BTW congrats to the Georgia men's track and field team for winning the 2018 NC !

BTW congrats to the Georgia men's track and field team for winning the 2018 NC !

No, condolences on losing the Women's title on a fraction of a second last second win of the last event by USC. UK's women finished 3rd or fourth?

The men's finish wasn't too bad though.

Thx, track and field is actually my 2nd favorite sport

No, condolences on losing the Women's title on a fraction of a second last second win of the last event by USC. UK's women finished 3rd or fourth?

The men's finish wasn't too bad though.

Yeah, that was a tough one, but sometimes you just have to give credit where it's due, the USC anchor wanted it and ran a tremendous leg and had an amazing stretch run to beat us

Recruiting not going real well this year so far. Going to take more than what we have gotten the last two years to get a top 30 class again. Time to put an exciting product on the field. I have defended Stoops for doing what he had to with Smitty but it's year 6 somebody better show out at qb. The defense better be good.
It's true, we have to now start winning, and winning big to get guys attention. We knew the year would come where being a hot new coach with a name, and promising immediate playing time would only get us as far as a few years and then results would have to kick in. It's time we earn respect. Only way is to win, and win big.

To me Brooks proved that any coach who gets the time to implement his offense and defense, can keep his staff intact, which allows for junior and senior class teams on the field every year can have success. If Brooks had Stoops staff's ability to recruit, he would still be here. :)

To me Brooks proved that any coach who gets the time to implement his offense and defense, can keep his staff intact, which allows for junior and senior class teams on the field every year can have success. If Brooks had Stoops staff's ability to recruit, he would still be here. :)
Snell, AM, Jackson are the only players that have played for Stoops that I would trade for equivalent players that played for Brooks offense or defense man for man.

Last edited:
Snell is the only player that has played for Stoops that I would trade for equivalent players that played for Brooks offense or defense man for man.

No wonder you are so down on the team.

I thought Paschal and Bohanna were BOTH very impressive as true freshmen, Josh predicted in the first round by most, Conrad maybe if he comes back strong and gets targeted more, Edwards pretty sure to get drafted, some others that deserve consideration, Bowden first year at Receiver, Jones looked like a guided missile several times when he had it going. Hard for me to single out players on the OL but definitely the best overall in probably forever.

I think your disapproval of our staff is keeping you from being objective.

Nobody proven at QB but plenty of potential and I think whoever it is will be pretty good because I like the support he is going to have at EVERY position around him, ESPECIALLY RB and maybe not just Snell. There is an axiom in mathematics that the whole is equal to the sum of its parts, I think when each of the parts is capable of doing more than its part the whole can be more than the sum of its parts, lol.

Snell, AM, Jackson are the only players that have played for Stoops that I would trade for equivalent players that played for Brooks offense or defense man for man.

Well, I noticed you added a couple of players to your VERY short list of players that played for Stoops. Since you said "played for" instead of being recruited then you should have to add Bud to that list, certainly improved his draft stock a great deal under Stoops, and Smith was both recruited and played for him. Even Boom might have set some records here if his family hadn't been a factor.

I loved the 07 team, a LOT of very much underrated players on that team where the offense averaged about a two star on offense (LESS than a 5.4 for 11 positions, Lyons Jr a 4.9 and Gary a 5.1 examples of that stupidity) and SEVERAL players on that team went on to have great NFL careers.

Our offense this year could easily AVERAGE a four star starting (might have to demote Snell, LOL) and while that team showed how far off star ratings can be I believe that the ONE four star at QB made a huge difference, if Woodson could play QB with this talent I believe this team could be as good as that one on offense--------and we don't know what we have at QB this year yet, he could be pretty good. Woodson got a lot of help, I think this years QB will also..

Last edited:

I was mostly talking about what a program needs to be competitive as a football program.

Based on their freshman seasons I think Paschal and Bohanna could both be among our best DL ever, before the fat lady sings. Paschal living up to high expectations and Bohanna huge (passed up two previous starters?) and has gained 20 more pounds, might depend on whether it was all good weight or not. If it is he is a monster now.

Check that, he was already a monster, now a bigger monster, in a good way.

Last edited:
Based on their freshman seasons I think Paschal and Bohanna could both be among our best DL ever, before the fat lady sings. Paschal living up to high expectations and Bohanna huge (passed up two previous starters?) and has gained 20 more pounds, might depend on whether it was all good weight or not. If it is he is a monster now.

Check that, he was already a monster, now a bigger monster, in a good way.

Bohanna is listed at 340, that's pretty big. We have had those guys before. You really have to be careful with guys that size and rotate them often. Unlike the smaller guys if they get tired they are done for the day, won't recover for a couple days.

Reactions: mrschwump
Bohanna is listed at 340, that's pretty big. We have had those guys before. You really have to be careful with guys that size and rotate them often. Unlike the smaller guys if they get tired they are done for the day, won't recover for a couple days.
That's true...340 may be a bit much for what he'll be needed to do.

Yeah, which is why I had a question about it, but if it wasn't they shouldn't have let him put it on. I think he gained even more than that his first year here and everyone likes those results, if we could have gotten Elam at 340# I think we might have had something there. I think Paschal has gained about 30# and they want him to gain more. Every case is different though.

Yeah, which is why I had a question about it, but if it wasn't they shouldn't have let him put it on. I think he gained even more than that his first year here and everyone likes those results, if we could have gotten Elam at 340# I think we might have had something there. I think Paschal has gained about 30# and they want him to gain more. Every case is different though.

Elam was never in condition,but none of those 340lb guys ever look like they are. IMO, Elam's issue was more about flexibility or lack of, He wasn't blessed with it naturally and was never able to gain enough to be effective.

Elam was never in condition,but none of those 340lb guys ever look like they are. IMO, Elam's issue was more about flexibility or lack of, He wasn't blessed with it naturally and was never able to gain enough to be effective.

True, and it looks like our latest best prospect is going to have to lose some bad weight also, but some amazing stories there, some players lose 20# of bad weight and gain 30# of good muscle. They make sure they have all the tools to do it, exercise rooms AND dieticians.

True, and it looks like our latest best prospect is going to have to lose some bad weight also, but some amazing stories there, some players lose 20# of bad weight and gain 30# of good muscle. They make sure they have all the tools to do it, exercise rooms AND dieticians.

That's true, Kirby tried to bring Bama's S&C coordinator with him but Bama is paying him over 500k now to keep him. But he brought in a guy who is top notch,he hired Miami's old S&C coordinator and another coordinator for his assistants. Our guys look different than under Richt who had hired our media coordinator to run the S&C program. I don't know for sure if it directly related to all the injuries we had back then, but since the change injuries have gone down. Plus our OL are making first contact with their stomachs. The OL we signed in 17 was 6'7" 380 when he arrived, after a RS, still 6/7" but 340 and looks slimmer than our 295 guys under the old staff. Really happy with our S&C guy, maybe the most important guy on a staff, imo.

Reactions: jauk11
FWIW, I totally agree. He was always last on the DL to get down and was first up out of his "stance". IOW, very uncomfortable in stance. Just one of those things. By all accounts a great young man. I wish him well in his post-college life.

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
Purdue was a train wreck for several years before Brohm got there. They won 7 games, were competitive in every game and went to a bowl. Pretty impressive. No offense to Stoops but I don’t think he would have won 7 games at Purdue last year.
they also had injury issues as the season progressed and were playing walk-ons as starters some games

Reactions: seccats04
ADVERTISEMENT