ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga schedule

Its a Joke they are taking a top seed from teams that are battle tested almost every night. I understand they beat Duke, but one big win doesnt make a resume. The best team outside of them in their conference is San Francisco with a RPI rating of 50......

Their schedule is a joke every year but every year they are legit and this year even moreso . Best Gonzaga team with exception of the team 2 years which was better . I think UK and UVA ( and Duke when Zion is healthy ) are slightly better but Gonzaga is a top 4 team .
They already beat duke with a healthy Williamson, but I guess that don't count because duke is the greatest team in the history of college basketball for the 3rd year in a row, right bilis.

Gonzaga is a good team no doubt , but I don't think they are as mentally tuff or get that way through out the year playing in that conference. I think they are a elite eight at best .

In the football bowl selection, the degree of opposition faced during the season definitely influences whether you end up in major bowls or the playoff bowls. UCF claimed a national championship a year ago having an undefeated season and beating Auburn in their bowl game. But, while the SEC and power conferences beat each other up during the season, UCF played Temple, etc. Gonzaga has had excellent teams and obviously several final four appearances. But, playing one or two really tough teams and then a bunch of bunnies isn't exactly fair as well. Kentucky, as well as other SEC teams or other major conferences, have had injuries, sprains, physically taxing exhausting games, while Gonzaga has mainly played the Sisters of the Poor or Washington Generals.

When the NCAA tourney starts often there have been great teams that lose because of players being out or having some type of injuries, or similar physical deterioration for their season. If Gonzaga plays in a crummy league you could argue it is not their fault but nevertheless that shouldn't allow top seeding either. Their road games are nothing like Kentucky's.

Reactions: awf and EliteBlue
They already beat duke with a healthy Williamson, but I guess that don't count because duke is the greatest team in the history of college basketball for the 3rd year in a row, right bilis.
You are correct , just ask ESPN , the greatest team ever assembled, so good no matter if the lose a game or not they still deserve the over all number one seed. Heck maybe we shouldn't even play the NCAA tournament and just award the rat face bastard the trophy

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
They appear to be the best team in the country right now. Kentucky fans always want Kentucky to be the best, so comparison and opposition research is unavoidable.
No, Kentucky fans have lived the "well, the SEC is down this year, so we're going to give UK a lower seed and ignore their non-conf success" mantra for years, yet Gonzaga gets a pass in what is very likely the most laughable conference in the entire country.

Gonzaga is a good team no doubt , but I don't think they are as mentally tuff or get that way through out the year playing in that conference. I think they are a elite eight at best .
They will need a favorable bracket to open up to get that far, IMO. People here know I'm not on the Gonzaga bandwagon, but that doesn't mean I don't know basketball or I'm "stupid and arrogant" (as OtherGreatOne called me the other day, for no apparent reason). It means my opinion is that they don't pass the eye test when I've seen them play. And I have no idea how they beat Duke given what I've seen from them in 5-6 games in their WCC. It's almost like Duke laid down just to take pressure off of themselves, or to give the Zags a carrot (I know, tin hat conspiracy, but it's hard to explain otherwise when you've seen Gonzaga play multiple other times).

So my anti-Gonzaga train is simply based on nothing more than my anecdotal eye test/gut feel. If they don't get a favorable bracket (like Nevada, Houston, Murray St., or some other "mid-major" with high ranking but low schedule strength) and end up with teams like TTech, Iowa, Mich St., KU, VTech, Michigan, UT, LSU, then they'll have a tough time getting through the S16.

But that won't happen as they tend to get the Duke bracket treatment, so their side will be more like Houston, Nevada, Wofford, Buffalo, Wisconsin, or Louisville. Teams that present on paper as tough Div. 1 opponents from tough conferences, but that aren't really a major threat to Gonzaga.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Gonzaga is definitely a good team. I don’t think one great out of conference win however should equal a one seed which they are all but locked in for. Overall body of work should count which it always has but seemingly doesn’t apply in all cases. They are 1-2 against the only 3 quality teams they have played and get a 1 seed? Sorry not right. No issues giving them a 2 seed if they are legit (which they are) but should not be just gifted the 1.

Why are you so worried about Gonzaga ?
Considering they have been seeded as a top 4 seed or better in 8 of the last 15 years....this has turned into a situation where a team is constantly taking up high seeds but plays nearly a D2 level of schedule. Also considering they routinely do not advance in the NCAA tourney as high as they are seeded....they are essentially causing imbalance in NCAA tournament which to me is very relevant to UK (and any other school).

