ADVERTISEMENT

Good news on the way !!!!!!

I believe it was Frank Underwood who predicted Reddish, Zion, and Barret to all 3 declare next season. How hard is it to predict 3 like that and he did it sooner than Z71 :rolleyes:

We are loaded this year coming up. The 2019 recruiting is what I'm talking about ... and little nugget kentucky very much in the mix for Vernon Carey jr. Absolute stud
Have heard the same. It's not impossible for UK to get Wiseman and Carey

We are loaded this year coming up. The 2019 recruiting is what I'm talking about ... and little nugget kentucky very much in the mix for Vernon Carey jr. Absolute stud
Every year we hear the same thing. Wait until next year but it never comes. What good news do you speak of? I don’t consider losing Knox, Alexander, Skj, diallo,tai and possibly Washington, green and Gabriel as good news.

I think most of us true Kentucky fans just wait for the official word when it comes to all of these rumors circulating. In most of the 2018 NBA Mock Draft Boards PJ Washington is not in the 1st or 2nd round of the 2018 NBA Draft. This 2018 NBA Draft is loaded and strong this year and that is why so many of the NBA experts are saying that some of these players would be better to come back to school and look at the 2019 NBA Draft. The 2019 NBA Draft is weak and some of these players like PJ and JV should first get these surgeries completed and then rehab to get ready for the 2018-2019 season at Kentucky. Both PJ and JV can come back and stay healthy and have outstanding seasons next year and easily be in the 1st round and possibly a Lottery pick of next year's 2019 NBA Draft. PJ's finger needing surgery and JV's ankle or foot needing surgery it seems like these would be easy decisions on getting the surgeries asap, then rehabbing, and get ready for next year's season with Kentucky.

Reactions: st-louie-blue
Every year we hear the same thing. Wait until next year but it never comes. What good news do you speak of? I don’t consider losing Knox, Alexander, Skj, diallo,tai and possibly Washington, green and Gabriel as good news.

It's the rinse and repeat nature of rafters. We are slow at learning.

6 months ago, we're going to be so good because of all these guys returning. Once the board felt that some or most would consider leaving, back to "Cal strikes again!" Rejuvenated Calipari, how does he do it!"

In reality nothing at all has changed and we are still in rinse and repeat mode.

Yes, but they won't admit it. If guys like PJ leave then we will never have quality returning players.

Reactions: Rinse_Repeat
Well no that wouldn't be good news but all that ain't happening. At the very worst IMO we lose one more player and that ain't a given. IN the last week we have had 2 complete studs commit . I suspect we don't hear much news between now and late JUne as there isn't much to hear. WG and JV really have nothing to announce . JV is too hurt to go anywhere and WG just isn't thought of high enough to do what he wants. So the question marks are Green and PJ. PJ wants to be in the NBA but he is going to find out even a 2nd round pick is iffy for him and I suspect he comes back. Green is the one we might lose. Though he would be a starter IMO I think he will see 3 guards in front of him more talented then him and Baker who is a damn good player too and he might leave. He shouldn't but if he does we will know in the next week IMO. Regardless next year's team is going to be one of the elite in Cal's era.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Quade Green could transfer but most players don't like to sit for a year and not play ball for almost 2 years when you transfer. Green played 30-35 minutes a game during our win streak at the end of the season. When Coach Cal went with SGA, Green, Knox, PJ, and JV the minutes went down with Diallo and Green was getting at least 30 minutes a game at SG. Green is an outstanding shooter and can drain the 3 so he fits the SG just as well as PG. This year with Quickley being a Freshman we could see Green back and forth at PG and SG with Quickley. We could also see a 3 guard lineup with Quickley, Green, and Herro. Coach Cal will have many options this year with his lineup and we could see a lot of different looks next year. With Hagans committing and possibly reclassifying to 2018 we now have Green, Quickley, Hagans, Herro, and Baker in our backcourt next year. I hope now with EJ Montgomery we get both PJ and JV to return for next year but if 1 of these players doesn't return I hope Coach Cal still looks at Reid Travis that went for 19 and 9 at Stanford this year and Mike Baum at South Dakota State that went for 24 and 12 this year. I saw Mike Baum play against Ohio State in the NCAA Tourney and he is a beast at 6'10 and scored 27 points and went for 5/10 from 3 and had 12 rebounds against Ohio State. Either one of these players brings Experience, offense, defense, and could really helps us in our Frontcourt next year.

