ADVERTISEMENT

Goodbye Wenyen

I should mention that after the game he sent out another tweet where he was advertising that song about him or whatever called "UPMAN", which to me kinda says that he wasn't too concerned about what had just happened in the game.... I don't know, I just get a sense from wenyen that he's gone regardless of if he gets drafted or not.

I take it as he's just saying what a great season and team it was this year.

I mean, if he wants to leave.. ok then.

Jesus, I get it if you're a top5 pick, with a lot to risk. I'm always about lottery picks leaving.. But Gabriel? What, one more year of college basketball is just so unfathomable??

Coach Cal did say two weeks ago that we would lose 8 players. European leagues do pay up to $1 million salary plus housing and living expenses. That really helps families that have financial hardships.

Coach Cal did say two weeks ago that we would lose 8 players. European leagues do pay up to $1 million salary plus housing and living expenses. That really helps families that have financial hardships.

Yes, for elite talent or retired NBA names that fill the seats. A guy named Wenyen Gabriel who couldn't even get run in the Elite 8 game of the NCAA tourney? I mean if it was that easy, why are 35 year old men toiling in the D League for 10 years making 80K or whatever it is? Why? Because it ain't that easy.

Reactions: brianpoe
There's nothing left keeping him here. He's been recruited over and may not see much more playing time than he had this year. It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet but his drop in play seems to have coincided with stupidly allowing that picture to get out. He seems to be a humble kid and that is just another reason for him to leave and chase a paycheck somewhere, likely overseas.

Last edited:
There's nothing left keeping him here. He's been recruited over and may not see much more playing time than he had this year. No one else has mentioned this but his drop in play seems to have coincided with stupidly allowing that picture to get out. He seems to be a humble kid and that is just another reason for him to leave and chase a paycheck somewhere, likely overseas.

What picture?

old for his class, short arms for his height. not sure how much 'potential' he has in the eyes of nba people, off this year

i think he's pretty skilled, and mostly lacks strength & confidence. would probably be better served coming back and playing well. unlike briscoe, for instance, he could improve his stock. i'd be happy to have him

Yes, for elite talent or retired NBA names that fill the seats. A guy named Wenyen Gabriel who couldn't even get run in the Elite 8 game of the NCAA tourney? I mean if it was that easy, why are 35 year old men toiling in the D League for 10 years making 80K or whatever it is? Why? Because it ain't that easy.

People toil in the D-League because it is directly connected to the NBA, and they still hope to work their way to the NBA.

Or some of them just don't want to leave families and go overseas.

Also, the style of play is different, and some people are more suited to one style than another.

But there are lots of opportunities overseas for players who choose that career path. They don't have to be washed up ex-NBA'ers to stick overseas.

I think he could be very good, he needs strength and he will be a 3 in the league not a 4 as we play him or a hybrid at the very least. With how his year went, if he did get drafted it would be on pure potential as there is no arguing that he hasn't proven to be a NBA ready player or even their caliber yet- but with that being said if a team drafts him he could be a full time player to work on his game. I actually don't think this tweet means he is gone for sure, but it may. That is the thing with UK now, most of the elite players are here to get to the league while fans think about history, loyalty and legacy. Cal has done a good job of finding players that give it their all while they are here, but make no mistake they do it because it helps them. As soon as that season is over, they are on to the next goal so far Cal has been good at balancing both with the understanding it is a revolving door. So, smart or not, I really wouldn't be shocked if any of them left. The mindset of these kids has shifted from am I guaranteed a first round contract to am I guaranteed at least a chance to be on a team or a D-League team so I can get better working towards that second contract and if so they are often gone.

The only reason I'm interpreting it as Wenyen leaving is cause of how much there has been said about his family situation. I really don't think he was referring to the seniors when he said what he did
I keep reading that his family needs the money. Link ? He is not going to get drafted but might play overseas.

I think he could be very good, he needs strength and he will be a 3 in the league not a 4 as we play him or a hybrid at the very least. With how his year went, if he did get drafted it would be on pure potential as there is no arguing that he hasn't proven to be a NBA ready player or even their caliber yet- but with that being said if a team drafts him he could be a full time player to work on his game. I actually don't think this tweet means he is gone for sure, but it may. That is the thing with UK now, most of the elite players are here to get to the league while fans think about history, loyalty and legacy. Cal has done a good job of finding players that give it their all while they are here, but make no mistake they do it because it helps them. As soon as that season is over, they are on to the next goal so far Cal has been good at balancing both with the understanding it is a revolving door. So, smart or not, I really wouldn't be shocked if any of them left. The mindset of these kids has shifted from am I guaranteed a first round contract to am I guaranteed at least a chance to be on a team or a D-League team so I can get better working towards that second contract and if so they are often gone.

