ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga averaging 96.0 ppg

STL_Cat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
That’s an insane number. What’s the highest ppg average for a D1 college basketball team over the last 20-30 years or so?

Reactions: Philstat
Loyola Marymount was over 100 ppg in the early 90’s. I’m too lazy to look up exact numbers though.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Loyola Marymount was over 100 ppg in the early 90’s. I’m too lazy to look up exact numbers though.

They were the first team I thought about, Too. But that’s going back a long way.

Reactions: gojvc
I guarantee we could hold them under 60 in a match up, by the end of the season, the last thing Gonzaga wants in the tournament is a game against UK. Put Toppin up on the wing with Askew = lights out meatballs! We would shut them down harder than an Amazon Labor Union!

I guarantee we could hold them under 60 in a match up, by the end of the season, the last thing Gonzaga wants in the tournament is a game against UK. Put Toppin up on the wing with Askew = lights out meatballs!

They may get their wish in either an 8/9 second rd game. Or a 1 seed/16 Seed game. But not sure we can hold them to 60.

They are solid but I never have confidence they will win a championship......that’s a good thing since I’m a Kentucky fan.

They are solid but I never have confidence they will win a championship......that’s a good thing since I’m a Kentucky fan.

Well the odds are always in favor of the field over 1 team. But there’s no one team I’d pick ahead of them.

Reactions: Montana81
You think the Zags are going to the NIT?

Lol. No. Just think only way we get them is one of those scenarios. Not that we are going to make the tourney, but only way we will see the Zags IMO

They were the first team I thought about, Too. But that’s going back a long way.
Didn’t we play them back then and they were talking trash about running is out of the gym but then we beat them. Or was that southern or somebody like that?

Lates or early 90s does this ring any bells?

Didn’t we play them back then and they were talking trash about running is out of the gym but then we beat them. Or was that southern or somebody like that?

Lates or early 90s does this ring any bells?

I think you may be thinking about southern against the 1988 Kentucky team.

Is it just me, or do the Zags/Baylor always have games postponed when they've gotta play somebody good? Dont get me wrong they're some good ass teams but damn man, lets see'm play somebody that'll give them a run for that money lol...

They may get their wish in either an 8/9 second rd game. Or a 1 seed/16 Seed game. But not sure we can hold them to 60.
Zero chance we could get a 16 seed. Those spots are always reserved for the automatic qualifiers from the worst mid-major conferences.

If we were to somehow squeeze in, it would likely be as an 11 or 12 seed, which is where they typically put the worst major conference teams to get in.

Reactions: Montana81
I really think its time they join the Pac12.. not that the pac12 is great, but they clearly have outgrown their shit conference and its kind of garbage that Gonzaga basically gets to walk to 1 or 2 seed on the backs of Pepperdine and Santa Clara. Time to move from Middle School to Highschool and stop beating up 5th graders.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Making 66% of their 2s.
Only turning it over 15.4% of the time
AND Rebounding 35.3% of their misses.

I mean.......that's insanely good.

Gonzaga since 2013 in adjusted offensive efficiency ranks:

13 = 3rd
14 = 35th
15 = 5th
16 = 22nd
17 = 16th
18 = 14th
19 = 1st
20 = 1st
21 = 1st

Reactions: Jsjumpman49
Is it just me, or do the Zags/Baylor always have games postponed when they've gotta play somebody good? Dont get me wrong they're some good ass teams but damn man, lets see'm play somebody that'll give them a run for that money lol...

You mean like when Gonzaga played and beat Kansas, West Virginia, Iowa, and Virginia?

I guarantee we could hold them under 60 in a match up, by the end of the season, the last thing Gonzaga wants in the tournament is a game against UK. Put Toppin up on the wing with Askew = lights out meatballs! We would shut them down harder than an Amazon Labor Union!

The problem is, we'd only have 30.

I really think its time they join the Pac12.. not that the pac12 is great, but they clearly have outgrown their shit conference and its kind of garbage that Gonzaga basically gets to walk to 1 or 2 seed on the backs of Pepperdine and Santa Clara. Time to move from Middle School to Highschool and stop beating up 5th graders.

I don’t disagree that they could be better suited in a different conference, but they played and beat a lot of good teams non conference. They made it obvious with their non conference schedule they’ll play and beat anybody anywhere.

That Loyola Marymount team was fun to watch if you like offense. They beat Michigan (with Rumeal Robinson, Terry Mills, Loy Vaught, Sean Higgins, etc.) in the second round 149-115. Then they beat Bama in the Sweet 16 62-60 before losing to UNLV in the Elite 8 131-101. Video game numbers! Well, except for the Bama game.

I don’t disagree that they could be better suited in a different conference, but they played and beat a lot of good teams non conference. They made it obvious with their non conference schedule they’ll play and beat anybody anywhere.

Yes that's true.. but its really this year and I think one other, that had a great OOC slate.. several other years weren't anything special. Gonzaga has ramped up, and its clear this team and the last season or two, have surpassed many of their past teams. So I do think its time they make the jump.

Yeah, they'll score 90+, but they will also allow the Pepperdine's of the world to score 70+ and that just shouldn't happen.
There are more possessions in an up and down game, but you can't allow Pepperdine to put up 70.
IDK, maybe Gonzaga just mailed it in the last 5 minutes, which is a strong possibility, but that's still too many. Eventually they are going to need to stop teams from scoring.

I wonder if they would prefer that.

Someone always makes the argument well yeah they cruise in conference and they don't get challenged.

I think that stuff tends to get overrated when talking about the NCAA tournament but it does make me wonder if they would prefer to be in the Pac 12.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I wonder if they would prefer that.

Someone always makes the argument well yeah they cruise in conference and they don't get challenged.

I think that stuff tends to get overrated when talking about the NCAA tournament but it does make me wonder if they would prefer to be in the Pac 12.
The PAC12 doesn’t want them, Gonzaga's football program would be the reason why. Everything hinges on football with these P5 conferences.

Cats leading scorer this year is averaging just over 11 points a game and is about the last guy you’d go to if you needed a basket

Not a fit at all for Pac 12. intramural football wont work.

The PAC12 doesn’t want them, Gonzaga's football program would be the reason why. Everything hinges on football with these P5 conferences.
They need to go independent like ND in football so they can play a partial PAC12 schedule in basketball but the league doesn’t have to worry about them on football. They just won’t get the same cut of the league money since it’s basketball only.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
That's the highest scoring average since Texas Christian in 98. The 2017 Kentucky team finished sixth in scoring (84 or so). Gonzaga is looking at their third straight year of having the scoring title.
All those tough conference games against....er...what confrence are they in anyhow?
They are lights out this year though....best team Ive seen this year and it's not really close.

ADVERTISEMENT