Quade Green could transfer but most players don't like to sit for a year and not play ball for almost 2 years when you transfer. Green played 30-35 minutes a game during our win streak at the end of the season. When Coach Cal went with SGA, Green, Knox, PJ, and JV the minutes went down with Diallo and Green was getting at least 30 minutes a game at SG. Green is an outstanding shooter and can drain the 3 so he fits the SG just as well as PG. This year with Quickley being a Freshman we could see Green back and forth at PG and SG with Quickley. We could also see a 3 guard lineup with Quickley, Green, and Herro. Coach Cal will have many options this year with his lineup and we could see a lot of different looks next year. With Hagans committing and possibly reclassifying to 2018 we now have Green, Quickley, Hagans, Herro, and Baker in our backcourt next year. I hope now with EJ Montgomery we get both PJ and JV to return for next year but if 1 of these players doesn't return I hope Coach Cal still looks at Reid Travis that went for 19 and 9 at Stanford this year and Mike Baum at South Dakota State that went for 24 and 12 this year. I saw Mike Baum play against Ohio State in the NCAA Tourney and he is a beast at 6'10 and scored 27 points and went for 5/10 from 3 and had 12 rebounds against Ohio State. Either one of these players brings Experience, offense, defense, and could really helps us in our Frontcourt next year.
If Hagans reclasses Quade won’t see any time at Pg. he’s a SG not a pg. he has to play PG because of his height. It’s been stated too many times in several threads he can’t get to the hole to be able to throw out to three point shooters. And when he has he rarely finished

Disagree that SKJ and possibly Green leaving is wash, rinse, and repeat.

Now if more than that leave it could be. To me Gabriel is a potential key returner. If he stays, and PJ and/or JV are back then that's adequate experience.

Quade is only necessary if everyone else leaves but really he will be a role player in any case.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Desperate for hope? We won it all just 6 years ago. We have been to I forget how many damn final fours and elite 8s since Cal has been here!!!! Success we havent seen in most of our lifetimes.. You and others like you just sound like whiny b!tches. I hope you are actually a fan of another team. Cal has us ROLLING in recruiting right now. Next year will be special if PJ and Vanderbilt come back and I believe they will.
Getting Vanderbilt back isn’t the key unless he stays healthy. A lot of doubt there since he’s been injured on and off for two years

Quade Green could transfer but most players don't like to sit for a year and not play ball for almost 2 years when you transfer. Green played 30-35 minut2es a game during our win streak at the end of the season. When Coach Cal went with SGA, Green, Knox, PJ, and JV the minutes went down with Diallo and Green was getting at least 30 minutes a game at SG. Green is an outstanding shooter and can drain the 3 so he fits the SG just as well as PG. This year with Quickley being a Freshman we could see Green back and forth at PG and SG with Quickley. We could also see a 3 guard lineup with Quickley, Green, and Herro. Coach Cal will have many options this year with his lineup and we could see a lot of different looks next year. With Hagans committing and possibly reclassifying to 2018 we now have Green, Quickley, Hagans, Herro, and Baker in our backcourt next year. I hope now with EJ Montgomery we get both PJ and JV to return for next year but if 1 of these players doesn't return I hope Coach Cal still looks at Reid Travis that went for 19 and 9 at Stanford this year and Mike Baum at South Dakota State that went for 24 and 12 this year. I saw Mike Baum play against Ohio State in the NCAA Tourney and he is a beast at 6'10 and scored 27 points and went for 5/10 from 3 and had 12 rebounds against Ohio State. Either one of these players brings Experience, offense, defense, and could really helps us in our Frontcourt next year.