In the football bowl selection, the degree of opposition faced during the season definitely influences whether you end up in major bowls or the playoff bowls. UCF claimed a national championship a year ago having an undefeated season and beating Auburn in their bowl game. But, while the SEC and power conferences beat each other up during the season, UCF played Temple, etc. Gonzaga has had excellent teams and obviously several final four appearances. But, playing one or two really tough teams and then a bunch of bunnies isn't exactly fair as well. Kentucky, as well as other SEC teams or other major conferences, have had injuries, sprains, physically taxing exhausting games, while Gonzaga has mainly played the Sisters of the Poor or Washington Generals.

When the NCAA tourney starts often there have been great teams that lose because of players being out or having some type of injuries, or similar physical deterioration for their season. If Gonzaga plays in a crummy league you could argue it is not their fault but nevertheless that shouldn't allow top seeding either. Their road games are nothing like Kentucky's.
If they would have beat UT and UNC (maybe even just 1 of those) then I wouldn’t care too much that they are rewarded a 1 or 2.

But with a schedule that bad and goin 1-2 against major competition, a 2 with the hardest path should be their competition, if not a hard path 3. Make them prove it over 4-5 very competitive games instead of getting to benefit from a 1 and not having a real challenge until the E8.

At that point, cream comes to the top and they are either vindicated or exposed. Hell, we were the overall # 1 and undefeated in a major conf and had to go through and athletic Cincy team that ppl thought had the athletes to match up, a top 25 WVU, #2 offensive efficiency ND, #1 in the last decade offensive efficiency Wisconsin....just to make t to the title game. <<<<that’s the type of path they deserve.

Gonzaga is definitely a good team. I don’t think one great out of conference win however should equal a one seed which they are all but locked in for. Overall body of work should count which it always has but seemingly doesn’t apply in all cases. They are 1-2 against the only 3 quality teams they have played and get a 1 seed? Sorry not right. No issues giving them a 2 seed if they are legit (which they are) but should not be just gifted the 1.
Yeah, they have 1 legit win! Even the past couple of years some teams in their conference have been ok, but I just don't think they have the resume to be a 1, you can't just assume they are a top team because the beat Duke in November.

Their schedule is a joke every year but every year they are legit and this year even moreso . Best Gonzaga team with exception of the team 2 years which was better . I think UK and UVA ( and Duke when Zion is healthy ) are slightly better but Gonzaga is a top 4 team .

I think this Gonzaga team is better than the title runner up team. People on here keep dismissing them and are fools for doing so.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
I think this Gonzaga team is better than the title runner up team. People on here keep dismissing them and are fools for doing so.
Gonzaga may be the best team in the country, just like Central Florida may have been, but they do not have the resume to be a 1 seed. Gonzaga gets the chance to play for the title though unlike UCF.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

They have some really good pieces and Few is a great coach, but they are 1-2 in their only tough games this season. While their team is good, why do they deserve to be a 1-seed?

They have some really good pieces and Few is a great coach, but they are 1-2 in their only tough games this season. While their team is good, why do they deserve to be a 1-seed?

If we are basing this on resume, then no.......they shouldn't be number 1. They prob aren't even a 2 or 3 seed if we are basing it strictly on resume.

But common sense has to come into play here. They lack a resume because they play in a crap conference.

So they need to be based on what they do against who they play.

All advanced metrics point to the Zags being good and I think that's what needs to be factored in while seeding them.

You mean playing Pacific is not like playing in Knoxville? I find that hard to believe.

I don't have any issue with Gonzaga because they play a good non conference schedule (it's out of necessity but they do it) and they consistently are a top program. Their league hurts them in NCAA's as they've gone a long time without playing elite competition so they have to adjust again to facing that and bad habits can be developed. But this year's Zags are a very talented team much like their group that lose in '17 Title Game. Best program out West by a large margin and fully expect them in Final Four this year. Think they are one of the best 4 teams in country.

If we are basing this on resume, then no.......they shouldn't be number 1. They prob aren't even a 2 or 3 seed if we are basing it strictly on resume.

But common sense has to come into play here. They lack a resume because they play in a crap conference.

All advanced metrics point to the Zags being good and I think that's what needs to be factored in while seeding them.
Lets just say a team like Auburn had Gonzaga's schedule, other than the Duke win which was big, would a middle of the pack SEC team not run through that conference and have inflated numbers?

Then as a previous poster said, give them a tough 2 or 3 seed path and let them prove it. Rewarding them a 1 with their questionable schedule strength and performance in OOC games that offers them a quick path to the S16 or E8 does nothing to prove they are this amazing team people are underestimating.

