ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta start the 3 sophomores

Two out of three ain't bad...

Richards
Washington
Johnson
Herro
Quickley

I'm not as much about the "microwave" 6th man stuff as a lot of folks so I'm a proponent of starting Herro but if it goes that way then Green can start and we pair Herro with Hagans for a D/O 1-2 punch.

Starting doesn’t matter. Now I do think you need a clear top 5 that gets the most minutes and are the guys you roll with when the game is on the line. I think that was a problem the 2015 team had. They never figured that out, or at least, no one played consistently well enough where you felt like it was clear.

Who it is on this team? Way too early to tell. EJ didn’t play, so there is still a huge question mark as far as what your pf/c rotation is. If Baker turns out to be good, there are enough minutes there to mostly satisfy all of our perimeter players. Even though I still say it is yet to be determined if everyone is as equally qualified to play as fans are thinking.

I’m waiting until the games actually matter to determine where guys actually are. The quality of the competition makes me hesitant to completely buy in to the people who produced statistically. We have some guys who showed defensive potential though, at least through the level of effort and enthusiasm they played with. They clearly have the athleticism.

Green
IQ
Keldon
PJ
Richard’s
Starting 5.
No problem with that but Herro and Travis deserve to start also. These 2 players play as well as anyone on the team in scoring and rebounding.

Herro is a scorer who isn't afraid to mix it up and take big shots. He could probably lead the team in scoring.

Travis is a double-double waiting to happen. He's Randle basically with much more experience.

Green
IQ
Keldon
PJ
Richard’s
Starting 5.

Agreed.

I think Quickley and Green need to be paired together with Hagans and Herro paired together.

Quickley and Green are interchangeable at PG/SG.

Hagans and Herro are more defined in their roles. Hagans is a pure PG and struggles shooting. Herro is pure scoring wing that shoots it well. They complement each other well.

So, I guess you could start either pair, but, I like Hagans and Herro as energy guys off the bench.

Johnson definitely starts at the 3. He's really the only true SF (though Herro will see minutes there as well).

I also like pairing Washington and Richards together. I like starting Richards to keep his confidence up.

Conversely, I think Montgomery and Travis complement each other, so I would bring them off the bench together.

Herro not starting will be a joke and he will likely lead this team in scoring. I just don't understand how anyone could think Green or Quikley start over a walking bucket in Herro!!!

Start the fifth year senior.
We'll see how Travis progresses but just on this "it's only August" performance he looks like a great second teamer but not a starter over KJ, PJ and Nick. But I love experience, expect him to show a lot more as season goes on. But so will the other 3.

If JB can get/stay healthy, what's our 2nd team ranked?

I see tanks coming over the hill...

cal_pumped.jpg

Fr. Hagans
So. Baker
Fr. Herro
Gt. Travis
Fr. Montgomery

In some places that would be an excellent starting rotation.

We'll see how Travis progresses but just on this "it's only August" performance he looks like a great second teamer but not a starter over KJ, PJ and Nick. But I love experience, expect him to show a lot more as season goes on. But so will the other 3.

Really? This dude screams starter to me. You can't solely go off of his offensive production over the week. He is learning a completely new system, so it's going to take time for him to adjust, even to start the season. But the fact that he didn't let his offensive performance effect everything else he did is exactly why he needs to start.

Richards looked good the first game but seemed to revert back to his old ways the rest of the games. He won’t play much if he continues to do that, and I’d start Travis

It amazes me how people watched all four games and still don’t have Herro starting.

ADVERTISEMENT