ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

^ Being one that sometimes finds themself OB , don’t think they went far enough with the rule. Should treat it as a hazard, stroke penalty and play it two club lengths from where it went OB.

But that’s JMO. Guess they want to avoid some trying to play it out of the ‘hazard’, i.e. someone’s backyard but still think it’s a bit punitive. But, I am biased due to my lack of skills.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
DqI2PnNWwAIl6iK
#1 just made our rounds 10 minutes faster.

^ Being one that sometimes finds themself OB , don’t think they went far enough with the rule. Should treat it as a hazard, stroke penalty and play it two club lengths from where it went OB.

But that’s JMO. Guess they want to avoid some trying to play it out of the ‘hazard’, i.e. someone’s backyard but still think it’s a bit punitive. But, I am biased due to my lack of skills.

Hard disagree. Having OB in play changes everything when you step onto a tee, as it should. That would allow anyone to simply drive up, take your drop, and then potentially 2 putt for bogey or even make Par. Out of Bounds is the ultimate penalty in golf, and 1 stroke & no distance would take that away.

The rules, to me, seem designed in the spirit to improve pace & eliminate "silly" unintentional things that happen -- not take away penalties for bad golf shots or make the game "easier."

-The biggest issue w/ the Drop & 2 strokes is going to be the drop itself. Average golfer will be dropping from about 270, when his duck hook probably went in just past the 200 yd marker. :grimace: :100points:

I'm assuming local/club tournaments will still play OB as standard stroke & distance.

Last edited:
Can’t argue with that. As I said, I’m a bit biased.

BTW - got a call from Bear Trace who said someone found a hybrid with your name on it on 9. Somewhere in the right hazard.

No idea how it got there.

I’m torn on whether to use the OB rule for myself. Probably will just retee and not ever use it, unless a tourney allows.

Reactions: treuxbleux
No penalty for accidentally striking the ball with your club on the putting green is waaaaaay too lenient.

Last edited:
#1 just made our rounds 10 minutes faster.
I'm not sure I've ever played in a group that even remotely timed it. Usually either find the ball or the guy that hit it says forget it and drops. Agree it speeds up play but sometimes it just takes a while to find a ball without spotters.

Late to the party but doing everything possible to kill time until tip off....

We pretty much play a "use your best judgement" style rule. First hole of $2 game, take a minute to look and lets move along. Closing hole(s) of a club championship or decent chunk of change, lets try to find that ball.

Also agree with BBDK on the OB rule. Having "true" out of bonds in play can make a short hole with a relatively easy tee shot and turn it into a absolute pressure cooker. Especially after you just watched your first one sail into the into abyss.

Still not sure why there is no relief from a ball in a sanded divot in the fairway.

Hell, let’s just start playing it up everywhere, no penalty. 2 off first and tenth tee, tee it up in fairway if you want, one mully per 9, etc. [eyeroll]

Well I figured it was a given that you hacks would approve of and be excited about the new changes which enable cheaters. And also my proposed additions.

We all aspire to be half as good as you Tub. You are the golf god of the paddock. You’re so good we believe everything you say even though you’ve never shown any proof.

Forget god you are the Wizard of the Paddock hiding behind the greens curtain occasionally deciding to impart some of your wisdom on us lowly hacks.

ADVERTISEMENT