ADVERTISEMENT

Good Article About UNC - SIAP

downthehatch

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 29, 2009
Well written article from a Virginia paper.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/colu...cle_18fc6af4-f808-53e6-b107-ca46fb2a1e6a.html

The school already has spent $18 million on the academic scandal, mostly in legal fees. It has not been money well-spent, either. Had Carolina officials fallen on their collective swords in 2011 and made an honest effort to atone, they likely would have gotten off with minimum NCAA sanctions.

Instead, I expect they’ll get hammered by the NCAA sometime this fall.

from the article:

In 2011, the newspaper obtained a transcript of UNC football star Marvin Austin showing a B-plus grade in a senior level African studies class he took before his freshman year began. UNC officials were at a loss to explain how he got into a high-level course before his first football practice.

Reporters and investigators began digging, and the results were appalling.

From 1993 through 2011, about 3,100 UNC students – nearly half of whom were athletes – took African studies classes that proved to be bogus. Classes generally did not meet; homework was not assigned.

Most required little work – a simple term paper at the end of the semester often sufficed.

UNC hired attorney Kenneth Wainstein to investigate, and he found that about 40 percent of those term papers were at least in part plagiarized, yet were accorded an average grade of A-minus.

Like most of you I have been very frustrated at the slow pace from the NCAA in coming to a ruling on the Cheaters. But in the end if they (UNC) get hammered it will be worth it all. So if you are going to do justice to UNC, NCAA, take your precious time.
Wish I was more confident in the hammer coming. I just have no faith in the NCAA at all any more. I have watched Corey Magette, Lance Thomas and their Duke/UNCheat breathren skate for far too long to expect anything other than a slap on the wrist.
giphy.gif

Wish I was more confident in the hammer coming. I just have no faith in the NCAA at all any more. I have watched Corey Magette, Lance Thomas and their Duke/UNCheat breathren skate for far too long to expect anything other than a slap on the wrist.
giphy.gif

To be honest about the Magette/Thomas stuff: I'm not in favor of a whole program being hammered (see Umass/Memphis) due to the actions of one rogue player.

However, at UNC* and Uofl, that was years of institutional, blatant, unabashed cheating from the entire program. This is when programs should be hammered

giphy.gif
I get your point and it is a good one. I am probably dreaming on a rainy day so until it happens I will also remain guarded. But justice more often than not comes slow if it comes

i am starting to think UNC will get hammered (football program at least) the NCAA has basically given them years to just fall on the sword and take their slap on the wrist. but with them taking the attitude that its not the NCAA business is what is gonna get them hammered. cause if there is one thing the NCAA won't stand for is a school questioning their authority.

Oh it's coming. Don't you doubt it.

"I loved the NCAA’s response: “When a member institution allows an academic department to provide benefits to student athletes that are materially different from the general student body, it is the NCAA’s business,” officials wrote.

“When a member institution uses ‘special arrangement’ courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes eligible, it is the NCAA’s business."

I will just wait and see. Right now I just don't see the NCAA doing anything to UNC***cheaters. We are living in the days where wrong is right & right is wrong.

giphy.gif
I'm expecting the NCAA to claim UNC**** didn't actually technically violate any rules and can't be punished but they are going to change the rules so no one else can cheat that way.

Reactions: sambowieshin
It bought them a National Championship last season.
Rooferees had a lot to do with that as well. Never seen a team benefit more from questionable officiating in a single tournament. Arky had them on the ropes and got screwed on 2 consecutive, very critical plays down the stretch. Our game vs them was probably the most horribly officiated game I've ever watched. So yeah, you're right in a sense that they were eligible to compete due to all the obfuscation and stonewalling, but man, Higgins. That dbag cost us.

Remember Roy Boy stating soon after they won the tournament on national television that they hadn't done anything wrong? How many championships did they win while this cheating with ineligible players as going on?

