ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta start the 3 sophomores

That is looking like the best starting lineup at the moment. It is a complete set of basketball tools, and allows excellent multi-position subs, Herro and Travis, to come off the bench. Because they don’t have as much versatility, guys like Richards and Green are much better as starters than as subs, so it’s a good thing they also happen to be performing at a starter level.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
I fully agree. Never thought I'd say Richards over Travis, but that's the starting 5 right now based off the 4 Bahamas games.

Now, that could always change come March. But I've been impressed by Richards improvement.

Reactions: chroix
If JB can get/stay healthy, what's our 2nd team ranked?

I see tanks coming over the hill...

cal_pumped.jpg

Fr. Hagans
So. Baker
Fr. Herro
Gt. Travis
Fr. Montgomery

Calipari will start Reid. That was his pitch to him that he could come here start and work on his perimeter game. He didn't come here to sit the bench. Just my two cents.

Calipari will start Reid. That was his pitch to him that he could come here start and work on his perimeter game. He didn't come here to sit the bench. Just my two cents.

I hear this argument all the time, and it never makes sense or proves accurate. Do you think Hagans or Montgomery came here to sit the bench? Top 10 players, #1 at their positions? The first and last sentence of Cal’s recruiting pitch to every player is: “I don’t make promises.”

And why would any of them care, if they’re still getting good minutes and a chance to show their game? Booker didn’t start a single game and was a lottery pick. SGA started the season on the bench and played his way into a starting spot (and a lottery pick). Cal has proven that he rewards performance, and if you trust the system and work hard, it will pay off - whether starter or sub.

"Cal has proven that he rewards performance, and if you trust the system and work hard, it will pay off - whether starter or sub."

I agree to an extent. I still believe there are times when Cal is a little stubborn, such as starting Richards every game last year even when he was not producing, or staying with the twins in the final four against Wisconsin. I believe he has however turned the corner and is starting to put the players that are producing on the court.

He hasn't earned it yet......at this point , it would be a gift.
(Seems to be trying too hard to prove he belongs)

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Quade, Herro, Hagans, Keldon, and Quickley will all play pretty similar minutes, I think. I’d have Quade on the bench at the start, ready to come in and steady the ship if the cats start the game playing a little out of control.

Reid being on the court to start and finish the game is important. Something about him being a 5th year senior will just calm the nerves of everyone in the tense moments at the beginning and end of games that they youngins aren't ready for..

Reid being on the court to start and finish the game is important. Something about him being a 5th year senior will just ......................................calm the nerves of everyone.......................................... in the tense moments at the beginning and end of games that they youngins aren't ready for..

Maybe, he (Reid) should work on calming his own nerves first...........Give me PJ and Quade
for leadership...even Herro over RT.

Choosing a starting five is tough with this group. Maybe have Cal base it upon opponents

Maybe, he (Reid) should work on calming his own nerves first...........Give me PJ and Quade
And Richards has proven he can calm his nerves?

You'll take 4 games over full seasons of evidence?

Green
IQ
Keldon
PJ
Richard’s
Starting 5.

Agreed. But that's definitely not the team to get the most minutes, but it's a good, experienced and mature starting 5. I think Herro is first man off the bench and gets 20+mpg easily, but I have him as not a starter just because I love the microwave mindset and it's an incredible valuable roll to play. When the games on the line though, I'd like this line up:

IQ
Green
Herro
Johnson
Washington

When we want to smother teams and create havoc on D we could do

IQ
Hagans
Johnson
Washington
Travis

Travis rebounding makes up for his average defense. The other 4 are going to force bad shots and Travis will gobble up the misses. Regardless there's SO many combos and none of us truly know about Baker or Montgomery and where they'll fit and that's what's even MORE crazy. This team is a championship contender as is, let alone those 2 guys coming back, one of which who has the intangibles to be a lotto pick.

Reactions: jameslee32
By all accounts, Travis didn't play as good as he could have offensively. He still averaged 10 and 10. I don't see how that guy doesn't start.

Reactions: jameslee32
I think Cal's starting line up is going to depend on who we're playing, and it's not always going to be the same one.
I also believe these guys are being taught that being listed as a starter is simply a technicality - that they're all starters and will all play significant minutes over the season. Might not be the same number of minutes each game but...j

Reactions: FlCATFan
Green
IQ
Keldon
PJ
Richard’s
Starting 5.
I agree. Those two guards really work well together and Richards is much better protecting the rim this year. Herro as scorer off the bench suits him and he works best with Travis for spacing on his post ups.

Do you think Hagans or Montgomery came here to sit the bench?

Not the same situation. Hagans and Montgomery are 18 year old freshman, whereas Travis is a fifth year senior who turns 23 this year.

Travis' expiration date as a pro prospect has nearly passed (how many 23 year olds do you see getting drafted?). This season is his last chance to win the favor of scouts. So can you see why a starting spot might seem more imperative to him compared to the 18 year olds?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal-4-Three
Once he settles down a bit there is no way Hagans won't be starting. It will be a tossup o who the 2g is between Quickly and Herro IMO. You have Green spelling both positions.

Hagans-Quickly
Herro
Keldon
Washington
Richards

It's going to take Travis a bit to get comfortable with our tempo and playing with so many other good (and athletic) players.

He was a STUD at Stanford and will be equally as good, if not better, at Kentucky. He is a mountain of a man and has a very high skill level, but you can tell he was rushed and uncomfortable in these games. Once he gets used to his teammates and the up and down style of play, he will be more than fine.

I think that Washington / Travis combination down-low will be key this season.

Starting doesn't matter on this team. We potentially have 10 guys getting around 20 minutes a game. And, lets face it, our second team would be starting on the vast majority of d1 programs. I'm all in for platoon v2. Who's with me?

With this group, who starts has little significance. Who we have coming off the bench is significant. Get it?

And Richards has proven he can calm his nerves?

You'll take 4 games over full seasons of evidence?

Take time to reread, I named 3 players..Richards was not one.
I know about RT #s, but what he has shown so far is below the hype
and expectations. Quade and PJ are way ahead of RT at this time,
as pertaining to being steady and as a leader.

And if I were to choose between Richards and Travis for a full year and
not have the other at all...I take Richards.

Quade and PJ for sure, along with KJ, have to be in the starting lineup. Then either Travis or Richards, and I am thinking Cal is wanting to play Quade off the ball with another PG but I'd start him with Herro at the 2. Whatever it ends up being, we're going to see 8-9 guys play 15-25 minutes.

You don't have to start anyone this year IMO besides possibly Quick. We are going to play 9 guys about equal minutes ( though IMO KJ will get the most minutes of everyone since he is the 1 true SF and the team's best player) . This is the one year I just flat out don't think it matters. I want Quick starting over Hagans simply because he is a master at running a team.

Reactions: ganner918
Green, Herro, Johnson, PJ, and Travis are UKs five best players. Travis will be much more of a consistent force than Nick. Nick will still play a lot, and at times with Travis.

Hagans is super fast, has great hands and handles, and is tenacious on D. But he has no touch, no finesse to his game. He cant shoot. Not yet anyway. Quickley is less flashy but more reliable at this point. But I think Green starts.

ADVERTISEMENT