Are we for sure talking to both of the grad transfers you mentioned?

Cal has had us "rolling in recruiting" every year.......still just the one title. So what's your point?
That he’s made us a contender almost every year he’s been here. Point is if Higgins had called certain games we’d have more. 2011, 2015, and 2017

Heal up, then start shooting thousands upon thousands of three-point shots (college AND NBA range) and just as many free throws. Without the ability, at 6-6, to throw it in the ocean from any reasonable distance, he has little value as a NBA prospect. Practice your shooting all summer at the Craft Center, then help us win a national championship in 2019. That's my advice to PJ.

Disagree that SKJ and possibly Green leaving is wash, rinse, and repeat.

Now if more than that leave it could be. To me Gabriel is a potential key returner. If he stays, and PJ and/or JV are back then that's adequate experience.

Quade is only necessary if everyone else leaves but really he will be a role player in any case.

lol, but we need those kinds of players to fill out the roster and that have experience

It is really hard to win a championship without key veterans. This year was out of the norm with such an easy path but Cal couldn’t capitalize. Can’t believe he got out coached by Bruce freaking Webber!

Can't blame officials.

Look, what are we all arguing here. My main reasoning for coming into the thread was to stress the importance of having quality multi-year players. As a fan base we get so enamored with 5-star incoming freshmen, yet dismiss players leaving early or transferring as no big deal. Losing SKJ hurts UK....period. He would have been an experienced and battle-hardened junior. Regardless of talent, UK needs his experience to go deep in the tourney. If Green leaves that hurts UK. An experienced point guard, regardless of NBA potential, is a commodity. Yet, no one cares. We just care about the next recruit
You may be right about officials. But we don’t need all of them to return to have experience. Sometimes that experience player just isn’t good enough and I’m not picking any certain player. But to say we’ve not been a contender cause it doesn’t fit the narrative of certain posters agenda of trying to be like Nova.

Id take Mike Baum over Travis

A 30% shooter hitting 5 3's and PJ missing 15 free throws is coaching?

Come on.
It’s always coaching. Always. Whether true or not. Kid goes 8 for 20 in a 3 point loss - it’s coaching. I guess I’d rather they blame the guy making $7 million than the kid. Still. No imagination. Go with the stock answer. Outcoached....

Anyone that wants calipari to go......you have established yourself as not very smart. You can do me a favor and put me on ignore please..thx
My aunts who in their 60’s and 70’s would agree with ya. They’ve been following since the Rupp Years. They put Csl second to Rupp. They do wish that just a couple players would stick around but they love how good we’ve been.

Anyone that wants calipari to go......you have established yourself as not very smart. You can do me a favor and put me on ignore please..thx

Totally disagree. Some people value having guys for four years as much as winning. If we are gonna flame out as we have the last 3 years with no real relative success what's the point? I mean we could have a lottery for next UK coach and they are good on avg for a sweet sixteen based on our program to begin with.

Totally disagree. Some people value having guys for four years as much as winning. If we are gonna flame out as we have the last 3 years with no real relative success what's the point? I mean we could have a lottery for next UK coach and they are good on avg for a sweet sixteen based on our program to begin with.
We just went to the Elite 8 last year. We were one shot from the final four even with the help of Higgins

2017 was a flame out?

Reactions: brianpoe
This is gonna be brutal for you....go check into Duke, Nova, UL, UNC....Compare the sweet 16's to UK under Cal. It's silly...I'll just give you one stat to make you come back to reality...nova has been to 2 sweet 16's in 9 years..lol

Regardless what you or others think, college basketball is highly competitive and winning a national championship is extremely difficult. Everybody's on the Jay Wright bandwagon because he's won it 2 of the last 3 years but he's also been coaching at Nova for 17 years. Roy Williams NEVER won a title at Kansas and he never lost a player to the NBA before their Junior year.