Reactions: westerncat
It's sounding more and more like the NCAA will strip UNC* of three national titles.
Only 2 of them encompassed in the timeline defined in the NOA. Should have included 3 according to UNC's response to SACS which went all the way back to 1989. 3 starters on that '93 team were AFAM majors. The other 2 were COMM majors with minors in AFAM. Really, when I think about the NCAA sparing Dean's legacy and that '93 banner, it pisses me off that those greedy bastards are still fighting to save '05 and '09. It's really a testament as to how ****ing entitled they are.

Really, when I think about the NCAA sparing Dean's legacy and that '93 banner, it pisses me off that those greedy bastards are still fighting to save '05 and '09.

At least we KNOW the truth. We all KNOW that all 3 of those titles are fraudulent and so do they. That is the reason we don't see most of them over here any longer. RevHeels made a complete fool out of himself with his Dean Smyth lovefest.

I am glad they are gone. UNC fans need to be reminded for the rest of their lives what a total fraud Dean Smyth was and that they simply cannot ever be mentioned on the same level as UK.

Another thing that is perplexing ... Wainstein uncovered similar transgressions in other departments as well, yet the NCAA didn't pursue those avenues. Hell, Boxill was the chair of the PHIL department! UNC should be thankful. The NCAA has looked the other way on a lot of this, but that's not good enough for the wine and cheese crowd. It's like they think the bylaws only apply to every other school. Any punishment is too much. Sanctimonious pricks

Another thing that is perplexing ... Wainstein uncovered similar transgressions in other departments as well, yet the NCAA didn't pursue those avenues. Hell, Boxill was the chair of the PHIL department! UNC should be thankful. The NCAA has looked the other way on a lot of this, but that's not good enough for the wine and cheese crowd. It's like they think the bylaws only apply to every other school. Any punishment is too much. Sanctimonious pricks
How could they go after Boxill pretty sure she was in charge of the ethics department at Uncheat

Reactions: jarms24

And Communications is the major many athletes jumped to during and after the AFAM issue was getting out of hand.

Speaking of Boxill, we need not forget that she also offered way too many "independent studies" and gave Peppers an A in Feminist Studies. She is also married to a professor in the AFAM/Philosophy departments. Bernard Boxill once wrote that if a student requests an A in a class, he or she should be given an A regardless of other considerations. (That info was once posted over at PackPride. I never did get his book to see if the quote were legit).

Reactions: TM2013 and jarms24

"I loved the NCAA’s response: “When a member institution allows an academic department to provide benefits to student athletes that are materially different from the general student body, it is the NCAA’s business,” officials wrote.

“When a member institution uses ‘special arrangement’ courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes eligible, it is the NCAA’s business."
What that statement SHOULD mean is that any and ALL student-athletes that took that class are deemed ineligible and any games in which they participated in shall be vacated.
After that statement, the NCAA can't just punish some and not all. But I've read where they might only go back to somewhere around the year 2000, which is a hard slap, but they need to keek going another 7, 8, 10, 12 years.

Reactions: TM2013
Rooferees had a lot to do with that as well. Never seen a team benefit more from questionable officiating in a single tournament. Arky had them on the ropes and got screwed on 2 consecutive, very critical plays down the stretch. Our game vs them was probably the most horribly officiated game I've ever watched. So yeah, you're right in a sense that they were eligible to compete due to all the obfuscation and stonewalling, but man, Higgins. That dbag cost us.
This is precisely why I believe they're getting hammered. The NCAA was bound & determined to hand deliver that 2017 banner to soften the net results of their punishment: the loss of both the '05&'09 titles.

After i saw that, i finally think theyre getting hammered.

They paid millions and millions and were about to get away with it, then poked the bear when they said it was none of their business.

This is precisely why I believe they're getting hammered. The NCAA was bound & determined to hand deliver that 2017 banner to soften the net results of their punishment: the loss of both the '05&'09 titles.
Completely agree!!!

NCAA also took a pass on the "wheels for heels" program.

Once they got on the academic fraud bus, all other sins were apparently absolved.

Reactions: TM2013
ADVERTISEMENT