3's have to be able to dribble, create their own shot and defend other SFs.

None of which WG can do today.

Can we get some mod action around here? He was just saying goodbye to the guys leaving and we have "fans" flipping out for no reason and some even talking bad about him. This is redicilous. The 1% that Cal refers to

Some of those European leagues pay pretty damn well. You can get rich playing over there.

You should read Paul Shirley's book "Can I keep My Jersey?" It's about his constant journey between the NBA and overseas ball. It's pretty damn funny but it also shows how playing overseas can suck and getting paid was like trying to track down your loser roommate's rent money.

Reactions: brianpoe
He was a typical raw freshman with a high ceiling

I remember thinking that as well, then I watched him play.

Decent spot up 3 point shooter, hustled on boards.

Seeemed lost at both ends.
Extremely weak.
Poor hands.
Poor passer.
Can't dribble.
Can't create.
Defense out on the floor was pretty bad.

I hope he returns, he has plenty to improve on.

He is not even the level of athlete I was hoping for.

But I'll cheer the kid on and lower expectations.

The NCAA exploits these young men and women across the board. If they cared, make them earn a 2 year degree, so they have something to fall back on. The NCAA will make millions next weekend, and the Gabriel's of the world fall into the OAD trap.

I would love that they would be staying for two years. The NBA players Assoc. is not going to let that happen. The NCAA is rich and powerful but the players assoc controls it.

Most overseas leagues allows a minimum number of Americans per team.

Lowers the availability of spots.

The NCAA exploits these young men and women across the board. If they cared, make them earn a 2 year degree, so they have something to fall back on. The NCAA will make millions next weekend, and the Gabriel's of the world fall into the OAD trap.
The NCAA can do nothing about making them stay in school. The NBA could change their rules to 2 and done. But not likely to do so. Players union won't go for it!

I wasn't saying that Gabriel was ready but that there was other avenues that he could look at and not just the NBA. I believe he does need more time at the college level but like one poster said he will be on the bench next year. We do have Washington and Vanderbilt coming in next year and I believe he is one player that started the season looking like by the end of the year he could possibly be in the 1st or 2nd round of draft. Coach Cal in the end was having Bam and Hump in the lineup and Gabriel was practically down to 0 minutes. I am not saying this in a bad way but he was totally lost at the end of the season. I don't know what he is thinking at this time but he does need a couple of more years to develop into a forward that can play in the NBA. He is just not ready yet for the NBA. Then again I believe that Bam could stay another year and work on his offense at the center position. He basically this year scored 90% of his points from dunks and Bam does have a nice touch from inside. I believe that Fox and Monk being in the top 10 is the only 2 that should being heading to the NBA. I don't think Briscoe is ready either but who I am to say who is ready and who is not ready. I just feel that Bam and Briscoe could use another year at the college level.

I love when people think any player can play over seas. Those teams are allowed at max 2 American players. No one would waste one of their two spots on Wenyen.

I keep reading that his family needs the money. Link ? He is not going to get drafted but might play overseas.
It's a rumor that I heard on this forum first, but today on Cal's call-in show he talked about players saying their family needed the money

It's a rumor that I heard on this forum first, but today on Cal's call-in show he talked about players saying their family needed the money

His family may need the money, but when has needing money ever made a below average college player into an NBA prospect. Gabriel only has two options: come back to UK or transfer. As of right now, he is not D-League material. I say this with peace and love as I truly am a Gabriel fan.

Somebody has gotten a hold of WG's ear and told him all sorts of fantastical stories.

If he has guarantees from somebody that there is a good paying gig overseas, then by all means go. If somebody is telling him he is has a spot in the league, bullshit.

Hawk and DW will make a roster spot before he does.

I always hear that so and so is being over recruited.

How do we know what each of these freshman coming in will really produce.

I remember last year people were worried that Willis was going to transfer because he was being recruited over by Gabriel and SKJ. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

Gabriel could end up being a much better stretch big like Willis. Just needs time to improve. Hope he stays

It's like these kids don't want to work hard. Gabriel go now? Stay, work your ass off, improve your game and enjoy the reward of being drafted higher.

You should read Paul Shirley's book "Can I keep My Jersey?" It's about his constant journey between the NBA and overseas ball. It's pretty damn funny but it also shows how playing overseas can suck and getting paid was like trying to track down your loser roommate's rent money.

Oh, yeah. That can definitely be the case in some leagues over there. No doubt about it. There are also a few credible leagues where players can make a good living. I'm sure those are the exception rather than the norm but there are legit leagues over seas.

ADVERTISEMENT