Reactions: brianpoe and JC43
I have no problem with SKJ leaving. He was overrated, I said it months ago. I thought he was transfer bait. He was recruited over, it happens.

Green leaving (if) is a blow, and the way some of the board has acted about it is typical. Like I've said, I could go back easily and find threads where good posters were using last year as a stepping stone. They constantly told everyone to chill out, that this is Cal's bridge year. I said that I thought we were on a slippery slope once the Diallo and Briscoe situations came and went. College basketball is about trends, but some people just cant pick up on it. The recruiting classes are hollow right now because we aren't getting the guys that are impactful for one year. They are 2/3/4 year guys who want to leave after one. It's a problem if Cal winning a second title is your goal. But here, we've got a loud segment of about 15-20 guys that are more concerned with other aspects.

Half or more of the team goes pro, transfers, is contemplating transfer etc and a few 10-20 recruits sign and suddenly it's the plan and Cal is hitting his recruiting magic like 2009. I'm sorry but no.

The hypocrisy is too thick to see straight. I've stopped talking about it because it's no use anymore. People will have to get fed up with it on their own.

I'll say it again just so it's clear as far as my position - unless Cal is going to pull off NBA ready athletes (ready to contribute in the NBA), he's not winning a title with this kind of turnover and recruiting classes. I said it in 2016 and I believe it now. If we lose Pj or Wyenen and or Green, and fail to make it to the final four next season, the conversation will start with more than 50% of the people here. And again those of us that spoke up early will go from troll, to, well, they'll just ignore we said anything.
I agree with you on SKJ being overrated but I really don't see nick as even being as good as him this past year. hope nick has a good year but based on last year I think it could be his jr year before he puts it together.

Reactions: morgousky
I have no problem with SKJ leaving. He was overrated, I said it months ago. I thought he was transfer bait. He was recruited over, it happens.

Green leaving (if) is a blow, and the way some of the board has acted about it is typical. Like I've said, I could go back easily and find threads where good posters were using last year as a stepping stone. They constantly told everyone to chill out, that this is Cal's bridge year. I said that I thought we were on a slippery slope once the Diallo and Briscoe situations came and went. College basketball is about trends, but some people just cant pick up on it. The recruiting classes are hollow right now because we aren't getting the guys that are impactful for one year. They are 2/3/4 year guys who want to leave after one. It's a problem if Cal winning a second title is your goal. But here, we've got a loud segment of about 15-20 guys that are more concerned with other aspects.

Half or more of the team goes pro, transfers, is contemplating transfer etc and a few 10-20 recruits sign and suddenly it's the plan and Cal is hitting his recruiting magic like 2009. I'm sorry but no.

The hypocrisy is too thick to see straight. I've stopped talking about it because it's no use anymore. People will have to get fed up with it on their own.

I'll say it again just so it's clear as far as my position - unless Cal is going to pull off NBA ready athletes (ready to contribute in the NBA), he's not winning a title with this kind of turnover and recruiting classes. I said it in 2016 and I believe it now. If we lose Pj or Wyenen and or Green, and fail to make it to the final four next season, the conversation will start with more than 50% of the people here. And again those of us that spoke up early will go from troll, to, well, they'll just ignore we said anything.
I don’t disagree with you. I expect Knox, SGA and Diallo to leave and Id feel very good about this upcoming year. If Quade or one of the remaining 3/4 position players leave then I agree Cal needs to vary his approach. I don’t think anyone anticipated SGA doing what he did this year or the possibility of Green or PJ leaving.

My only question is Cal going after Hagans/Maxey because SGA went and green was already considering leaving or is he just in an overall recruiting hyper mode.

I thought he actually made an effort to sway Knox into staying. Regardless Ill still support Cal and the team because right now there doesn’t seem the perfect and sure fire way to build a consistent team.

ADVERTISEMENT