Proof is in the pudding. When they get to the title game by going through the highest-seeded path in NCAA tournament history, that proves nothing except they are some lucky SOBs (or they get special treatment by selection committee).

Of course their advanced metrics look good. They are a really good team that has feasted on very bad teams incapable of scoring on them and incapable of defending them.

I look like a really good basketball player when going against my 8-year-old son (that's half my height) in the driveway, just saying. Do I deserve a reward? I mean, my metrics look good. I make most of my shots and average about 20 blocks per game against my son....see what I mean?

Gonzaga could have scheduled more tough games, or simply not lost to the good teams they did play.

They shouldn't be excluded from the tournament, but they should not be rewarded with a 1-seed simply because they haven't lost to the vastly inferior schools they have played.

This isn't even the WCC of years past when at least St. Mary's was good and another team or two was halfway decent. They literally have no competition this season. None.

Seeding, specifically, is (or should be) solely about overall body of work. Reality is, their overall body of work is about a 4-seed at best. If they are as good as they appear to be, then they will win games in the tournament regardless of where they are seeded. I'm not saying they aren't a legit team. I think they are really good, and frankly, 1 of the 6 teams capable of winning the whole thing based on their talent and coaching. However, they haven't earned a 1-seed. They just haven't.

Some speculate inferior opponents might be part of why Kentucky couldn't go undefeated in 2015. It was no fault of their own, Kentucky was just too damn good and too damn deep. But it seems they were never really tested toward the end. Maybe a little complacent and confident? They lost touch of how to play when the game was on the line.

If the time comes when Gonzaga gets punched in the mouth, how will they react?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

Unless it's Kentucky, and then all those anecdotal things we non-Gonzaga-bandwagon folks are harping on to be considered when seeding Gonzaga this year are always applied.

Of course their advanced metrics look good. They are a really good team that has feasted on very bad teams incapable of scoring on them and incapable of defending them.

I look like a really good basketball player when going against my 8-year-old son (that's half my height) in the driveway, just saying. Do I deserve a reward? I mean, my metrics look good. I make most of my shots and average about 20 blocks per game against my son....see what I mean?

Gonzaga could have scheduled more tough games, or simply not lost to the good teams they did play.

They shouldn't be excluded from the tournament, but they should not be rewarded with a 1-seed simply because they haven't lost to the vastly inferior schools they have played.

This isn't even the WCC of years past when at least St. Mary's was good and another team or two was halfway decent. They literally have no competition this season. None.

Seeding, specifically, is (or should be) solely about overall body of work. Reality is, their overall body of work is about a 4-seed at best. If they are as good as they appear to be, then they will win games in the tournament regardless of where they are seeded. I'm not saying they aren't a legit team. I think they are really good, and frankly, 1 of the 6 teams capable of winning the whole thing based on their talent and coaching. However, they haven't earned a 1-seed. They just haven't.

All of this you said can be supported quite easily by looking back on the controversies UK has gone through with seeding and how the selection committee nearly always throws out "yeah, but the SEC was down this year" along with "overall body of work". That applies only to particular teams these days, apparently, and Gonzaga and a few other teams always get the pass (propping up mid-majors for "fairness" is likely the reason, along with driving viewership for the "underdog", David vs. Goliath match ups). Hell, I've even heard this excuse used at the same time Gonzaga's comical conference schedule strength has been ignored and they've been given a high seed anyway.

Lets just say a team like Auburn had Gonzaga's schedule, other than the Duke win which was big, would a middle of the pack SEC team not run through that conference and have inflated numbers?

Inflated yeah definitely.

To the extent of the Zags probably not.

I mean the zags have been in this conference before. They’ve had really good teams in the past. They are putting up video game like numbers lol

But any good advanced metric factors SOS in. So the conference thing is a mute point when talking about this unless we feel the SOS isn’t being weighted properly.

What would their conference record be if they were in the SEC or ACC? Likely have 3-4 losses at this point is my opinion but you know what they say about opinions.

To me the most obvious thing would be if you looked at the Vegas spreads. Kenpom and sagarin pretty much mirror Vegas. On a neutral court the zags would be favored against any team not names Virginia or Duke

Considering they have been seeded as a top 4 seed or better in 8 of the last 15 years....this has turned into a situation where a team is constantly taking up high seeds but plays nearly a D2 level of schedule. Also considering they routinely do not advance in the NCAA tourney as high as they are seeded....they are essentially causing imbalance in NCAA tournament which to me is very relevant to UK (and any other school).
This is so wrong it's not even funny. In the last 10 NCAA Tournaments, they have advanced to or exceeded their seed expectation, in 9 of them. Only once, did they lose prior to where they should have advanced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT